Ethics in America

Gromnir

https://www.learner.org/resources/series81.html#

am admitting we were unaware the series were available online in its entirety 'til we looked for it earlier today to be responding in the wot election thread, but the linked videos is fantastic.  

yeah, am doubting anybody actual watches one o' the +50 minute videos, but am feeling the need to repeat our appreciation for 'em.  1989 is a bit dated at this point, and while the folks in the videos were titans in their respective fields, many will be unrecognizable, particular to folks not from the USA.  nevertheless, am thinking that the series is well-worth the time it takes to watch all ten offerings.  

am loathing wiki, but the link provides a list o' the panelists and we don't see any obvious errors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_in_America

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think a more pertinent question to the character of America is how the de-institutionalization of mental illness has led to the normalization of insanity.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think a more pertinent question to the character of America is how the de-institutionalization of mental illness has led to the normalization of insanity.

kinda random, no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Irish.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I vaguely remember this. It was actually discussed in one of my classes in High School. It might be worth another look now, The guest list is definitely a "who's who" of the power elite of the 80's. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I vaguely remember this. It was actually discussed in one of my classes in High School. It might be worth another look now, The guest list is definitely a "who's who" of the power elite of the 80's. 

the moderators, all of them, is excellent.  is the unsung stars o' the series.  all o' them is expert at using the kinda faux socratic method to lead the group to curious ethical conundrums.  

HA! Good Fun!

https://www.learner.org/resources/series81.html#

am admitting we were unaware the series were available online in its entirety 'til we looked for it earlier today to be responding in the wot election thread, but the linked videos is fantastic.  

yeah, am doubting anybody actual watches one o' the +50 minute videos, but am feeling the need to repeat our appreciation for 'em.  1989 is a bit dated at this point, and while the folks in the videos were titans in their respective fields, many will be unrecognizable, particular to folks not from the USA.  nevertheless, am thinking that the series is well-worth the time it takes to watch all ten offerings.  

am loathing wiki, but the link provides a list o' the panelists and we don't see any obvious errors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics_in_America

HA! Good Fun!

I've been looking for some good debate/discussions using the socratic method, and here you are providing them by the ten-fold. Kudos!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I made it ~30 minutes into the first video and found it very interesting. But I kept running into a random video error and ragequit after the 6th time.

we noticed yesterday that most is available via youtube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY7eqTQgEsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BAMUm-uAp0&index=3&list=PLdI7wgR3a3r6A8SpXlExtC8teRM73MQKW

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

I made it ~30 minutes into the first video and found it very interesting. But I kept running into a random video error and ragequit after the 6th time.

I had the same problem. It was during Scalia's remarks and it dumped me out five or six times until I shrugged and went on to other things. I couldn't stop what I was doing anyway and so I was listening while doing other stuff. What I heard was pretty good. Had some great exchanges. Scalia was his usual self. I was greatly entertained by the whole idea that someone must be aggrieved for there to be an ethical dilemma. Probably not doing justice to his argument, but I'm also considerably less intelligent than anyone at that table... or this forum for that matter. lol There were some funny lines in all that, though.

However, the reason I'm posting is to point out that the videos demonstrate rhetorical approach. While the most important thing might ostensibly be finding the truth, the better or more persuasive argument will still win, even if it's wrong. That's not an indictment of what is a truly classical art, just a reminder that it is not perfect. Merely as perfect as we can find. Still better than an emperor defining ethics for society.

Also the idea of 'pertinent' is something that also came into question as the Romans transitioned from the Republic into Empire. I would say that bringing up mental health issues is a little random, but the point is that the rhetorical lessons eventually became increasingly convoluted and confusing on one hand and entirely irrelevant in a society that relies less on rhetoric in court and more on 'justice' doled out by authoritarian figures.

Thanks, Gromnir.

I shared this with my social circle. A teacher friend wants to include this in a lesson plan.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle