Game crashes a lot

JO'Geran

Question

I recently bought Pillars of Eternity, and it seems to crash every 10 minutes or so. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, which worked for a while , but the crashes have started again.

If it's any help, it crashes mostly in dialogue, and shortly after leveling up characters.

I've attached my system specs and output log, but I couldn't find the saved games. Both are attached in a .zip file.

Thanks in advance.

Output log.zip

22 answers to this question

Don't really know how to read the output file, but I compared it to my own and I found this in yours that I can't relate to mine: "Can not play a disabled audio source". After this is the line: "Crash!!!". Perhaps look into the audio on your system. Driver update or just reinstall. 

What does the eventlog on your system say?

• Like 1

It started crashing again, although this time the output log is different.

The line before the crashes is this: (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Any ideas what could be causing this?

(I've attached the new output log)

output_log.txt

I have done a full reinstall to no avail, I have attached my dxdiag.txt to my post, and I am not sure what else to do at this point.  I hope to hear something soon.

"The names that litter this world like debris are hard enough to wrap around the tongue, and what do they matter?"

- Durance, priest of the whore that is Magran

From what I have found, it seems to be rooted in a very recent NVidia Driver.  There is a driver that has just released that supposedly fixes a problem with ntdll.dll when interacting with a mail app.  So I have downloaded the latest driver to see if the issue is resolved.  Will be back in a bit, hopefully with good news.

Update:  Game crashed again.  Looks like the issue was not resolved by NVidia, if they are indeed the culprit.  I am going to roll-back my video driver to see if that resolves the issue.

Edited by Mad_Myke

"The names that litter this world like debris are hard enough to wrap around the tongue, and what do they matter?"

Mad_Myke I think you may have responded to the wrong thread.

Right thread.  I was just letting you know I did a lot of troubleshooting and the problem persists.  I am not sure how deep you went into resolving the issue, so I thought I would open lines of communication with you since you followed my thread (presumably for information).

I reinstalled the 372.90 NVidia Driver and haven't crashed since.  I will play more tomorrow to see if this is just luck or if using a previous driver worked.

I took your advice, and tried going to a 372.90, which worked for a little while for me, but then it started crashing again.

Strangely enough, the most common line in the output log now is:

Combine mesh instance 8 is null.

(Filename:  Line: 476)

Do you know how to navigate Event Viewer?

I would be interested in knowing where the Event Log says the fault occurs.  I have not had a single crash since I swapped to 372.90.  Did you uninstall the latest NVidia driver first?  You may need to download the 372.90 driver without installing, go into Safe Mode, uninstall the current driver and do a fresh install of the 372.90 driver.

But I do have to ask.  Do you have an ASUS motherboard?  From the threads I was reading in the NVidia forums, everyone who had an issue with ntdll and posted their specs had an ASUS motherboard.

Edited by Mad_Myke

I'm not sure what motherboard I have tbh.

I tried installing the driver in safe mode, tried doing a fresh install, tried installing in admin mode, pretty much everything. Every time I think it's fixed, several new problems appear out of nowhere.

I'm not sure what motherboard I have tbh.

I tried installing the driver in safe mode, tried doing a fresh install, tried installing in admin mode, pretty much everything. Every time I think it's fixed, several new problems appear out of nowhere.

Looking at your output log, I do not believe we were experiencing the same crash.  Have you run a system file checker before?  I would install the 373.06 Driver (pre-ntdll issue) and run a system file checker from command prompt.  You will need to run command prompt as an administrator and type this in the prompt:

sfc /scannow

This will check the integrity of your windows system32 files.  From the sounds of it, I am wondering if you had a failed windows update.

ZIP FILE WAS CORRUPT! C:\Users\user\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\825fd7a799804424b08b017e51060eb6 11607119 DyrfordRuins.savegame

ZIP FILE WAS CORRUPT! C:\Users\user\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity\825fd7a799804424b08b017e51060eb6 11946864 DyrfordVillage.savegame

^  This seems to be the problem.  Corrupted save files.

Try loading up a quick-save or an auto-save and see if the game crashes.

You may also need to check your system for HDD failure.

You can hit me up on Steam Chat if you need help.  Just kick me a friend request and we can take it from there.

Edited by Mad_Myke

Hello,

I think I may be dealing with some of the same issues you both have. I would love to hear if you've discovered any solutions. You can check my most recent post to see the full details of my issue and troubleshooting steps I've taken.

Thanks!

Heres the link to my post:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/90690-game-crashes-consistently/

Edited by de24