I've always said that Legendary Scenario needed a better generator

Well, it had to happen - I'd always suspected that there was some smartness in the Scenario generator for Wildcards that prevented this, but it turns out I was wrong; it really is just a "random" picker of Scenario Power + 2 Wildcards independent of Scenario Power/Wildcard. I wish they'd address this because Legendary varies from "annoying, but easier than Heroic" to "FFS, you must be joking".

Here's the interesting combo that I didn't think would ever happen.

post-163870-0-47064500-1476276391_thumb.jpg

Craaaaazeeeee! LOL!

Edited by mccrispy

The combo you posted is annoying, but not impossible to beat. The worst I have encountered is, by far, the -5 blessings in the blessing deck and 1 blessing discard from the blessings deck if you fail to acquire a boon. Auto quit.

I've seen that and one of the "bury a card if you acquire a boon" wildcards.

Sorry game, LOL nope!  ;)

• Like 3

Yeah, the one ethics said.  I love it when you bury a card if you acquire a boon, all boon checks are +whatever difficulty, and discard the top of your blessing deck.  I'm almost certain I've seen that one in legendary on story mode, but I can't be certain.  It's either that or all checks are +2, bury the boon, and discard top blessing.  Something like that.  It's all beatable.  I normally don't care about beating everything on legendary, but since it takes a while between ADs, I end up taking multiple parties through all the legendary scenarios anyway.

Here's a fun one with 6 Characters on Legendary. I had to take a lot of risks attempting to fail Combat Checks against Zombie Henchmen in order to keep the Modifier down - while also avoiding taking too much damage. Pretty hard when you have both Kyra *and* Seelah in the party! You really don't want a Zombie Horde to turn up with a party of 6 with this Scenario setup. Of course it did! The Zombie Henchmen that Summoned with the Villain (CZ) were waaaaaaaay tougher than he was - like by about 100%. We won though (helped by a rare good roll on a found Holy Candle and finding two Healing Potions). But I have to say that I didn't think we'd make it when I say the Scenario introduction screen.

post-163870-0-45971300-1476354819_thumb.jpg

I actually like getting the "bury acquired boons" wildcard powers, they are much more benign than others - in particular with mature parties that don't need those boons to begin with.

Now, the "discard the top card from the blessings deck when you fail to acquire a boon" I hate with the fire of a thousand suns, it strains my resources so much when going 6 players. Of course, when you manage to win it's a great feeling.

• Like 1

Chest count: 136

Now, the "discard the top card from the blessings deck when you fail to acquire a boon" I hate with the fire of a thousand suns, it strains my resources so much when going 6 players. Of course, when you manage to win it's a great feeling.

Oh man, that modifier can really throw a wrench in your plans.  My typical experience is a low-dexterity character running across something like Caltrops or a Shortbow, and suddenly it's a question of: how many blessings do I have to throw at this piece of junk to ensure I don't lose an extra turn?

Occasionally pairing that up with the "bury acquired boons" modifier just exemplifies the cruel indifference of the RNG gods.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

Oh man, that modifier can really throw a wrench in your plans.  My typical experience is a low-dexterity character running across something like Caltrops or a Shortbow, and suddenly it's a question of: how many blessings do I have to throw at this piece of junk to ensure I don't lose an extra turn?

Occasionally pairing that up with the "bury acquired boons" modifier just exemplifies the cruel indifference of the RNG gods.

I see that and I raise you Amiri encountering the Codex. Because for some reason she always, ALWAYS encounters that.

This game pisses me off. In a good way. If that makes sense.

• Like 1

Chest count: 136

I see that and I raise you Amiri encountering the Codex. Because for some reason she always, ALWAYS encounters that.

This game pisses me off. In a good way. If that makes sense.

It does.  Every time I reveal the henchman on the fist explore of a location, I consider that the Law of Averages is cooking up something special to ruin my day later on.  It's never fun to lose, but it is sometimes amusing to lose in a creative or unexpected manner.

• Like 1

I think running into the codex (or anything that requires an intel check) is worse with Meri.  Not just because she's extremely stupid, but because I've always thought it some smarts to be a really good rogue.  Just shows you how dumb I am.  ;)

Doesn't bother me, though.  They had to balance the game and I like the spread of the other stats.

Discard from the blessings deck if you fail to acquire a boon is the worst wildcard, by a safe margin. The ones that buries boons are just annoying, not hard.

The one that buries one card if you take 2 or more damage is almost innocous, compared to some of the others.

I feel there is room for more wildcards to be created. A few ideas:

- All combat damage received becomes fire damage

- When you search a deck, bury a card from your hand (Augury-killer, Harsk-killer)

- All difficulty checks to close locations are increased by 3

- When you encounter a barrier/monster, all characters at that location encounter the same barrier/monster

- Every time you take damage, that damage is increased by 1 (Shrine of Lamashtu, anyone?)

Take 1 mental damage whenever you recharge a card (or fail to do so)

- Whenever you banish a card, bury a card

Cheers!

Mauricio

Great spitballing, but a couple of those I would simply forfeit and restart.  One mental damage whenever you recharge a card is simply insane (sorry for the pun) and I don't even think it would be fun.  a penalty when you fail, however, would be reasonable.  Personally, I think legendary is a decent challenge for great reward.  I don't want a competition to see who can make the game increasingly grueling, otherwise we end up with wild-cards like:  Every time a character casts a spell or uses a weapon he or she discards her hand and deck, the app and operating system are erased from the tablet which also bursts into spontaneous fire, after which a hand holding a revolver pops out of the molten slag and shoots the player.  I think wildcards that are roughly the same difficulty are good.  For me, if they put in crazy wildcards just so a tiny fraction of players can brag about beating them just doesn't make sense.  ...But I'm just one player and I seriously doubt anyone cares what I think.  I'm just kind of determined to say it anyway.  ;)

• Like 1

Well, I never said they were tested and balanced - they are just a few ideas that crossed my mind...

I personally wouldn't mind more wildcards that would place my characters in danger, since the worst of the lot, until now, are the ones who attack the blessings deck...

Best!

Mauricio

• Like 1

I wish this effect was a 50/50 chance or something.  When this one pops it's almost an auto restart for me as it makes the game too heavily based on luck.

Yeah I see the wild card powers recycling a bit now too. That being said what the op got is  one of the easier sets. It's annoying, but since you have to acquire the boon for it to proc anyway you really aren't losing any extra cards... just either the new card or something else in exchange to keep the card. 

Yeah I see the wild card powers recycling a bit now too. That being said what the op got is  one of the easier sets. It's annoying, but since you have to acquire the boon for it to proc anyway you really aren't losing any extra cards... just either the new card or something else in exchange to keep the card.

I agree that the bury a card for a boon wildcard isn't so bad. Bury the card that was +2 on the check to acquire or ditch the top of the blessing deck is just evil. With that said, I don't think any of the wildcards are too tough at this point. Sure, in some scenarios they really suck, but since no character need die in any scenario unless you're extremely careless (like literally playing drunk careless) or completely new to the game, you just give it the ol' college try and call out "Once more into the breach dear friends!"

The combo you posted is annoying, but not impossible to beat. The worst I have encountered is, by far, the -5 blessings in the blessing deck and 1 blessing discard from the blessings deck if you fail to acquire a boon. Auto quit.

Nope, I had increased difficulty to acquire boons, lose 1 turn if you fail to acquire a boon and -5 turns.

Night Approaches is about the worst "wild card" there is as it essentially is saying "you will fail unless you get lucky, so your wasting your time" because most location decks will have more than half boons and some of them will be completely useless to the character you have there thus just making you throw away blessings (while the game is balanced already around needing to take extra turns or you will fail).

That wild card alone cranks the "difficulty" way up beyond the level of every other wild card or scenario condition.

Edited by Loswaith

It's funny, but I never said that the combo in the OP was hard, just that I thought that it would never happen (because I had never seen in so assumed that there was some logic preventing it). So my post was meant to mean "now I've seen even the craziest of combos, I'm convinced that it is just a random generator with no built in "balance"). Great discussion though! Love to see that you all hate the things I hate (largely, attacks on the Blessings deck, which is already under pressure in Legendary, though I maintain that anything that increases the difficulty of your "pull through" is particularly bad for large parties on Legendary - so blocking gains of Blessings and/or Allies is bad)