RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I'd leave the Milky Way just to get away from people who have no sense of adventure. Nobody ever asks "why send a probe beyond Pluto?" Or "why explore the bottom of the Marianas Trench?"

But they do ask "why build intelligent machines?" Which is kind of a racist question to ask if you think about it.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

But we have sent a probe beyond Pluto, both Voyagers are now much further from the sun than Pluto at its furthest orbit.  In fact, both Voyagers are now leaving the solar system or have left already, depending on the definition of the edge of our solar system...  I guess it would be the outer edge of the Oort Cloud.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My guess for leaving the galaxy would either be the reapers or just because

Because the Milky Way frowns on incestual relations? BTW, lets get to BW selling point; Who's ****able?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'd leave the Milky Way just to get away from people who have no sense of adventure. Nobody ever asks "why send a probe beyond Pluto?" Or "why explore the bottom of the Marianas Trench?"

But they do ask "why build intelligent machines?" Which is kind of a racist question to ask if you think about it.

again, no sense o' scale.  the milky way is so enormous, it is unlikely you can genuine conceive the actual distances involved and the number o' planets it contains.  is numbers so large they only got sense o' scale relative to other gross large numbers. you mention the marianas trench?  the ocean floor on this planet has been mapped 'bout 5% complete.  

literal hundreds of billions of stars in this galaxy.  by the time this galaxy has been exhausted o' far horizons, the human species will be long dead or evolved into something complete unrecognizable as human anyways.  even with ftl travel o' the mass effect universe, you need know where you is going, and once you get there it is gonna take considerable time and effort to explore.  

am not even gonna touch the silly ai paranoia/concerns = racism nonsense.

HA! Good Fun! 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

When I was reading through some info on official ME: Andromeda website last time we've had this discussion, apparently:

a) Andromeda is supposed to be a privately funded project. We do actually have historical precedents for rich weirdos going "You wanna do this illogical and risky thing for potential fame and fortune?" and sufficient other weirdos replying with "Yes."

b) Said weirdo has apparently also detected extremely resource-rich systems in Andromeda galaxy, of a kind which are difficult enough to locate around Milky Way as it is (remember that Milky Way is not explored systematically - mass effect relays catapult you all over the place, and exploring Milky Way outside of bounds of relays is not really allowed because of Rachni incident - which might be another reason to shoot for another galaxy, not stirring trouble in our own after that happened.)

c) Powerful species routinely wipe out all life in Milky Way, which is part of the main storyline of ME. It has been implied that this is the most important reason for sending out ships.

And knowing ME universe, somewhere along the lines there'll be some sort of 'unexpected' twist about REAL motives for sending ships into Andromeda galaxy.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Yeah, my understanding of the Andromeda project was the founders took Shepherd's warning about the reapers harvesting the galaxy seriously, and went for another galaxy to ensure humanity's survival.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

By watching the new trailer of ME:A i have to say this

You put the RPG part of Mass Effect, the exploration part of No Man's Sky, the gameplay of Titanfall, the detective sequences of Batman, a bit of boss fight mechanics from Dragon's Dogma and a patchwork use of the Frostbite engine in pot, stir it on medium fire and take it off before it boils, then serve it with a garnish of not so impressive voice acting and you have Andromeda

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

so, knowing how dangerous the edges o' the map in our own galaxy is, a plan to travel for 300 years to a distant galaxy is devised, perhaps to procure unobtanium or somesuch? and considering any intel on andromeda is likely gonna be 600 years old... 

am not doubting a hidden agenda, 'cause what we know so far would result in only morons or condemned criminals being part o' the operation.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

so, knowing how dangerous the edges o' the map in our own galaxy is, a plan to travel for 300 years to a distant galaxy is devised, perhaps to procure unobtanium or somesuch? and considering any intel on andromeda is likely gonna be 600 years old... 

am not doubting a hidden agenda, 'cause what we know so far would result in only morons or condemned criminals being part o' the operation.

HA! Good Fun!

2.5 million year old intel.

You'd get pretty fresh intel once you get there though, since they have their quantum tunneling messaging system.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

"We're running away from the Reapers" was a pretty elegant explanation, but for whatever reason they didn't want to touch upon it. *shrugs*

I too wouldn't wan't my game associated with the fiasco that was the third one.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I didn't know what to think of Death Stranding before and the latest trailer didn't help matters at all.  It's like watching a high resolution Tool music video from the late 90s or early 2000s. Creepy looking stuff happening with presumably some deep metaphysical meaning somewhere in there that I can't even begin to grasp plus some digital famous people doing weird things and having emotions in slow motion with no context I can discern.  I have no clue what this game is going to be in the slightest.  For all I know, it could turn out to be a bullet hell shmup with scantily clad anime girls riding mechanical unicorns.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I didn't know what to think of Death Stranding before and the latest trailer didn't help matters at all.  It's like watching a high resolution Tool music video from the late 90s or early 2000s. Creepy looking stuff happening with presumably some deep metaphysical meaning somewhere in there that I can't even begin to grasp plus some digital famous people doing weird things and having emotions in slow motion with no context I can discern.  I have no clue what this game is going to be in the slightest.  For all I know, it could turn out to be a bullet hell shmup with scantily clad anime girls riding mechanical unicorns.

i have a feeling about what this game may be about but i can't really put it into words. i can see the form of formless abstract things but trying to describe them is beyond my ability.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Woah Sony is not holding back at all. PlayStation Experience 2016  so far has been quite fap worthy. :blink:

It was great. Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Nioh, Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Tales of Berseria and more all in 2017. it'll be a crazy (good) year.

• Like 1

Let's talk about sects, baby

Updated with actual info

Monks and Mystics is the latest expansion to Crusader Kings II, the hit medieval grand strategy role-playing game from Paradox Development Studio. In Monks and Mystics, the religious aspect of the game is further explored with new mechanics and character associations that can tie a faith closer together or render it asunder.

The major feature of Monks and Mystics is the addition of Societies – secret and otherwise. Characters can join monastic orders, secret cults and Gnostic heresies. As the society gains members, it gains power and prestige for its leaders. Societies open new actions for characters and can lead to new event paths.

Monks and Mystics includes:
Monastic Orders: With lay offices available to non-clerical characters, monastic orders will increase your character’s piety - but they have expectations.
Cults: Gnostic heresies may flourish and its is rumored that the worship of Satan continues in the darkened fringes of the world
Climb the Ranks: Characters work their way up the ladder of Societies, unlocking new abilities and triggering new event chains
Hunt for Heretics: Send your chaplain out to find secret societies that undermine the holy church and your realm. But what if the hunter is guilty himself?
Other New Councillor Actions: Your councillors have a fourth action that will make them more powerful and integral to sound rulership
And much more: Assassins, archaeological expeditions, holy relics, great treasures and more

Free games updated 3/4/21