Theresa May, Brexit and the like

Ben No.3

Yeah, plebeians should know their places when the patricians decide.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Only around 30% of the youngest voters, those most supportive of the EU, voted. If there would have been more, they could have potentially turned the vote.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

If another vote takes place i'm sure most MPs will know which side their breads buttered on in terms of their local electorate and more importantly their seat, however it will no doubt emphasise the divides in the Union and lead to a resurgence in UKIP. As of the moment UKIP is self destructing quite merrily, as I predicted it would when deprived of its raison d'etre, but this snubbing of the people may well reignite the protest vote movement.

Hardly surprising though the EU is not at all about democracy until it goes their way, we saw this before in numerous places, it emphasises that the whole corrupt edifice should be torn down.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Only around 30% of the youngest voters, those most supportive of the EU, voted. If there would have been more, they could have potentially turned the vote.

There was a voter turnout of around 76% if I recall... One of the highest voter turn outs for anything in years.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yep, those UK citizen "dummies" must be shown by their "betters" how they made the wrong choice.

Why didn't they check with the courts to start with ? Kind of silly to not check with that branch of the government.

Representative government for you.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why didn't they check with the courts to start with ? Kind of silly to not check with that branch of the government.

Probably because its unprecedented for the government to randomly declare the results of a national vote to be null and void because they don't like the outcome? Well, at least in most Western governments. Just wait until the next losing prime minister refuses to give up the post because the voting public "got it wrong". Imo, the UK just took a giant turn away from democracy.

• Like 2

You have to appreciate how the Australians do it. They never  seem to do a fuzzy popular vote. Any referendums they call strictly lay out the legal aspects and are put into law as stated from the get go. The trouble is, neither side on the Brexit vote actually looked at it.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I cant help but wonder how fast this would have gotten laughed out of the courts if the "Stay" vote had won and the "Leave" crew sued.

It's been going on in US for decades. Whenever left loses in voting they just run to the courts and get their way anyway.

Examples?

• Like 1

They've overturned the vote in plenty of other countries as well (as discussed in the other thread), the question now is how badly does England get screwed over before the next general election, how long and badly will that screwing over last into the future, and will there be any party worth voting for by the time of the general election that can set up some trade deals and actually run the country.

It's not like they actually did anything important in parliment these past 40 years or so anyway.

• Like 2

Probably because its unprecedented for the government to randomly declare the results of a national vote to be null and void because they don't like the outcome?

Not where the EU is concerned. France and the Netherlands rejected the EU Constitution and they end ran those results. Technically the Constitution was goneburger, practically the Treaty of Lisbon was the same thing, just made in such a way that it could be done as amendments instead of new laws and avoid those pesky referenda (France and Dutchies didn't have plebiscites this time). It then got rejected by Ireland who had to have a referendum by law. Who then held a second referendum to make sure the 'right' result was reached.

They didn't turn out though. I wouldn't have wanted to rely on them for a stay vote anyway, the highly motivated sjw/ yuppy types that benefit most from the EU already voted to stay. The ones who didn't vote were the disaffected with poor prospects and little engagement in politics. They'd be far more likely to vote leave than the 30% who actually voted, if they had to vote.

• Like 3

So, the Nazis are at it again.   People don't have any rights. Theya r ejust slaves. LMAO

Parliament is supposed to represent the people... well, the people have spoken so GET BENT.,

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Indeed, we've never been a closed island, our cities are truly multinational (especially London) and we will not suddenly be turning away foreigners. Not much will change because of the Brexit, despite the fear mongering.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I could backpack but I'm not sure I could do a working holiday, though please correct me if I'm wrong as it would be useful information. As far as I can tell working holiday visas in any country almost universally disqualify people once they hit 31 years old. Getting a visa for long-term residence in another country is an option but more difficult and I'm certainly not guaranteed one at the moment with my skills and the field of work I'm in. Backpacking would be fun but what I'd really like to do is live and work in another country or several, so for that reason and the fact that I'm not sure I want to stay in the UK after I leave, staying in the EU and keeping free movement is a lot more convenient for me personally. 

They've overturned the vote in plenty of other countries as well (as discussed in the other thread), the question now is how badly does England get screwed over before the next general election, how long and badly will that screwing over last into the future, and will there be any party worth voting for by the time of the general election that can set up some trade deals and actually run the country.

It's not like they actually did anything important in parliment these past 40 years or so anyway.

The debates in the British parliament should be mandatory broadcasted to everyone for didactic purposes in wit and for rhetorical learning.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Probably because its unprecedented for the government to randomly declare the results of a national vote to be null and void because they don't like the outcome?

Not where the EU is concerned. France and the Netherlands rejected the EU Constitution and they end ran those results. Technically the Constitution was goneburger, practically the Treaty of Lisbon was the same thing, just made in such a way that it could be done as amendments instead of new laws and avoid those pesky referenda (France and Dutchies didn't have plebiscites this time). It then got rejected by Ireland who had to have a referendum by law. Who then held a second referendum to make sure the 'right' result was reached.

Greece. And in that case, the government did like the outcome, or at least got the outcome they had been campaigning for, after winning an election with a program predicated precisely on the matter they ran a referendum on.

Democracy: "I do not think it means what you think it means".

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Probably because its unprecedented for the government to randomly declare the results of a national vote to be null and void because they don't like the outcome? Well, at least in most Western governments. Just wait until the next losing prime minister refuses to give up the post because the voting public "got it wrong". Imo, the UK just took a giant turn away from democracy.

Eh? No, if the laws indicate they need Parliament to approve it, that should be a known before embarking on the endeavour. Seems like it was half assed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"The debates in the British parliament should be mandatory broadcasted to everyone for didactic purposes in wit and for rhetorical learning."

I hear from close sources that they all go to the local pub after to discuss whether the EU was right about the corrupting effect of eating bendy bannanas and how it has effected their potence as politicians in parliment. Once a week on a wednesday.

Edited by Chippy

post-165831-0-10770200-1478211772_thumb.png

For all of those who say Brexit will help UK... Instead of burning my fingernails on typing the dozens of scenarios that are likely to happen, I've simply attached the pound compared to the USD since Brexit. Quite telling, don't you think?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows