Best party for plot

Hello, I pledged for the game very early and was a bit disappointed from the game when it came out. The most important aspect for me is the plot and companions etc. and I found it quite not interesting at the beginning ad least.

Now I want to finally give the game another chance but I want to know first who are the most important companions for the plot, which class should I choose plot wise and game wise, especially when taking into consideration the most important npc's that I take with me.

Talking about class I really wanted hunter/ranger, but I heard he is the worst class, so I am unsure who to take now.

Another question about companions: In BGII I used to take with me Jaheira, Minsc and Yoshimo (which is replaced by Imoen) almost every run (since plot wise you start with them... you share your destiny with them against Irenicus - and I prefer plot and story play like I said so that is the most logical option - this is for you to understand what I mean that plot is most important for me), when the other npc's changed over time after a while (I took the 5th and 6th npc for a while, did their quest, and then dumped them for another, I took Viconia to the underdark ... and all that was done for plot and story reasons: traveling with all companions). If that is possible in Pillars also.. then I would like to know what is the best sequence.

I post here cause I don't mind minor spoilers, just want to get advice for best play through story wise.

Edited by MuseBreaks

I believe that companions with information that are the most important for game's plot itself would be Durance and possibly Eder, as they give you information that then relate to the main plot of the game itself. But overall just pick whoever you like, there's still quite a selection in the game.

As for the most interesting class, I'd say Cipher would be the way to go as they get quite a few interesting interactions, but you won't really make a mistake with any class, they're fairly well balanced - yes, even rangers.

Aloth, Eder, Durance, Hiravias, Kana- all most closely connected to the main story.

Aloth and Kana have stories relating to the Leaden Key, Kana also has relevance to the Engwithans, Durance and Eder are both connected to the Godhammer, Hiravias's quest revolves around faith in the gods and has its climax close to the endgame.

As for your class, I'd recommend a wizard or monk, since wizards are the most academic class and monks have an association with seeking enlightenment, either of which ties in well with the story's themes of advancement and the search for truth.

• Like 1

I like to ensure my main character's class is different from the NPCs I know I'll want in the party from a story/lore point of view.  Eder and Durance are the two absolute must-haves as Eder has the best links to the actual plot and Durance has a *lot* of information about why recent history developed as it did.  Grieving Mother and Aloth would probably come in 3rd and 4th place as GM has a great deal to teach about Hollowborn while Aloth aids in understanding the organization you're up against (and to some degree the main character's "condition").  Paladin and druid would fill the other two slots nicely though you can certainly win the game with whatever classes you deem best. 

Hello, I pledged for the game very early and was a bit disappointed from the game when it came out. The most important aspect for me is the plot and companions etc. and I found it quite not interesting at the beginning ad least.

Now I want to finally give the game another chance but I want to know first who are the most important companions for the plot, which class should I choose plot wise and game wise, especially when taking into consideration the most important npc's that I take with me.

Talking about class I really wanted hunter/ranger, but I heard he is the worst class, so I am unsure who to take now.

Actually rangers are great.  There are a few builds to look at in the build forum to help you with talents and abilities if you wish.  Although most seem to agree that the rogue is the weakest character to play they are still completely viable depending on the build and playstyle.