Taking it to the hole. Hoops 2K17 Thread.

Leferd

Dubs up 2-0 after thumping the Cavs again.  Cleveland better come up with something, anything to slow down KD, and quick, because Durant is getting whatever he wants.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Dubs up 2-0 after thumping the Cavs again.  Cleveland better come up with something, anything to slow down KD, and quick, because Durant is getting whatever he wants.

The key to slowing down KD is for JR Smith to break Curry's ankles while contesting his jumper. Steph's gravity is the key to Golden State's offensive efficiency -- freeing up better looks for everyone else, and giving KD a steady stream of single coverage.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

This so reminds me of the Miami/SA  series when Miami was outmatched by a clearly better team. Lebron is doing his thing but his teammates are simply not  at the same level. And, while I'm sure he'll say the right things you can tell he is likely frustrated that his teammates can't handle things.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This so reminds me of the Miami/SA  series when Miami was outmatched by a clearly better team. Lebron is doing his thing but his teammates are simply not  at the same level. And, while I'm sure he'll say the right things you can tell he is likely frustrated that his teammates can't handle things.

Or you know, maybe His Highness, King LeBron should let the Cavs play team basketball?

Kobe says it best.

16-0 still in play.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Lebron tried to leave play team offense in the 2nd half.. it was an absolute failure. When Lebron dominated the ball/offense in the 1st halkf, CLE was going toe to toe with GS. The problem is roster wise, GS is simply deeper. GS literally could not stop Lebron when he drives. I mean they even tried mugging him. L0L People talk about James 'unable' to guard Durant but GS can't guard Lebron either. Problem is, AGAIN, basketball is a TEAM sport. CLE won last season because Lebron's teammates like Irving stepped up. Irving hasn't done that (yet).

Series isn't over but CLE will not win until AS A TEAM they outplay GS. LeBron's solo numbers are basically as good as Durant or Curry (the 2 best players on GS) but that is him solo not enough. Durnat had 30+ points again but a bunch of those came later when the game was clearly over and CLE had given up.

Bottom lijnje is that GS the better team and CLE needs a super all in effort by everyone. And, they need to believe they can win. Right now, the Caves look like a team that has already been beaten.

Maybe home court can turn it around but I dunno.

Edited by Volourn

The most impressive thing about KD's play so far in these finals has been his defense.  He's put up eye popping offensive numbers his entire career, before the NBA even, so him dropping 30+ like it's routine (because it is) is nothing new, but his play on the other end of the floor is where he's really stepped it up.  Part of that is his slow but steady improvement on defense, just from better game sense as he's gotten more experience, and part is flat out hustle.  Dude is just everywhere on the court going full throttle on both ends on every play.  It was kind of crazy to see him get moved to center late in game 2 and thrive in a position he's played almost never.  I think KD senses this is his moment to cement his legacy.  No matter what happens he's going to be remembered as a great player and will eventually get into the Hall of Fame.  However, he's missing 2 things on his resume: a championship ring and a Finals MVP.  If he gets both of those this year he moves into first ballot HoFer territory.  I mean, he's arguably one of the 10 best forwards ever.  He wins Finals MVP and there is no argument, it becomes a written in stone fact.

Edit: Now that I think about it, Durant may be top 5 all time forward.  Let's see, name 5 forwards better than KD:

LeBron

Larry 

Duncan

Maybe Dr. J?

Maybe Dirk?

I'm drawing a blank after that.  I think KD is better than Karl Malone and Barkley and I can't think of anyone else I would even consider.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Speaking of Kobe...(and Jalen)

That reaction. Lols.

• Like 1

Gotta give Durant props for showing up at the end after being rather quiet for most of 2nd half. However, where the hell are the Cavs' 3 point shooters? LMAO

Since the Grizz were knocked out I haven't watched any of the games until tonight. What an impressive win though. Kudos to GS for closing the gap in the 4th. Volo is right though. That missed 3 pointer by the Cavs with 12 seconds settled the whole thing.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Zaza the real MVP. Completely nullifying Tristan Thompson in the paint and shutting him down on the boards.

zaza4.jpg

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's because they're Cavs fans and not Lebron fans. I said this before and I'll say it - players owe teams/fans nothinmg (other than honouring contracts they sign which Lebron always has). Because they would never be loyal to them. Just look at all the Cavs fans who burned his jerseys last time and then sucked up to him the moment he went back. Which eh only did because of his ties to the area.

As for rumours, I don't put much stock on them because they only esxist because the Cavs are being squashed. I told everybody that ther Korver trade was not gonna work out. He isn't good enough to get the seperation he needs to get open for his 3 pointers plus he obviously cna't handle the pressure.

Rugby Sevens and Beach Volleyball are superior and more entertaining than their more traditional larger format variants. 3 on 3 Hoop? Not so much I don't think.

PS

The Warriors are now 0-3 in my lifetime when I attend Finals showcases at Oracle Arena. Maybe I should just sell my Game 5 ticket.

Edited by Leferd

It's weird to hear that coming from Kobe

Good point!

Thomas Sowell

Rugby Sevens and Beach Volleyball are superior and more entertaining than their more traditional larger format variants. 3 on 3 Hoop? Not so much I don't think.

PS

The Warriors are now 0-3 in my lifetime when I attend Finals showcases at Oracle Arena. Maybe I should just sell my Game 5 ticket.

I'll agree with half of that. I went to the Rugby Sevens World Cup a few years ago in Vegas. I had a great time but I notices something about the game. The fastest team wins like every match. It's almost preordained. With a full 15 on 15 match there is a lot more strategy and team work. Rugby Sevens is just a footrace with a ball. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean it isn't entertaining. But as a fan of the sport I'd prefer the "real thing". The same with basketball. For me the best part of the game is the way a good team moves the ball using all five players on the floor. Go to 3-3 and it just becomes a shooting match. You take the best parts out.

Thomas Sowell