Nerdgasm: Movies and Shows for Geeks and Nerds

ktchong

​I haven't seen it, but I think the Red Lettter Media guys described it as Saving Private Ryan in Star Wars, but with a plot you already know the ending to and zero likeable or memorable characters, which, again, totally turned me off from watching it, because I quite frankly don't give a crap about endless boring action sequences, especially not in Star Wars, where they've never been the point or one of its strengths anyhow. If that's what you want to see, though, great - at least it's supposed to be competently directed, unlike a certain set of prequels.

It's well worth watching. Especially the intro (the first 5 minutes).

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Imo that's one of their weakest reviews. I thought the film was very honest leading up to release over what it was trying to achieve. It was an immediate prequel to ANH focusing on the stealing of the Death Star plans. I thought they pulled it off well, and anything that was derivative made sense, and any deviations additionally made sense.

It's not surprising that things become less memorable the deeper into a franchise you get, but also the other older a viewer gets.

I do think the first appearance of Vader in his lair was totally unnecessary and should have been cut. His reveal should have been the ending scene only.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 3

Guns of Navarone is another good one - right now other than Peck and David Niven, I can't remember any of that team.

y'know, Gromnir were initial surprised by your comment, then we realized we couldn't name team members beyond peck, niven, quinn and darren... and the only reason we recalled darren were 'cause o' having recent watched ds9 episodes.   am mortified we genuine blanked on quayle... forgot stanley baker too. so much for our elephantine memory for such stuff. 

we did recall irene papas, but forgot the other woman.  not our best showing for movie trivia.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hm, gamespot have tweeted the Han Solo teaser trailer.

Haven't seen it up anywhere else yet. Looks interesting from that mishmash of sound bites and edits.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The tone is not Star Wars at all. Woody Harrelson looks out of place. I have a feeling Donald Glover is not going to act Lando, but instead play his own character which will be passed off as what Lando was like when he was young. It's probably mostly the makeup work, but the casting for Han looks better than what photos of the actor seemed to convey.

The tone is not Star Wars at all. Woody Harrelson looks out of place. I have a feeling Donald Glover is not going to act Lando, but instead play his own character which will be passed off as what Lando was like when he was young. It's probably mostly the makeup work, but the casting for Han looks better than what photos of the actor seemed to convey.

It feels like a MCU trailer. Whether that is indicative of the film itself, we'll see, but I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm not very convinced at all.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The Solo thing is a teaser trailer - its hard to really say a lot about how the film will feel from a teaser, IMO.  I can't say it piqued my interest like some teasers have, as it doesn't really have a lot to grab onto other than some nostalgia, IMO.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Solo thing is a teaser trailer - its hard to really say a lot about how the film will feel from a teaser, IMO.  I can't say it piqued my interest like some teasers have, as it doesn't really have a lot to grab onto other than some nostalgia, IMO.

To paraphrase RLM a bit, I  CLAPPED WHEN I SAW THE STAR DESTROYER!

I wonder if they're going to shoehorn the driods in or if they're going the way of the bad feeling.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Trailer or not I wouldn't be putting much faith in the Solo movie to be good. It has clearly been very troubled and has had director replacements, extensive rewrites and reshoots and a lead actor who supposedly had to have acting lessons (!) while shooting. None of those things exactly fill me with confidence as to its end quality.

On a more fundamental level I have little interest in Han's backstory and wish they'd do something a bit different with the side stories instead of Han and How The Rebels Stole The Death Star Plans v16 (albeit R1 was a different approach to previous SW movies in many ways). Even the supposed Kenobi movie is still a very conservative and safe option.

Edited by Zoraptor

I get almost more of a Blade Runner type of vibe from the Solo trailer... which I don't mind :) I wonder how it will turn out.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Trailer or not I wouldn't be putting much faith in the Solo movie to be good. It has clearly been very troubled and has had director replacements, extensive rewrites and reshoots and a lead actor who supposedly had to have acting lessons (!) while shooting. None of those things exactly fill me with confidence as to its end quality.

On a more fundamental level I have little interest in Han's backstory and wish they'd do something a bit different with the side stories instead of Han and How The Rebels Stole The Death Star Plans v16 (albeit R1 was a different approach to previous SW movies in many ways). Even the supposed Kenobi movie is still a very conservative and safe option.

As someone who liked the Star Wars universe, I am not crazy about stories built around what appear to be points of continuity.  Rogue One gets a semi pass as it was the first spin-off film, but I don't care about young han or obi-wan either before Phantom Menace or between Revenge of the Sith/A New Hope.  I might still see them if their trailers and reviews convince me to.  However I can't help but wonder if enough people feel the same as me to the extent that the box office is weak for the films, will TPTB think that people aren't going to the theater because they want to see something setting forth new stories with Star Wars' setting (what I'd like to see)  or will they just think "Oh people don't want to see Star Wars if its not one of the main episodes"...?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I want to see a Boba Fett movie but it will never happen, would be great though with Disney in charge.

Jurassic World 2 looks just okay at best. I Like the idea of them rescuing the dinosaurs from an island that's about to blow but if we're being honest, Jurassic Park 1 and 3 were the only good ones. Jurassic World was pretty horrible and I'll never get over the fact that Lost World had an awesome introduction of compy's only to get ruined by the t-rex in the city.... a t-rex in the city.... a t-rex in the city.

I'm hoping for a complete reboot after this new one as the movies always missed alot from the very first book anyways.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'll guess there's going to be a Leia movie next, then another one letting us know how exactly those Bothans died.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra