The difference between Online and Physical releases?

First of all, this is my first post so I just want to take the time to say Hi to everyone.

I'm trying to figure a couple things out before a drop a whole lot of money on this game and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

From what I know of the Physical Pathfinder Adventures Card Game, you can purchase a Base Game and then expand upon that with smaller themed expansions. The format followed by the physical version of the game is always predetermined and does not have any randomized boosters like lets say Magic: The Gathering. Which brings me to my big inquiry: What do you get in chests?

Is it cards that were created only for the online version of the game or are they cards that I could get in the Rise of the Runelords or even just cosmetic upgrades of the Runelords and base cards?

Is there a reason to buy Runelords and buy chests?

Thank you for the help and have a nice day :)

They Are nice in quest mode that is Also online only add on. In story mode only if you seems to have difficulties in legendary mode. They give a Little boost to player decks. They make normal mode that is too easy even without any outside help even easier, so that is their drawback, but you can togle the treasure cards off from the settings if the game seems to be too easy. In quest mode They Are quite usefull indeed because They offer variety to the card pool.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

I'm not sure the OP's question is really being answered.

First of all, this is my first post so I just want to take the time to say Hi to everyone.

I'm trying to figure a couple things out before a drop a whole lot of money on this game and I was wondering if anyone could help me.

From what I know of the Physical Pathfinder Adventures Card Game, you can purchase a Base Game and then expand upon that with smaller themed expansions. The format followed by the physical version of the game is always predetermined and does not have any randomized boosters like lets say Magic: The Gathering. Which brings me to my big inquiry: What do you get in chests?

Is it cards that were created only for the online version of the game or are they cards that I could get in the Rise of the Runelords or even just cosmetic upgrades of the Runelords and base cards?

Is there a reason to buy Runelords and buy chests?

Thank you for the help and have a nice day :)

Emphasis mine.

From your post, OP, I think you've got one fundamental thing wrong: there very much are elements of randomness (and randomized sets of cards) in the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. The cards you encounter are divided into decks, and the kinds of cards that you find in each deck are standardized and unchanging. Whenever you visit the Waterfront location, you will always find four monster cards, two barrier cards, one item card, two ally cards, and one henchman (or villain) card.

But which monsters, barriers, items, and allies you encounter at each location are entirely random; it will be different every time you play. The cards that make up each deck are drawn from the whole of your collection - which is called "the box" in the physical game, and "the vault" in the app.

The treasure chests add cards to your collection - your "vault" - and therefore add  different  cards and sometimes overall better cards to the pool of possible encounters that you can come across on any given playthrough. Also noteworthy is that the chests only contain "good" cards - which are called boons - to your vault. You'll never add more monsters or barriers to your collection by collecting chests, only cards that your characters might want to collect for their decks: armor, weapons, items, spells, blessings, and allies.

In short: the bulk of the game is not "scripted" at all - the stuff you see in-game is pulled at random from a (much, much) larger set of cards. Hopefully that clarifies things for you!

Edited by Greenvise