Theresa May, Brexit and the like

Ben No.3

Of course the currency is going to go down for a bit, they are leaving a huge "company". The unknown always lowers value but doesn't mean they can't rise from this like they have before (aka 1984).

Also isn't the pound to usd STILL higher than an euro to usd?

Also isn't the pound to usd STILL higher than an euro to usd?

Might be, but the Euro is being kept as low as possible by our dear Führer Kanzlerin Merkel to help along German exports. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It's been going on in US for decades. Whenever left loses in voting they just run to the courts and get their way anyway.

Examples?

Major examples would be abortion, gay marriage, immigration enforcement and voter id's. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It's been going on in US for decades. Whenever left loses in voting they just run to the courts and get their way anyway.

Examples?
Major examples would be abortion, gay marriage, immigration enforcement and voter id's.

I do not know enough about most issues to comment on them, but the right to abort and gay marriage sound pretty good to me, wouldn't you agree?

• Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

The goals justify the means and all that.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The decision by the high court does have some legitimacy.

One of the core objectives of people who support Brexit is to return power to the UK parliament. Therefore surly the decision to trigger article 50 needs to be a made by the UK parliament? Article 50 states 

" Any member state may decide to withdraw from the union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.”

This link discusses this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/article-50-brexit-debate-britain-eu

So now in the UK you  could definitely make the case " the UK parliament needs to agree on Article 50, its not just up to the UK PM"

Its an interesting development and this may need a new vote in the UK to see if Theresa May has a mandate or legal rights to initiate article 50 and leave the EU?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm somewhat fuzzy on this I'll admit, but I half recall that there needed to be a parliamentary motion for the referendum to happen. So in a sense, wouldn't that have been the act of parliament for the results of that referendum to be valid if they needed one to hold it?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm somewhat fuzzy on this I'll admit, but I half recall that there needed to be a parliamentary motion for the referendum to happen. So in a sense, wouldn't that have been the act of parliament for the results of that referendum to be valid if they needed one to hold it?

Im also confused on some of the specifics but your point  seems valid as  a reason to argue " parliament has already agreed to this ". Are we sure there was this  parliamentary motion that carried legal precedence in respects to what Article 50 states or rather my question could be " does a motion carry the same legitimacy as a vote in the UK parliament." I'll be honest I have no clue but I will be consulting people I know who do understand this 

And also surely the UK high court would have considered this as very important evidence in its final verdict? Because this would have fundamentally changed the ruling ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Examples?

Major examples would be abortion, gay marriage, immigration enforcement and voter id's.

I do not know enough about most issues to comment on them, but the right to abort and gay marriage sound pretty good to me, wouldn't you agree?

No, but it's not the question of whether I agree or not, it's the question of "what does the law say?"

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Examples?

No, but it's not the question of whether I agree or not, it's the question of "what does the law say?"

WOD many  laws need to evolve and adapt to the social conditions of the time ....or they become redundant and criticized  :geek:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Examples?

Maybe the right should stop trying to step in the way of personal freedoms, that way they would stop losing court cases. 

The right does the exact same thing with guns and religious freedoms, btw.  Hobby Lobby is apparently a person, now. 

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 2

Everyone is like that. Nobody truly believes in real freedom. It is all pretend.

False, not only do I absolutely  believe in real  freedom I am as free as I want to be ..I see freedom all the time and every single day 

What do you mean by " real freedom " ?

John Milton 

Says the guy who wants people locked up for having 'unpopular' opinions or not going along with the SJW Nazi group. Real freedom is supporting the freedom of even people you disagree with vehemently. For example, if I had power, SJW Nazis would still be free to spout their nonsense. If you had power, I'd lose by job, locked up, and murdered.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Everyone is like that. Nobody truly believes in real freedom. It is all pretend.

Et tu Volo? The Nazis have won.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

WOD many  laws need to evolve and adapt to the social conditions of the time ....or they become redundant and criticized  :geek:

If laws "evolve" they need to "evolve" by people voting, not on the whim of tyrannical judges.

Maybe the right should stop trying to step in the way of personal freedoms, that way they would stop losing court cases. 

The right does the exact same thing with guns and religious freedoms, btw.  Hobby Lobby is apparently a person, now.

May be you should try winning an election for a change, since people like you claim that that stuff is so popular. Guns and religious freedom are both in the Constitution, abortion and gay marriage are not. Hobby Lobby may not be a person, but its owners are.

Says the guy who wants people locked up for having 'unpopular' opinions or not going along with the SJW Nazi group. Real freedom is supporting the freedom of even people you disagree with vehemently. For example, if I had power, SJW Nazis would still be free to spout their nonsense. If you had power, I'd lose by job, locked up, and murdered.

Hey Bruce - if you're that bad I take back everything I said in the election thread. And I'll be sticking the middle finger up at you virtually when Trump wins. ;)

• Like 1

Hey Bruce - if you're that bad I take back everything I said in the election thread. And I'll be sticking the middle finger up at you virtually when Trump wins. ;)

:lol:

Chippy for the last 18 months I have been endeavoring to make volo a better person and have more empathy towards  various SJ campaigns 

Its hard work and sometimes I feel  my efforts are unappreciated by volo ?

:teehee:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

John Milton 

May be you should try winning an election for a change, since people like you claim that that stuff is so popular. Guns and religious freedom are both in the Constitution, abortion and gay marriage are not. Hobby Lobby may not be a person, but its owners are.

May be you should try winning an election for a change, since people like you claim that that stuff is so popular.

I have no idea what any part of this sentence means.  I am not running for office.  Do you feel I represent the left?  What do you mean by "that stuff is so popular?"

I'm against abortion, btw.  I'm also against marijuana.  But I'm not going to make either illegal because it is not the government's place to do so.  I'd rather see resources put towards education, so we have less unwanted pregnancies and dumb potheads running around.  

Also not sure where it says in the Constitution that my employer gets to dictate what type of health care I receive.  

I'm saying if you want to have things your way, it should be decided by a vote instead of the whim of an unelected, unaccountable judge who refuses to follow the law. http://www.dailywire.com/news/7007/federal-judge-says-constitution-irrelevant-heres-ben-shapiro#

The employer gets a say because they're paying for it. Also contraception is not healthcare, since it doesn't make you healthier, often the opposite.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Examples?

That depends on your views. The right generally sees abortion as murdering babies. The left doesn't see babies as human until they are born so see it as a womens health thing. So the courts enforcing a woman's right to murder babies doesn't sound like something super cool.

I'm pro choice, to a certain degree, but I can understand the other side.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Examples?

That depends on your views. The right generally sees abortion as murdering babies. The left doesn't see babies as human until they are born so see it as a womens health thing. So the courts enforcing a woman's right to murder babies doesn't sound like something super cool.

I'm pro choice, to a certain degree, but I can understand the other side.

Abortion is a womens choice, no one should have a right to tell any women what they can or cant do with there bodies :)

Abortion is also a very traumatic and emotional experience to go through so its important to be   supportive if you know anyone who had an abortion. It can be hard for many men but trust me the majority of women  suffer emotionally much worse than most men

• Like 1

John Milton