In my current run (solo wizard + potd) I thought I might find leading creatures into trap ambushes to be a valuable tactic.

​I've done it a few times, and have always been underwhelmed.  It seems I can only have one trap outstanding: if I deploy another, the first pops back into my inventory.  So, I deploy the one, lead the creatures I'm fighting over it, and it's usually like, "trap does 3 points of damage to two creatures out of the 38 that are trying to kill you", and that is that.  It seems lost in the noise.

​Do I miss something about how to use them effectively?  I haven't found them worth the effort, so far, even playing some different kinds.

I never use them. They are not worth the time you spend laying them out. Not even the ones that do CC.

They also nerfed the drop traps of the chanter so hard that the chant is completely useless nowadays. It used to be really good. I once killed bounties with it. Nowadays you can't even cool down your White Yennefer with it.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In the trap's defense: I find the magilant cloud trap quite useful, at least early on, when used in doorway fights. But it quickly looses its attractiveness I guess... But the number of times these traps helped me kill the xaurips on level two or the ogres on level three ;) and I think these levels are the time when the trap really shines: when you are powerful enough to in theory do the fight, but in reality you struggle with it. It helps a lot, and I've never stopped using it... Just a thing of habit by now. Don't know if I'd still need them. :p

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Traps are just another source of money in my games. I occasionally keep the petrification traps with the intention of using them on tough fights, but I almost invariably forget. I can't say I mind all that much. Traps in Baldur's Gate 2 were either lacklustre or horribly overpowered, neither of which I particularly want in my games.

I don't use traps but I also never used them, found them cheesy back in the day when they were good and since I'm a creature of habit I stayed away from them after the nerf.

There is still situations were they are good in my opinion, mostly low level, for example soloing Raedrics asap.

But in a non solo party I don't think it's worth the time at all.

Traps are just another source of money in my games. I occasionally keep the petrification traps with the intention of using them on tough fights, but I almost invariably forget. I can't say I mind all that much. Traps in Baldur's Gate 2 were either lacklustre or horribly overpowered, neither of which I particularly want in my games.

I agree.  I sell all traps I collect for money.  My party's weapons, talents, abilities and spells are normally more powerful than any trap I would set.