Keyrock's Blue Ridge Thread

Keyrock

Today I leave and go on a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive.  This will be the first road trip for my trusty new steed.

u001d65.jpg

I'll be posting lots of pictures here from my 2 day trek up one of America's most scenic roads.

• Like 7

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Today I leave and go on a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Skyline Drive.  This will be the first road trip for my trusty new steed.

u001d65.jpg

I'll be posting lots of pictures here from my 2 day trek up one of America's most scenic roads.

Blue Ridge Parkway and the Shanendoah area has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. You're in for a treat. Make sure to take a walk along the Appalachian Trail for a while if you have the chance.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Entering the parkway, complete with straw hat and Hawaiian shirt, naturally.

ZQV6yUR.jpg

oYy7FWh.jpg

4pdXS98.jpg

It rained lightly on and off all day today.  The silver lining to that is getting to see some sweet rainbows.

s6h2GeT.jpg

ku0JHBG.jpg

8vnhGXu.jpg

YKIT44v.jpg

• Like 13

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Fantastic vistas, Keyrock! Thank you for sharing! I wish I had that kind of car. I'm just an eco-friendly VW biogas type, station wagon and family and pet friendly.

And I dig your looks. Definitely getting Magnum vibes.

magnum-cast-600fp120910.jpg

• Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Some awesome vistas there, quite envious!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Unfortunately, I highly underestimated how long it would take me to traverse the Blue Ridge, largely due to the sheer overwhelming amount of amazing vistas to stop at.  Plus, a flat tire further set me back.  Hence, I wound up coming up well short of reaching Shenandoah.  Tomorrow I drive back home via interstate.  Still, it was a great trip and I got a ton more pictures to share.  I'll drive up to Shenandoah another time and I'll do the entire Blue Ridge and Skyline Drive trek around this time next year when I can set aside a good 5 or 6 days so that I can take my time and easily make the whole trip.

TPsrpro.jpg

FP38Djm.jpg

fzTjRjT.jpg

c6H0P8W.jpg

DkVbe7e.jpg

dHVTzKG.jpg

I184sZg.jpg

In addition to being breathtakingly beautiful (the pictures don't do it justice), the Blue Ridge is also a super fun road to drive, especially if you own a vehicle with sporty handling.

• Like 6

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Wonderful pictures from a pristine landscape with undulating forests! Fantastic stuff!!

For some reason, it makes me think of the first European settlers arriving to America. They must have been awestruck by it all - the varieties of terrain, huge expanses of it, seemingly up for grabs (This assumption fuelled by them usually regarding native Americans as savages, almost a mere part of the wild fauna, either infantile/peaceful or territorial/ferocious). Heck, even large parts of Europe looked like this around the time of Christ. Nowadays, there are entire countries in Europe that never gets to experience nature like this - think of the crowded Netherlands, for instance. 

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

There are large parts of the US that have been quite deforested, luckily we still have some havens of nearly untouched nature scattered about the country.

RivRaXc.jpg

DQGFlcE.jpg

KuLQSGZ.jpg

YxwwCQs.jpg

• Like 5

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Keyrock, ur making me home sick lol. Very beautiful mountains, I miss them

Where are you currently, if you don't mind me asking?

WbWQcO8.jpg

Xq8QZfC.jpg

6iqsZ2w.jpg

8qmwFAy.jpg

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Very beautiful pictures. I'm about 4-5ish hours away near Winston Salem. lol I'm not that far, just don't have the gas money to just go drive

You're not that much further from the mountains than I am.  I live in The Queen City.

aeXJ2CR.jpg

Xc762Wh.jpg

uznbeBx.jpg

uGSWUFo.jpg

4F9uQW8.jpg

N9dYK96.jpg

I saved my 2 favorite pictures I took for last.  The godrays streaming through the cloud cover looked even more amazing in person.

fNpTXMN.jpg

NPksNfm.jpg

I can imagine European colonists seeing something like that and having a Manifest Destiny moment: God is clearly telling me it's my right to rape the natives and take their land by force.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 6

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I don't think I've ever missed living in NC until now

Great pics

While I have yet to visit Colorado, I imagine you have some lovely vistas out there too.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Autumn has always been my favourite season, that last burst of colour before the coming of the dark, go not quietly into that goodnight as Thomas would say.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!