What's next for Obsidian?

kanisatha

I'd be in for Pathfinder.

Yeah me too. I mean, they already have the license, and they wouldn't have to expend resources on creating the setting, lore, and game mechanics. So the focus can be entirely on creating a great game - an awesome story plus all of the best elements of roleplaying that RPG fans crave. And, for marketing purposes, you already start out with a large and passionate fanbase. What could be better than this?! It seems to be a no-brainer for me.

If they ever start on a single player Pathfinder CRPG, I hope it meets a better fate than the Pathfinder MMO :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't mean to be a Richard but I hope that's not it

Sorry, I really don't like time travel

I would be ok with time travel if it was part of an alternate history game.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

According to the description, you wouldn't go far through time. Only between two periods, which are both distant future to us. So, no messing with real history. I know things like that from classic adventures, where they usually work just fine without being too confusing.

I'm up for a Pathfinder game, but I'd love to see a Sci-Fi isometric game (Trek, Transformers, other things) or as earlier mentioned Neverwhere, or the world of the Dark Crystal (Henson)

• Like 2

That's what I entered in the survey, for which franchise I'd like to see in a game, Trek. 

Although an isometric Pathfinder Star Trek game from Obsidian would easily overload my capacity to withstand such awesome. I would pass out right here at this keyboard and never wake up.  

• Like 2

All Stop. On Screen.

That's what I entered in the survey, for which franchise I'd like to see in a game, Trek. 

Although an isometric Pathfinder Star Trek game from Obsidian would easily overload my capacity to withstand such awesome. I would pass out right here at this keyboard and never wake up.  

I'm sorry, sir. But you've been the victim of a shrewd Vulcan grip. The Vulcans aren't too keen on people getting elated, so one of their agents stealthy assailed you.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I've never seen a time travel story work except for Ms Hennig's Legacy of Kain series, which I doubt any developer can top, most nowadays seem to absolutely hate any form of consistency or coherence.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I've never seen a time travel story work except for Ms Hennig's Legacy of Kain series, which I doubt any developer can top, most nowadays seem to absolutely hate any form of consistency or coherence.

I agree, but I remember Chronotrigger fondly.

Consistency is key to making time travel work, IMHO. Almost any medium that dabbles with it does it from the "rule of cool" standpoint instead of focusing on an interesting, coherent story.

• Like 1

The only problem I see here is that such a perfect game would kill me because I would never stop playing it even to eat, drink, or sleep

A number of those desktop icons are suspiciously blurry. Which software has the best "sharpening" tools? ;)

What secrets are contained within untitlsdfawed-1.jpg, untitledfbasffffffd-1.jpg, untsfadfitled-1.jpg, and UGH.jpg?????

I don't have to blur my desktop!

New Folder 1, New Folder 2.... New Folder 17 hide away all my secrets.

Sometimes I don't even know what is in a folder and I'll open it be surprised. Like finding loose change in your own pocket!

Wow, your internal IT must love you guys! Didn't expected that from dev :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I agree, but I remember Chronotrigger fondly.

Consistency is key to making time travel work, IMHO. Almost any medium that dabbles with it does it from the "rule of cool" standpoint instead of focusing on an interesting, coherent story.

Totally agree, the irony being that the coolness of the masterful unfolding of a well crafted narrative is far superior to the short term thrills of the rule of cool crowd. As Raziel took up the Soul Reaver and slew his brethren in Soul Reaver 2 it felt like the crescendo of a fantastic symphony that had been building all game long, with a tumultuous roar it climaxed with his denial of himself, and then fell away into an eery overture for the next act as history was revealed to abhor a paradox.

Obviously such intricate plotting takes time and effort, but how much more satisfying the finished product?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

What's next for Obsidian?

Something, anything, that isn't sword'n board medieval/ancient times nor fantasy (high nor low). Please.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

If they're gonna tackle other settings, I'd love to see (from novels) R. Scott Bakker's Eärwa setting (the Prince of Nothing series and Aspect-Emperor series, the latter of which just had the penultimate book released recently) or (from pen and paper) the Eclipse Phase science fiction post-apocalyptic transhuman conspiracy setting. 

Those are my dream settings to play a CRPG in. 

The Warhammer license must be pretty cheap, everyone has it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oh man, I wish. Imagine all the beaming down, the exploration, returning to quarters, leveling up my Sector One Special Recon squad member ... training in the holodeck how to mount a chair like a boss. 

14915202_10206090759266918_4670371003752

Just a reminder that Star Trek RPG needs a good selection of facial hair

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Obsidian has promised to announce some very important announcements during their 48hr live stream next weekend, 11-13 November.

I expect Pillars II and Star Trek: Futile Resistance 

Where did they do that? Not that I don't believe you but I'd like to enjoy the source : p