[1.1.4.3] Harpy Monks at The Temple: many many odd things happen (part I)

mccrispy

Question

This is similar to http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89898-harpy-monk-temple-location/

Device: BlueStacks emulator
PACG build: 1.1.4.3

Pass & Play: OFF
Permadeath: OFF
Mode: Story
Party Members: Sajan, Ezren, Seelah, Merisiel, Kyra, Valeros
Turn Order: per party
Scenario: 4.2
Difficulty: Normal
Wildcards: N/A
Trigger: Harpy Monk

I finally got past my Kyra Exorcist Heal Lock (well, I say "got past", I had to delete the party) and started to make progress again, but at least I had some confidence that it wouldn't happen again.

Ezren was on his own at the Temple with the intention of dealing with the Harpy Monk that I knew was the only card there, when he encountered a Harpy Monk. I was running low on resources, so rather than waste them I just rolled straight dice for the Wisdom checks (besides, I had Mountain Peaks and Guard Tower? in play so not starting turns in those locations was a good thing). Everyone except Kyra (and Merisiel?) ended up at the Temple. I did try a Blessing on Ezren's check but - as usual when I roll 3 dice - all the dice were 1s or 2s so failed. Unfortunate! At first I thought that there was a bug that didn't allow me to play the Wand of Scorching Ray vs. the Harpy Monks with a failed Wisdom. But then I noticed that I had no dice rather than a D4

post-163870-0-69029400-1477386322_thumb.jpg

A quick VRT fixed that problem fortunately. I can't quite remember what happened next (it was 0230 "last night" and I'm writing this up after 6 hours sleep) but I encountered the map overlaid on location issue that I previously reported from a completely separate instance

post-163870-0-85173600-1477386518_thumb.jpg

Nevertheless, I soldiered on.

Suddenly, Ezren finds himself at Mountain Peak! (which is where Seelah had been). No Harpy Monk visible, check in progress but clearly still locked out of spells

post-163870-0-70845600-1477386803_thumb.jpg

A quick VRT fixed that one, so now we're back in action. Against a Harpy Monk that Ezren encountered at the Temple, but which is now at Mountain Peak! Except that it isn't, but that's where the combat is taking place!!!!

post-163870-0-65418600-1477386982_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the WoSR was now available as I'd hoped and - with some assistance from the party - the Harpy Monk defeated. The next surprise was that Ezren was able to close Mountain Peak! Seriously! Check the screenies and note that the Blessing Deck count isn't changing in this entire sequence.

post-163870-0-90319700-1477387282_thumb.jpg post-163870-0-10316700-1477387310_thumb.jpg post-163870-0-57147400-1477387341_thumb.jpg

Well, that was fun! Only we're not done yet!

You remember that most of the rest of that party were at Temple and that the only card present was the Harpy Monk? Well, it was Seelah's turn next and guess what? Yup, Harpy Monk! I'm going to post that as a Part II to this post as I've exceeded my file upload limit for this post (yes, I know about DropBox links). Continue reading at http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89925-1143-harpy-monks-at-the-temple-many-many-odd-things-happen-part-ii/

Edited by mccrispy

4 answers to this question

It seems like (at least for me - given that nobody else is responding to this thread) that meeting Harpy Monks at the Temple is completely <ExpletiveDeleted> up! Every single time I encounter a Harpy Monk at the Temple, something goes horribly wrong with the game logic. The list of things that goes wrong is too long and too complex to list here, I just cannot believe that nobody else has seen this. I'm going to video my next game just to show how bad it gets.

I just cannot believe that nobody else has seen this.

That makes it sound like the issue is due to your emulation.  I haven't seen anything unusual with harpies so far.  Unfortunately, unless users on supported devices start seeing these issues, the devs aren't likely to look into them.  

I just cannot believe that nobody else has seen this.

That makes it sound like the issue is due to your emulation.  I haven't seen anything unusual with harpies so far.  Unfortunately, unless users on supported devices start seeing these issues, the devs aren't likely to look into them.

Graphics and sound issues I'm absolutely happy to write off as emulator-related. But game code logic is game code logic. Besides, the list of "supported devices" is very short and it's not as though I haven't reported a bug or two in my time - bugs that have been repro'd by OBS. What I need to do is figure out the specific triggers to help with the repro. This is now unlikely to happen as I figured a way to work around the problem (which seems to be - at least in part - related to characters having to move): I started the Scenario with all 6 characters at the Temple and just blitzed it. Nobody had to move as a result of a failed check and everything seemed OK.

I had weird stuff happening to me with Temple + Harpy Monks with my Samsung Galaxy S5, but I can't remember what it was anymore. I do remember it rendering the game completely unplayable unless I forfeited the scenario. It happened at night when I was already almost falling asleep, so I didn't have the specifics next morning to do a separate bug report. Just voicing concerns that weird bugs with Temple + Harpy Monks *do* happen on supported devices too!

• Like 1