Theresa May, Brexit and the like

Ben No.3

Teresa may, British prime minister, Conservative party conference 2016 (24:07 at the conservative parties YT video):

"We will never again in any future conflict let those activist left wing human rights lawyers harass the bravest of the brave, the men and women of our armed forces."

Do we have opinions on this?

Right now, I am very happy that I'm going back to Germany in December (I'm currently living here in London). Personally, I regard this as a very very worrying policy. I do not believe this woman will do a lot of good to her country if "human rights lawyer" is an insult in her eyes.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Because youa re the 3rd Ben and hail from Germany. :wink:

The chances of you being a white male are very high.

How does that affect the validity of my point? And I sincerely hope you are not from Germany... This kind of joke would be an embarrassment for our people.

Back on topic... Miss may also said and I quote

"But if you are a citizen of the world, you are a citizen of nowhere, and you don't understand what the word citizenship means." Am I really the only one that finds this to be an extremely worrying statement coming from a head of state, especially from a head of a European state embedded in western democracy?

And everybody knows

How is it worrying? Citizenship brings a balance if rights and responsibilities to the nation one has citizenship in, so called citizens of the world often want to break down borders Nd barriers to entry to nations, which are essential to the preservation of that nation. Nationalism was a huge contributing factor to the rise of western civilization, and the left sees it as a horrible thing that needs to be stamped out. Thats much more worrying to me.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

How is it worrying? Citizenship brings a balance if rights and responsibilities to the nation one has citizenship in, so called citizens of the world often want to break down borders Nd barriers to entry to nations, which are essential to the preservation of that nation. Nationalism was a huge contributing factor to the rise of western civilization, and the left sees it as a horrible thing that needs to be stamped out. Thats much more worrying to me.

Theresa May directly adresses theEU citizenship with this. She prefers nationalism over international mindedness. And, historically speaking, nationalism has caused quite a few problems, wouldn't you agree? Yes, it was a factor in the rise of European cultures in the past, but that does not make it a good thing.

Also, do you agree with her on human rights activists not being able to go up against the military? If not her comment on citizenship, surely this must seem mildly worrying to you?

And everybody knows

Sounds like she doesn't like social justice types harassing soldiers for doing their job. I can sympathize.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Sounds like she doesn't like social justice types harassing soldiers for doing their job. I can sympathize.

A SJW is some dude following am ideology riddled with flaws. A human rights lawyer is someone who has studied law at university and decided to dedicate his life to stand up for those who's human rights have been hurt. If it is necessary to criticise the military on a basis of human rights, then the reaction shouldn't be "oh, poor military, they only violated human rights a bit and now they get bashed" but rather "okay, our military messed things up, let's fix it and put the guilty to trial."

And everybody knows

I think technically she didn't like 'SJWs' trying to do things like get soldiers in trouble for forcing an Iraqi child who could not swim into a canal where they left him and he, unsurprisingly, drowned. And yeah, that actually happened, the facts weren't in dispute.

One case where I'm unreservedly on team SJW because otherwise I'm on team Outright Murder with Mrs May.

• Like 1

Why ? Soldiers are some sort of superior class ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why ? Soldiers are some sort of superior class ?

No, I don't think anyone should be harassed for doing their job. In the examples above though, being harassed for committing crimes is different.

Devastatorsig.jpg

No, I don't think anyone should be harassed for doing their job. In the examples above though, being harassed for committing crimes is different.

Yeah, and how do you differ that exactly by legislation ? If they're baseless complaints, then they'll fall by themselves.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is the British military justice system so broken they can't punish a murder?

They were charged (and acquitted) of manslaughter at a military court, which was probably a fairer (well, more likely to get a conviction) charge than murder. But no, you can't really trust the British military to investigate itself, unsurprisingly the military found that the military did nothing wrong.

The whole thing stank since a key witness's testimony was 'accidentally' mistranslated leading to him being judged unreliable while the soldiers (sensibly) declined to give testimony; crucially when the soldiers were given an immunity guarantee at the later 'no foul no blame' enquiry- prompted by the court May wants to abolish the jurisdiction of- one of them gave a story that corroborated that witness's statement, when properly translated, near completely. 

Independent article on the 2016 report

Grauniad article on the 2006 trial, which has some of the more ironic quotes lionising the soldiers now that what really happened has been established.

The whole May thing is pandering to the moronic tabloid set who put the supposed honour of 'our brave lads' above anything else including any misdeeds of said 'brave lads' and wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shown up constantly and getting inconvenient things like use of the 'Nuremburg Defence'- just following orders- and being told that they didn't think and had been trained not to think.

Edited by Zoraptor

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe that's because Britain has yet to leave anything whatsoever. Also, the predicted growth was 0.3 and the last quarter's growth was 0.7.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

“If we want to reform human rights laws in this country, it isn't the EU we should leave but the ECHR and the jurisdiction of its Court.”
Theresa May

Theresa May talks, but has a history of not actually doing anything.  The only way to know what she is planning is (if) she actually does it.

Politicians talk, but have a history of not actually doing anything.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

This could potentially derail the whole Brexit move, its quite a serious development 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela