Wasteland 3?

Dainalt

After swearing off backing anything for the next couple of years, I'm tempted.  Mostly because I'm weak and pathetic, but still tempted.  Ziets - a big draw.  Multiplayer?  *shudders*  I don't know how that would work.  I did a search but didn't find any threads specifically on this one, but I really loved Wasteland 2.  I'm not just shilling, though.  I'm also lazy and selfish, so if anyone has been keeping track but doesn't get too much into spoilers, how does this look as a backing prospect?  Plenty of time for me to throw away some more money backing a project.  I don't visit any other gaming sites, so I'm curious about what the consensus is for this title.  Rather throw money at a title I'm reasonably confident I'll enjoy than to buy another ten steam games for one I might actually enjoy.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/wasteland-3/#about

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch Fig with a bargepole personally. From the looks of it however there is no funding needed, it already began with a large chunk of investment and isn't really relying on small backers, if you wish to get an early cheap copy however now seems an ideal time to snag one. I'll probably purchase on a GOG sale if the game is worth it, the inclusion of multiplayer gives me serious doubts about the whole prospect though.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Am I getting this right, are they paying 40% to a crowd funding service.

That's just plain stupid, unless there is something sinister going on, in which case that's just plain sinister. 

Yeah, this was in the wee hours of the morning when I saw it and I didn't understand the Fig idea so I thought I'd revisit it this morning figuring it was my foggy mind that was the issue.  Looking at it now, I still don't really get it.  Maybe it really is a sinister money laundering scheme.  Probably the Russian mafia.  Before anyone gets pissed, I was just joking.

The biggest thing for me, though, is the multiplayer like Nonek said.  I loved Wasteland 2 and I don't see how in any way multiplayer would make that experience better.  On the other hand, I loved Wasteland 2, so I'm still going to keep this one on my radar.  Since, I'm definitely tiny potatoes, being poor and all, I think I'll hold off on backing.  They're apparently already funded.

Are you guys talking about this pie chart?

body_width.jpeg?1475209718

That just means that Fig's campaign goal equals roughly 40% of Wasteland 3's budget, not that 40% of the funding is going back to Fig in some money laundering scheme.

Not that there isn't ample reason to not pledge on a platform co-run by Tim Schafer - this just isn't one of them.

• Like 5

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I backed it at the $33 level once they made PayPal available. Wasteland 2 was enjoyable enough for me to give this a shot, and it's bound to include a number of needed improvements.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I liked Wasteland 2 a lot, so definitely backing this one.

For me the multiplayer is a big draw. I loved the Divinity: Original Sin multiplayer style, and this seems inspired by that. So backed at the only tier that gives two games.

I don't know.  The sucker in me looked over the pledge tiers.  Most of it I can't really use.  I doubt I step foot in the forum and if I do I don't want a badge.  I won't have as much time as I want to play the game, and I'll use that time to play the game rather than read novellas.  I guess I could check under couch cushions and pick up the car to see if any coins fall out when I shake it.  Maybe scrounge up enough money to design an item, but I don't trust myself to do as good of a job as the game designs.  I count on them to have the talent I lack.  If I wanted to craft a crappy game, I'd've done it years ago.  I already own wasteland 2.  hmmm.  Still, I wouldn't mind buying the game in advance.  I'm reasonably assured I'll enjoy it.

Wasteland 2 was not great for me but OK - with so much trash these days it stands out. Fig is also fine with me but waiting over three years for a game is kind of hard. I know that's how much games of this complexity take to make but any estimate is still an estimate and it can be released well into 2020. I might back it but I still am in doubt.

I've stopped backing games few years ago. Been burnt a few times and also suffering from KS exhaustion. Intend to keep far away from crowdfunding. I rarely even touch Early Access. Thats not to say the devs aren't reputable and the game will turn out a failure, i have confidence in them to deliver but now i prefer to buy a game after reading reviews and playthroughs.

The multiplayer sounds like it'll be D:OS style (not surprising, really). Not really interested in that (since I have nobody who would want to play co-op RPGs with me anyway).

I would complain about people not wanting to play multiplayer, and I have in the past, but the fact is I'm the guy who doesn't want to do multiplayer.  I've been in a few gaming guilds for FPSes and WoW and whatnot.  It's not that I'm anti-social.  I'm quite social in real life.  I just don't want to arrange my schedule around online gaming.  Now, I used to have lan parties where gaming friends would come to the house and we'd all drink beer, eat snacks, and game.  I would do that more if scheduling weren't a pain, but meeting people online and dealing with headsets and mics just isn't going to work for me nowadays.  So I'm glad online gamers have something to root for in WL3, but it's just not a draw for me and it's always a worry because you never know what weird things multiplayer can do to the single player game.  I've never played D:OS, single or multiplayer, so I have no reference.

I won't pledge yet because of Fig, but I wouldn't worry too much about multiplayer. D:OS has shown it works really well in a party-based turn-based RPG.

For those who haven't played D:OS, all it really means is that the party is split in 2, whether in combat or exploration/roaming town and talking/etc. You don't lose out on ANYTHING at all by playing it singleplayer. All it provides is a nice option for people who like coop. For the record, I adore D:OS's coop, but again, it loses nothing if played singleplayer (if anything, that probably helps you pay attention to the story)

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I keep seeing D:OS mentioned and advertised on steam. Maybe I should just try it and then I'll know what you're all talking about. I've heard a lot more good about it than bad at this point.

However, as regards WL3, I wonder if it's being designed with MP in the forefront or if it's being designed as a single player game with MP features worked in. Games will say they're both, but my experience is that someone always gets the prime cut when the dogs of single and multi player are fighting over the scraps.

You definitely should try D:OS. It's the best of the first wave of Kickstarter games.

In W3, there is some world reactivity you might miss out on in single player, but even that should be fairly minor. It's probably that you'll miss out on the "What did you do" reaction when your gaming partner does something stupid/unplanned/suicidal. I'm guessing.

"It's the best of the first wave of Kickstarter games."

No.

As for WL3 if they keep the gameplay the same it will be awesome like WL2 is. As for MP?  Unneeded, unwanted, useless garbage.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I think they said somewhere that these screens were concepts or something

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.