Frankly, for many years now I have longed for a Cthulhu game done by a truly talented team with a compromise in that it will undoubtedly have more combat than I like the setting, but still with sanity and mystery being major components. I like Pathfinder well enough but not the setting or the characters. I like D20. I haven't played the RPG for a while, but I regularly enjoy the Pathfinder Adventures cardgame, so I might be mistaken, but I recall Pathfinder basically playing a lot like DnD 3.5. If that's true then I agree with the guy who says that it's a Dungeons and Dragons knockoff. I almost certain that the homebrew campaign a friend of mine did a while back was based on pathfinder, but it was so home-brewed that I'm not sure. If they use a D20 system, Pathfinder is fine by me. I haven't even played the last few Dungeons and Dragons versions because I didn't like the direction they took the rules, but regardless I think getting the license for doesn't make sense since they already have a relationship with Paizo.

...But, yeah, make a Cthulhu game, Obsidian! ...Or make a Cthulhu game by another name. <.< >.>

I like Cthulhu as much as the next man, but isn't the point of cosmic horror to be esoteric? To try and replicate it never really works in the same way as when you read the stories.

I mean I've read a lot of Cthulhu mythos stories in various collections, but as none really capture the slow building dread and utter hopelessness in the face of adversity that's incomprehensibly overwhelming and horrific as Lovecraft did I don't really see how a game developer can replicate that - especially in a graphical sense. I never did play the PnP game, so maybe players would tell me that feeling can be replicated, but as Lovecraft stories have such a unique tone, pace and voice it does feel unlikely.

I just don't see Lovecraft as ever really being truly replicable in any medium, he picked a writing style that was thoroughly outlandish to even his contemporaries so to try and ape it when it was odd for the time has never really in my opinion worked. I guess I'm just not a fan of bastardizations of Lovecraft's work, I find even C M Eddy Jr and Robert W Chambers don't have quite the same effect. 

• Like 2

I guess I'm just not a fan of bastardizations of Lovecraft's work, I find even C M Eddy Jr and Robert W Chambers don't have quite the same effect.

No, I get you, and I do agree that the only way to get to Lovecraftian game is by approximation which we might as well call bastardization. That's fair enough and more than fair, it's simply true. Still, I have played the PnP and the Mythos card game. I think it was called Mythos. Great fun. The problem isn't finding a way to proximate it. I think a talented team could put out something I'd enjoy. The problem is that it doesn't lend itself well to the standard sort of heavy combat cRPG that would have mass appeal. Horrors in a Cthulhu universe aren't the kind you fight. They're the kind you flee and, if you're lucky enough to escape, pray you can find some way to block from your memory. So, no, I don't think I'll ever get the game I really want, which is fair enough. ...But I remember Obsidian was working on an Aliens game a while back and I think they were doing a good job with it as a sort of survival horror RPG. I think it got cancelled, which is too bad because I would have bought it straight away.

But yeah, I'm with you in the idea that what I'm asking is a rough task and it probably cannot be perfectly done. Kind of like a Paranoia cRPG. In that case, how could they capture the zaniness of the PnP version?

Kind of spitballing about something that seems unlikely. That survey was pointedly geared to Pathfinder. Obsidian already has a relationship with Paizo. History makes it clear that the ruleset (or something remarkably like it) can serve as the basis for a successful cRPG franchise. I don't know what will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if the people at Obsidian announced a project along these lines soon. If Paizo has the pockets to back it, then they wouldn't need to resort to crowd funding. Never know what's going to happen, though.

• Like 1

L0L @ Pathfinder. They didn't give me the option to explain why I'm  mehish about PF.. It is just a D&D rip off. I mean IT IS D&D. LMAO If I gonna play a D&D game it might as well be D&D not  a carbon copy of it. LMAO

They don't care why you are mehish about a particular franchise. They care what you like and dislike about a franchise you're interested in.

^^^ Bioware got the thumbs down from me - as well as Blizzard and Bethesda. Felt really good...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

"They don't care why you are mehish about a particular franchise. They care what you like and dislike about a franchise you're interested in."

I don't care about you being butthurt over me being meh when it comes to PF. Get over it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I left in indifferent with Blizzard. Bethesda was the "lost interest" for me :p

^^^ Bioware got the thumbs down from me - as well as Blizzard and Bethesda. Felt really good...

I honestly found those questions strange because we knew none of those devs were even on the table to begin with.  Maybe a couple of the smaller ones, but it doesn't take a genius to realize Paizo would either self release (mediocre idea at best), pass it to Paradox, or to Obsidian.

There was a question about a more "epic" story or whatever. What the hell does that even mean? If by "epic" they mean "grandiose", "grand-scale", then yeah, I'd want a more "epic" story (when compared to PoE). But if by "epic" they mean "generic power fantasy where you save the world from an ancient evil and everyone else is a dumbass who sits around all day" then no, I don't want a more "epic" game.

• Like 3

I hate Unity.

No, I get that, mindswayer, but I still prefer a more personal story. ...But, if they decide to do more epic, I certainly hope that they do it smart rather than silly. ...Or, I guess, do it so over the top that you buy in because you realize that even the minor characters are going to be epic in every local watering hole. Kind of like 40K.

• Like 1

"They don't care why you are mehish about a particular franchise. They care what you like and dislike about a franchise you're interested in."

I don't care about you being butthurt over me being meh when it comes to PF. Get over it.

lol ok, I haven't even played PF in my life. I'm not butthurt, just mentioning what's the purpose of the servey.

So now you can, maybe, get over your buttache for not asking you "tell us why r u so meh, about Pathfinder?" :p  Apparently you have some personal grudge on PF "copying" DnD? But this is not the forum to talk about it. Sorry.

It absolutely is the forum since it was included  in the survey, dude. My issue with PF is not PF itself it is people who   gosh over it like it is some unique special snowflake holy grail when it is just D&D with some changes made.  Just call it D&D 3.75 and be done with it.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It absolutely is the forum since it was included  in the survey, dude. My issue with PF is not PF itself it is people who   gosh over it like it is some unique special snowflake holy grail when it is just D&D with some changes made.  Just call it D&D 3.75 and be done with it.

Yeah I get it, you think it's not special. Others feel it is (apparently since it is so popular). Why do you care so much? Just avoid it and play whatever you want. And why have you decide to talk about it here? Not the forum, sorry. Maybe the PF official forums or an rpg genral forum is your place. Check there.

Honestly, Bioware got the thumbs down from me. Because when you observe how they treat their games / IPs...appaling. Just look at SWTOR. I wouldn't wish that dev to my greatest enemy tbh.

All the other are ok-ish. The best being Blizzard. Say what you want, but those guys REALLY KNOW how to make a FUN game. Now, if this was a perfect universe, the marrying of Obsidian's writing and Blizzard's gameplay...that would be perfect, no?

Pretty much, yeah. Blizzard always plays it 100% safe. They barely experiment, they design everything to be sterilized, safe to consume and easy on the eyes. Simply put, they design their games for the widest appeal, so the end result is just kinda... Mehish to me.

• Like 4