Nerdgasm: Movies and Shows for Geeks and Nerds

ktchong

Heard Taika Waititi (What We Do In The Shadows, Hunt For The Wilderpeople and now Thor: Ragnarok) his next project is "Bubbles" a Michael Jackson biopic but seen through the eyes of his pet Chimpanzee. I'm intrigued. :lol:

Glad he's finding success, been a fan since his Flight of the Conchords stuff and What We Do In The Shadows was my favourite comedy in a long time, and with Thor: Ragnarok someone finally got the fantasy superhero escapism style on film.

I mean the the color filter and dark vibe it's going for which seems moreorless very similar to Suicide Squad, maybe a bit of Punisher as well. I haven't really heard anything of the story or the characters but I imagine that it will be screwed up somehow. Here's to hoping I'm wrong though.

I agree that Suicide Squad is terrible, but DC movies are a bit disappointing in general... from Christopher Nolan's realism take on Batman films to the newer Justice films. The shows, on the other hand, are another story. The Flash, Arrow, Legends and Supergirl (Arrowverse) have only impressed me with just how many easter eggs and backgrounding they've consistently delivered.

As for Marvel, my experience has been (mostly) just the opposite. The movies have impressed me - except for the terrible X-Men films, while only a few shows have really drawn me in. Couldn't get into Agents Of Shield, Punisher, Iron Fist or Luke Cage but I loved Inhumans and The Gifted. I'm looking forward to Black Panther and I can already tell Infinity War is going to be a fun, unstructured mess of an action masterpiece.

I'm not really in agreement here - to me the better X-Men films are still the most interesting by quite some margin within the Marvel catalogue, and still the saga with the most potential amidst their projects. Most recently Days of Future Past and Logan were excellent, and Legion was thoroughly brilliant. And as for DC, Nolan's films are in the superhero movie pantheon for a very good reason, they're definitely something of their very own. The only other superhero film I would place at a similar level is probably Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

But all thoughts on each individual film aside, Suicide Squad may have at some point been going for a grittier, darker tone but the end result was much more colourful, hyperstylized and schizophrenic, with every element on the screen fighting for your attention. The use of colour filters seemed to reflect on this sort of acid, kaleidoscopic aesthetic they ended up going with. From that teaser at least, Venom seems to be taking a far more standard and conventional approach which is more along the lines of "moody" and "realist" (at least as far as a comic book movie about some alien symbiotic goo can be), with largely cold and desaturated colours, as well as an aesthetic that seems to me to strive for invisibility, save for that very opening shot. What it resembles far more are the likes of the aforementioned Fant4stic or, for a slightly less unfortunate comparison, The Amazing Spider-Man, than it does any of the more stylized films in the genre.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

• 2 weeks later...

I'm keeping a wait and see attitude on it.  But they created a nice visual look, at least.

That said I'm worried over what B-9 will look like....

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I dunno I hear the 2004 pilot The Robinsons: Lost in Space is pretty dire.

And while the 1998 movie had a lot of problems (most specifically miscasting IMO John Robinson), I actually liked it a lot more than I really should have.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man