Nerdgasm: Movies and Shows for Geeks and Nerds

ktchong

Alita looks fantastic. Just like the manga.

I've never actually read the manga myself. But this hybrid style that they are going for is really weird.

Not weird at all. Alita looks like she does in the manga.

am thinking it is a given that the manga is highly stylized.  not photorealistic. maintaining such a manga ascetic for a single character is... odd. is jarring. is a curious choice.

now imagine how folks would react if vector looked like he does in the manga? "weird" would be the most diplomatic criticism one would expect.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've never actually read the manga myself. But this hybrid style that they are going for is really weird.

You mean just as she does in a medium that employs a consistent art style, which is also in-line with the design language of that medium in general.

I dunno, the look for the original Manga is pretty stylized. But then again making Alita look less human I think fits the story.

Anyhow...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've never actually read the manga myself. But this hybrid style that they are going for is really weird. Hybrid in two ways. One, a mix of CGI and real people. Two, the anime aesthetic on Alita is not applied to the other androids.

Yeah, that's what strikes me as weird. It wouldn't be as jarring (though still strange) if the rest of the characters were stylized in a similar fashion, but doing this approach for just this one character seems to only heighten the uncanny valley feeling about her. I'm not familiar with the manga so perhaps there *is* a point to it, but right now I'm not seeing it.

I like Waltz and Connelly a lot, so maybe something will come of this. Not holding my breath. The trailer seems to over sell itself.

Yeah, I like the cast well enough - Mahershala Ali is also great. It's Robert Rodriguez I would worry about though, given how greater bulk of his filmography has turned out.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

You mean just as she does in a medium that employs a consistent art style, which is also in-line with the design language of that medium in general.

Alita has been remarked in the manga about her eyes by other characters (and her octopus lips which they've left out of the movie).

Maybe the other characters in the manga don't know Alita is in the manga and that she's in a medium that employs a consistent art style, which is also in-line with the design language of that medium in general?

Winchester (horror film loosely based on the real Winchester house):

Scorched Earth (post apocalyptic western?)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Truth or Dare (variation on Final Destination?):

Mom and Dad (Nic Cage is loose in your theater):

Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson animated film):

Early Man (Nick Park/Aardman):

• Like 1

There's probably a really good dramatic movie to be made on the creation of the Winchester Mystery House. 

That said, I'm up for a decent horror movie that uses the setting.  I'm not sure that this is it (but then again, I've grown to dislike a lot of how trailers are edited these days).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Really looking forward to that. Probably more so than the other upcoming marvel films. I think I'm a fan of things that aren't on the global/galactic scale yet.

I also think Ant-man is one of the few marvel films where the overall tone fits the humor. Iron Man 1 is another. But they've been straying a bit over time.

• Like 2