Is there currently any way - mod or otherwise - to completely respec companions? A la the Level1NPC mod for Baldur's Gate?

As far as I understand it, the IE Mod is not guaranteed to work with the latest patches and EternityKeeper can't really accomplish a full respec?

You can do anything with the build-in console, you don't necessarily need any mod. But that will deactivate achievements

Indeed, you'll need to look up console commands, and do a little bit of simply arithmetic to make sure you reassign the right number of attributes etc.

I assume mods also invalidate achievements, so if you're okay with the console I'd recommend that as the easiest method.

You can do anything with the build-in console, you don't necessarily need any mod. But that will deactivate achievements

Indeed, you'll need to look up console commands, and do a little bit of simply arithmetic to make sure you reassign the right number of attributes etc.

I assume mods also invalidate achievements, so if you're okay with the console I'd recommend that as the easiest method.

IE Mod (also on the nexus) doesn't invalidate achievements, but Eternity Keeper has a visual interface that is much easier to use. Plus it can do things console commands cannot.

If you own the game nobody can inhibit you from using a savegame editor.

Oh the crazy characters I built with Shadowkeeper just for fun.

Once I accepted the fact that rolling for hours trying to get high enough stats to build the character that I wanted was not fundamentally different than just editing the stats via Shadowkeeper I was a much happier  (power)gamer. My half orc fighter/cleric with 19 str, 19 con, 18 dex and 18 wis was a chainsaw when dual wielding his flails. had a blast taking him all the way to TOB with Tutu and SCS.

As far as the Steam achievements go, for some reason it bothers me to see ones uncompleted that were completed while using a mod. So I'll go and use the f4se for Fallout 4 just to get around that. In ciV I remember rolling games on Chieftain just to quickly stomp the AI so that the achievement would get marked off. At least in civ6 they have the achievements set for winning a game at this or a harder difficulty level so a win at Deity would check off all the other eight difficulty levels. 

• Like 2

Why would it be dodgy?

It allows you to circumvent one of the things which usually invalidates achievements. To be fair it's very minor but still.

EDIT: I should add I am not judging others. I couldn't care less about how other people get their achievements, and if using a mod is more fun than not that's great. This is just a personal preference for getting my own achievements.

Edited by JerekKruger

Once I accepted the fact that rolling for hours trying to get high enough stats to build the character that I wanted was not fundamentally different than just editing the stats via Shadowkeeper I was a much happier  (power)gamer. My half orc fighter/cleric with 19 str, 19 con, 18 dex and 18 wis was a chainsaw when dual wielding his flails. had a blast taking him all the way to TOB with Tutu and SCS.

That I can understand. Random stat distributions are obnoxious outside of certain rogue like type games. Also your character is literally a half-god in the BG series, so it doesn't seem to unfair for them to have amazing stats.

As far as the Steam achievements go, for some reason it bothers me to see ones uncompleted that were completed while using a mod. So I'll go and use the f4se for Fallout 4 just to get around that. In ciV I remember rolling games on Chieftain just to quickly stomp the AI so that the achievement would get marked off. At least in civ6 they have the achievements set for winning a game at this or a harder difficulty level so a win at Deity would check off all the other eight difficulty levels. 

To be honest I don't care all that much about Steam achievements most the time, but if I am going to chase them I want to do them "properly" i.e. without mods and ideally without exploits. 

To be honest I don't care all that much about Steam achievements most the time, but if I am going to chase them I want to do them "properly" i.e. without mods and ideally without exploits. 

It just bothers me to see something like 10% complete when I've put in hundreds of hours. I don't have to get 100% or anything OCD but the not awarding the basic % complete bothers me. Plus it lets me gauge how much of the game remains or what I've missed.

The only reason why I would use the mod is to even out experience. I think it's crap that if you hire a party member from a tavern he/she is one level below you and if they sit the bench they get only half experience. And don't give me the "Companions have crappier stats so hirelings have to have a downside." Getting a hireling at level 3 means they're only a tad bit lower than you. This is fine because later in the game they will always be at your level. The problem arises if you hire a new one at say level 12 or something and they will never catch up. And I don't see an issue with re-rolling companions either. I haven't done so myself, because it isn't necessary even on PotD.

I understand the experience imbalance. I'd prefer it if experience were global i.e. all present and future companions had the same experience totals all the time.

And I don't see an issue with re-rolling companions either. I haven't done so myself, because it isn't necessary even on PotD.

Like I said, I don't mind what other people do, I just don't like doing it myself.

In BG I never used Keeper before I completed the game without it (didn't even know about it then).

But when you go back to an old game and wanna have some fun with it you might get a lil crazy about what your char should look like.

In PoE I haven't used the console for a long while and haven't even downloaded Keeper, but it certainly is helpful for correcting mistakes (less so since respecs, that's why I stopped using it) or adapting companion stats.

Sure you could also build uber chars to get your achievements easier but let's be honest the game is a lot flatter than BG and it would be a lot less fun.

(No illegal multiclasses and so on)

I like having companions that talk and chime in and would hate missing out on it, but I severely dislike not having control over the gameplay aspects of my party. It feels like the difficulty is not coming from your understanding of the game but from the developer enforcing sub-optimal choices on you. The fact that you can get around it with hirelings only exacerbates the issue: the developer is asking you to choose between cool content (talking companions) or control over the gameplay. That feels like a pretty arbitrary, bull**** choice to me.

Level1NPC allows me total control to the point where I can customize everything. It sounds like my PoE options (console, keeper, IE Mod) will only allow me a soft respec. A shame.

Edited by Grunker

I like having companions that talk and chime in and would hate missing out on it, but I severely dislike not having control over the gameplay aspects of my party. It feels like the difficulty is not coming from your understanding of the game but from the developer enforcing sub-optimal choices on you. The fact that you can get around it with hirelings only exacerbates the issue: the developer is asking you to choose between cool content (talking companions) or control over the gameplay. That feels like a pretty arbitrary, bull**** choice to me.

Level1NPC allows me total control to the point where I can customize everything. It sounds like my PoE options (console, keeper, IE Mod) will only allow me a soft respec. A shame.

I repeat you get level 1 npc when you disable autoleveling.

The only thing you can't change is atrributes.

You can reroll all the companions levels save for level 1 and their stat distribution. And their stat distribution is fine for PotD as well. Sure if you roll a character yourself you will put in stat points more optimally, but in all honesty having 2 points moved from one stat to the other is not going to win or lose you the fight. There's so many ways to buff your characters with items, food, potions and spells that their base stats mean less and less the further you get into the game.

I think it's fine if the predefined compantions have their stats locked in. I mean they're part of the story and have their own background. It'd make sense for them to have a certain stat distribution. If you want more control over them just turn off the auto level for companions in the menu. That way you at least have control over anything past level 1.

Also note that Eternity Keeper allows you to fully respec your characters. Including stats and talents from level 1. Also note that the more characters and saves you have the slower it is in loading up, because somehow the designer thought it was a good idea to load all save games at once.

• Like 1

Also note that Eternity Keeper allows you to fully respec your characters. Including stats and talents from level 1.

Does EK work with 3.03? Because it seems the console reverts any attribute chances I make when I reload.

If EK works without a hitch, I'll just use that, thanks.

EDIT: Evidently, you cannot change companion attributes in EK either? The mouse pointer changes to a road block sign when hovering over companion attributes.

I repeat you get level 1 npc when you disable autoleveling.

Why repeat this? Like I said, Level1NPC let's me have control over nearly everything - including class choice. Basically the only thing you can't redo is race.

And their stat distribution is fine for PotD

Don't really care that it's "fine." It's a pointless nerf to companions over hirelings.

Edited by Grunker

Also note that Eternity Keeper allows you to fully respec your characters. Including stats and talents from level 1.

Does EK work with 3.03? Because it seems the console reverts any attribute chances I make when I reload.

EDIT: Evidently, you cannot change companion attributes in EK either? The mouse pointer changes to a road block sign when hovering over companion attributes.

Ah! Yea there's a bug in Keeper that saves nothing if a specific thing isn't changed. There's a workaround for that. Just put a space after a characters name and remove that space. The Save game option should be highlighted then. It probably wasn't before. I've had this happen before and now every time I want to change something I just change and undo a characters name to ensure that the saves are made.

Also you need to completely quit the game in order to see the edited game.

I just read level 1 my bad.

The companions aren't really nerfed almost every stat in PoE is useful.

While will for example is the least important defense in the game Int is god stat and Res is alright never hurts to be at 10.

While Con is weak compared to Mi, fort is the most important defense ingame.

Reflex is not that important either but Dex at 10 never hurts and PE is once again a  god stat.

That being said it's all good to use mods I repeat another thing I said above I did that in BG as well and if I revisit this game at some point after I get bored of Tyranny I might use Keeper to just for fun.

I just posted the above because I myself wanted to swap out GM and Kana for hirelings once I reach max level, but then realized they were very good as they were and kept them.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

Ah! Yea there's a bug in Keeper that saves nothing if a specific thing isn't changed. There's a workaround for that. Just put a space after a characters name and remove that space. The Save game option should be highlighted then. It probably wasn't before. I've had this happen before and now every time I want to change something I just change and undo a characters name to ensure that the saves are made.

Humm, I just edited the stats of one of the companions. Can't change them through the keepers main screen (blocked), but can edit the raw value. After editing the raw value the main screen is updated with the new value. Saved the game. Loaded the edited game and nothing has changed. That sucks.

• 3 months later...

Humm, I just edited the stats of one of the companions. Can't change them through the keepers main screen (blocked), but can edit the raw value. After editing the raw value the main screen is updated with the new value. Saved the game. Loaded the edited game and nothing has changed. That sucks.

Same problem here. I am trying to edit Hiravias' attributes so I can get that idiotic ring from the burning hut, I tried everything else but Eternity Keeper doesn't seem to work either, it says it saves the new attributes to a new savegame but... In game they remain the same. Is there any other editor I can use? IE mod is for different stuff, so it could not help, from what I saw.

Edited by 613 The Evil