Yeah, it's just.... didn't ever see it here on the board... is it strong?

I was thinking it could be fun to build a staff dwarven monk... whaddaya think?

Would I be losing something in comparison with....humans..or whatever else?

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I thought so...

I really like the powerful bonus against races...

And I like the White that wends "mystic" background" which can be related to monks...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

See the Witch Doctor build for a boreal dwarf + monk combo. One of the most powerful non-caster setups in my opinion.

I'll surely do. Thanks!

The Juggernaut build has always been based on a Boreal Dwarf. I consider them to be the best race for a Monk, higher Con and Might are everything a Monk wants and the extra accuracy is great.

For that matter I consider a Boreal Dwarf to be one of the best races for any offensive class.

• Like 2

I know that res is not that important for monk, but it's the main attribute for talking... this thing really gets on my nerves... resolve has a much larger input on dialogues than int or per...

Constitution for a monk is their resource pool, think of it like mana :) Higher is better.

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

You can also leave CON as it is and put more efford into "virtual endurance" - meaning self healing with healing bonuses. Veteran's Recovery + Shod-in-Faith + >80% healing bonus from MIG, items and survival makes up for a LOT of missing CON. Of course you can combine both high CON and great self heals and have an even bigger wound pool.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Mmm I'll try the different combinations... I usually play with con 10 and it's enough on most chars.. I'll try going a bit up, see what happens.

On monks and barbs higher CON is nice because they already get more base endurance and health than other classes - this means the +5% from every point of CON leads to more endurance than on a fighter or chanter or so. A monk with maxed CON can easily reach 500 Endurance at the end of the game. If you add self heal like a boss you become unkillable by the usual mob - even if your deflection is crappy. Another good thing: your fortitude will be very good, which prevents nasty things like petrify. Becoming a stone pillar will get you killed - no matter how high your endurance is. ;) 

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I know that res is not that important for monk, but it's the main attribute for talking... this thing really gets on my nerves... resolve has a much larger input on dialogues than int or per...

As far as I can remember, there are almost no occasions where the alternative dialogue options make any difference to the outcome of quests in concrete terms, they are mainly there for role-playing flavour. There might be a couple where you get a little more experience, but experience is not in short supply in PoE, but I don't think you can ever miss out on any items. When an attribute leads to a different resolution of a quest, there is often another way to get the same resolution without an attribute check. Once I realised this, I worried less about having higher conversation attributes.

That's not to say it's not cool to have other unique options in conversations, but unlike a lot of RPGs you're not going to miss out on rewards for skimping on them.

• Like 1

... Becoming a stone pillar will get you killed - no matter how high your endurance is. ;)

Which, when you think about it, is kind of weird. I haven't attacked many stone pillars in my life, but my sensory experience of them suggests they'd actually be pretty resistance to sword blows.

• Like 1

Well in DnD terms stone has always been deadly, oh Basilisks and Irenicus in BG. :)

Weren't the Basilisks deadly primarily because of they stoned the Bhaalspawn it was instant game over. I don't remember your characters being prone to taking more damage when stoned (though I might be wrong).

Well in DnD terms stone has always been deadly, oh Basilisks and Irenicus in BG. :)

Weren't the Basilisks deadly primarily because of they stoned the Bhaalspawn it was instant game over. I don't remember your characters being prone to taking more damage when stoned (though I might be wrong).

If they get killed while in stone they permanently die, can't be raised.

Ah, I had a mod installed which didn't allow permanent death so perhaps it also applied to this case. Whilst said mod might seem like easy mode, honestly I'd just reload if a character permanently died so it was simply there to save me time.

In BG1 I remember getting Minsc to drink a potion of glass eyes then solo clear that Basilisk map quite easily.