Well dear guys i'm little crazy and i have many misthycal crisis on my fantasy games and i change a lot chars but my love still remain wizard. As Boeroer says wizard power are spells so i want cast. Running on many posta i see an old build with a blunderbuss + flaming wounds spell (forgot is real name). This is interesting but it works better than blast + flaming wounds? I should do some try but for you which is better? Ofc using flame spell i have to have scion of flames

A lot of flame spells are especially useful in melee range... For example fan of flames, Ray of fire, rolling flame, flame shield, torrent of flame. Combusting wounds is obviously useable on every range, same for (delayed) fireball, wall of flame (although delayed fireball has a smallish range). However, the majority of fire spells are (imo) better used in melee, so I'd recommend going melee for a fire centred wizard.

On what difficulty do you want to play and how do you estimate your skill level? I'll just assume normal/hard and more skill than me... ;)

So for a melee wizard at standard difficulties (basically not PoTD), I'd recommend a balanced stat allocation. Let's say

M 16

C 8

D 14

P 12

I 18

R 8...

Feel free to change around points. probably made some mistakes with how many points there are, but you get the idea ;) . Anyway, for this guy I'd actually not go for summoned weapons, but actually focus on spells and have a nice weapon on the side. Definitely use a small shield... Deflection bonus is great, but we don't want accuracy loss. Do you have white March? If so, go for WF noble, you will find a rapier called spelltounge that increases the duration of selfbuffs. Quite useful.

Anyway, so... Spells (only early levels)

On lvl one I'd say take

Fan of flames (obviously)

Slicken

Eldrich aim

Wizards double

Should give you a useful combo... Wizards double at the start for protection, them Eldrich aim, slicken and then fan of flames. Consider spirit shield if you get interrupted a lot.

On lvl 2 you can go crazy with the fire spells

Combusting wounds

Ray of fire

Rolling flame/Miasma

Bewildering spectacle (to good to miss out on)

You might consider switching one fire spell for miasma since its a really great spell. But obviously that is no necessity. By now, you will have a great repertoire of fire spells :)

Let's finally look at lvl three spells

Fireball

DAoM (so good!!)

Expose vulnerabilities

Repulsive visage/displaced image

One more lvl.. 4

Flame shield

Wall of flame

Pull of Eora

Confusion

Again, lots of nice flame spells... Kill them KILL THEM WITH FIRE

As you continue on, he will become increasingly powerful. By the end of the game he will be a fire God (not talking bout the race).

So... Yeah :)

Don't forget to put a firelash on that weapon of yours ;) For armour go with whatever protection you feel is necessary... Maybe Aru Brerk would fit? It's an unique heavy armour that not only is red and yellow but also gives a bonus to move speed which might be useful for you.

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Hi man, thanks a lot for this detailed advice. 

I play on hard but, truly, i don't like much fire element. I don't know why, maybe i'm boring about fire mages or fire spells, but i normally like more corrosion spells than fire but i see that build which use combustion wounds and i would know if that is viable.

But we are here now and, thanks to your patience, i ask you how make a viable corrosion damage build. 

I have White March, i want make a ranged wizard with corrode damage, apprentice sneak attack, but i'm undecided abut weapon: if taking a sceptre/rod etc or a firearm...

• Like 1

Honestly there's nothing better for a ranged wizard than blast + implement. Mainly because spell chance or spell striking work with the AoE effect - meaning that they proc a lot faster than without blast if you hit a group. Great implements are the soulbound sceptre and the Golden Gaze. And then there's Kalakoth's Minor Blights which is even better. - especially with Combusting Wounds because you'll generate a lot of hits. On top of that comes the fact that Envenomed Strike works with the blast AoE - that means you can poison a whole bunch of enemies with one shot. This is very powerful.

Blast works best gainst groups and does good AoE damage and CC. But against single, powerful enemies it's not the best option.

Here, the combination of 3 to 4 quick switching blunderbusses + Expose Vulnerabilites + Combusting Wounds is very good. If you want to take out one single enemy very quickly, this is a good alternative. I'm playing this variant atm. It's alot of fun and I will post a build about it in the future.

Basically you pile up as much DR bypass as you can and use Combusting Wounds. Then you shoot the enemy with a blunderbuss. This generates 6 Combusting Wounds. Most normal foes will die, for the rest you'll have two or three additional shots. For me it feels even better than a rogue with blunderbuss. First of all, you can stack 18 DR bypass via blunderbuss (4), Pen. Shot (5), Ryona's Vembraces (3), Effigy's Resentment: Devil of Caroc (1) and Expose Vulnerabilites (5). With Lead Spitter even 21. That alone makes the blunderbuss very dangerous in the hands of a wizard. Few enemies have 21 DR. And if they do, it doesn't matter that much because you also will give them a lot of combusting wounds.

And the combination of Combusting WOunds and Expose Vuln. also invites you to cast other multi-projectile spells like Minor Missiles, Bounding Missiles or Concussive Missiles. THos you can add when your blunderbusses are not enough. At the same time, your party also profits a lot from Combusting Wounds and Expose Vuln.

This is a good approach when you want to cast spells mainly but want a panic button when you get rushed. Few "rushers" survive such a barrage of blunderbuss pellets... 

So, you have to decide if you want to focus your weapon attacks on groups (implement + blast) or single enemies (blunderbuss). Your spells - the main source of your power - remain the same of course, so in the end it doesn't make a very huge difference - it just moves your playstyle with weapons into a certain direction.

Combusting Wounds + Expose Vuln. are also good for blast by the way.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Haha, okay, let's see... So sadly right now, I don't have the time to make a full build, but soon I can... Until then:

1. Go ranged

Stats basically the same, you can dump Res/Con even more. Take an implement, blast and give it a corrisive lash.

2. Spells

Switch all fire spells for corrode spells... There are not as many, but they still are very good. Here are a few early ones:

All Conceilhauts siphons deal corrode damage, the necrotic lance does, mauras tentacles do... Otherwise I'd say focus on debuffs to fit the whole decay theme.

Edit: oh well... I'll still add my thoughts later on I guess

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

And everybody knows

If you want to look at a wizard build that uses corrosive/poison spells mostly, look at the Bilestomper build. He's a melee tank, but maybe you get some impressions from reading the build.

As Ben No.3 said, grab an implement you like and enchant it with corrosive lash. Then look for all the corrosive spells and take Spirit of Decay. You can even take Envenomed Strike as I said above because it works with blast and poisons in an AoE. With max MIG and INT it is very powerful - it's like giving you 3 more AoE spells per rest with ~90 raw damage to each target. And you can get it very early. It can turn difficult encounters at the beginning of the game into cakewalks.

• Like 1

Here, the combination of 3 to 4 quick switching blunderbusses + Expose Vulnerabilites + Combusting Wounds is very good. If you want to take out one single enemy very quickly, this is a good alternative. I'm playing this variant atm. It's alot of fun and I will post a build about it in the future.

Basically you pile up as much DR bypass as you can and use Combusting Wounds. Then you shoot the enemy with a blunderbuss. This generates 6 Combusting Wounds.

This really makes me wish there was a melee weapon that does damage in the same way as the blunderbuss, like a cat-o-nine-tails or something. :)

• Like 1

It's a proven fact that I called for the introduction of whips from the beginning of this game. ;)

You can do something similar with stacking retaliation: retaliation of armor, cloak or helmet + retaliation on Sura's Supper Plate + Battle Forgend + Flame Shield + Minoletta's Piercing Sigil and you'll retaliate with up to 5 hits when you get hit. And on top you could hit with nearly 0 recovery (Alacrity + speed enchantment on weapon + Durgan Steel and all), adding a lot of hits from your autoattacks. It might be even better than a blunderbuss. ;) You could use Unforgiven or Starcaller - the first has speed - and the second can stun on crits and then applies Minor Missiles (= 4 hits with one strike).

Edited by Boeroer

Well.. This thread has developed ;)

Just to be a downer: what makes blast/WF adv/dangerous implements definitely worth it is the minor blights... Especially since they give a +20 acc bonus.

Here are some numbers I just tested, with might 21, tested with an unfortunate moon spider (no animals were harmed)

Graze: 21, 27 with dangerous implements

Hit: 34, 42 with implements

Crit: 50, 63 with dangerous implements

Just to remind you, they are technically wands, so they are fast weapons. And this is single target... Damage output will be crazy with blast.

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

Yes - they are really good. With blast they are also very good with Combusting Wounds and also Interrupting Blows - because you will generate a lot of hits. Every blast target triggers another concussion from Minor Blights.

Good good Ben, you always come out with something useful! Though I'm more into tanky classes, I must say that this mage should be fun and strong!

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

You can do something similar with stacking retaliation: retaliation of armor, cloak or helmet + retaliation on Sura's Supper Plate + Battle Forgend + Flame Shield + Minoletta's Piercing Sigil and you'll retaliate with up to 5 hits when you get hit. And on top you could hit with nearly 0 recovery (Alacrity + speed enchantment on weapon + Durgan Steel and all), adding a lot of hits from your autoattacks. It might be even better than a blunderbuss. ;) You could use Unforgiven or Starcaller - the first has speed - and the second can stun on crits and then applies Minor Missiles (= 4 hits with one strike).

Why did Obsidian have to remove focus generation from retaliation. The Backlash Bedlam was such a fun build.

• Like 1

Sorry if it's slightly ot... I always liked the idea of the wicked necromancer that has rotting magic... and wields a ritual dagger or stiletto... is it viable? maybe it's not right what op asks for... but... well my two cent..

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Sorry if it's slightly ot... I always liked the idea of the wicked necromancer that has rotting magic... and wields a ritual dagger or stiletto... is it viable? maybe it's not right what op asks for... but... well my two cent..

Actually, there is a very nice stiletto that fits: Bleak Fang. It has "Touch of Rot" as Spell Striking. Using it one handed would make some sense, too.

Yes, absolutely one handed, nothing off hand... makes a good necromancer... and yes, I saw that stiletto... I like it... wonder if op likes it too...

I don't know how works Bleak Fang but this game lacks a real necromancy magic line. To create a undead summoner/caster need to mix chanter/druid/wizard but for me is a bad thing, especially for POE animancy background. And the best corrode spell of wizard, Death Ring, is a melee spell. I can't understand this way...

WIzard have "phisique du role" to become a necromancer, chanter have summons and druid have many corrode/dot/pestilences spells... 

I'm thinking about a druid necrotic reroll.. With that stiletto and Rotfinger Gloves

However i didn't find Touch of Rot spell in druid spells.. where is it?

Edited by Sciarra Colonna

You're quite right, the concept of necromancer itself mainly got transfered on the chanter, as is the one that can get skeleton evocation, spirits, and so on. Mages are meant to be elementalists, while druids are sorta shapeshiftng buff/debuff nature avengers. In order to achieve a real necromancer one should multiclass :) 

Sometimes, Boeroer can tell this better than me, you have to workaround with equipment to reproduce certain abilities of other classes.

Me, for instance, who play an undead hunter paladin, have to work with swords along with cross class talents. 

How can make an "undead"?

And over all: how can make a ranged mage if best spells are around the mage or 6 meters far mage?

Maura's Tentacles = 6 meters 

Death Ray = 5 meters

Death Ring = 5 meters around caster

Minoletta piercing burst = 3 meters around caster

avoiding ofc fan of flame, ghost blades, corrosive siphon or draining touch.. 

all interesting and, for me, most powerful spell are for melee caster. And a lot of them are "around the caster" that means damage all other characters... A single line melee tank wizard only can use rightly that spells???

an armor with huge rd, Bittercut and shield, a lot of deflection, a lot of dexterity to increase casting time, corrosive damage talent....

Really similar to Bilestomper build as Boeroer said....

Edited by Sciarra Colonna

Touch of Rot used to be a lvl 1 druid spell. It got removed at some point (maybe after beta), don't know why. The only thing where it remains is that stiletto and the Rotfinger Gloves.
With the stiletto you just need to score a crit (shouldn't be too hard with Eldritch Aim, Merciless Gaze and One-Handed Style) and the spell goes off.

There is necromany in the game, and it's not only done by animancers, but also by wizards (look at Concelhaut and his apprentices). Helig of Thein also talks about necromancy and that he used it AND animancy to stay "alive" after he got slain. So those two are not the same. Maybe you have to be of a certain "level" to grasp the secrets of necromancy - like a prestige class.

Death Ring is not a melee only spell. Just because it emanates from the caster doesn't mean it's a melee spell. Its range is so huge (5m base radius) that you can hit a lot of enemies if you're standing in the backline and have decent INT. With 20 INT it has a range of 8m (radius). You can also use it as panic button when enemies try to swarm you - same as Torrent of Flame. For me, the best poison spell "necromancer style" of a wizard is Malignant Cloud. It doesn't work on enenmies which are immune to poison, but besides that it is really strong because of its raw damage and the pulses. Before casting it use Fetid Caress, Noxious Burst or Repulsive Visage (all sicken, lowering fortitude by 10) or even Enervating Terror or Freezing Rake or Whilting Wind (weaken, fort. -20) and then pair it with Chillfog (both target fortitude) and everything that is not immune to poison is dead. 

Most of the spells that emanate from the caster (Death Ring, Minoletta's Piercing Burst) are foe only by the way. You will only harm enemies. Torrent of FLame is an exception, but it has a lower range so you will most likely only hit enemies which surround you. I guess this spell is meant to help you when you get swarmed. It's a fast cast with a lot of damage and it has a short radius.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Really similar to Bilestomper build as Boeroer said....

There is a reason if he went that way...

Matter is... if you want to go ranged you'll have to sacrifice some good spells... or come closer to fray.

Ofc can use "around caster spells" standing in second line but they hurt your teammates... many time i was near to kill palegina or eden :)

Wizard is really powerful but need a micromanagement.

I like ranged caster not for safety but because, for me, a caster is ranged. I've grown with D&D red edition, Baldur's Gate etc. etc. and i can't like totally a melee caster. For ia in Dragon Age: Inquisition too i can't like knight enchanter.

However i'll try..

Ofc can use "around caster spells" standing in second line but they hurt your teammates... many time i was near to kill palegina or eden :)

As I said: most of those spells are foe only. Torrent of Flame is an exception. Fan of FLames, too. But Ghost Blades for example, Death Ring, Minoletta's Piercing Burst etc. are foe only, they will only harm enemies.