Ben No.3

Should genetic engineering be allowed?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be? To what extend?

• Yes, to full extent
    • Yes, but [please state in the comments]
    • No, unless [please state in the comments]
    • No definitely not

I do believe genetic engendered is an unavoidable Chance, however, the creation of so called "designer babies" that have been modified to forfill certain ideals (rather than cure a birth defect) should be illegal. Not only because it would create a superior elite, but also because it predetermines the child's life, as many parents will optimise it in a way that would fit a certain task that the child might not want to take on.

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

The day I become a cyborg mutant will be a happy day.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yes, but not at the cost of the diversity that is so important to the human race.  And I'm not just talking about people looking different, I'm talking about the concern that if we all become genetic gods, we are one good virus away from wiping everyone out.

• Like 1

Yes, yes, and more yes. If we had ways to improve on the fly I would do it to myself right now. And I absolutely, positively, would have edited any genetic flaws from my child while turning them into a superior being. Without a second thought. :yes:

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power Movie scenario, but let's consider all options

So, while maybe not fully prohibiting designer babies, we should at lest wait until the technology is cheap, don't you think? :)

Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

:lol: Seriously? Hold back progress until everyone can afford it? You went and made me ROOFLES! Anyhow, no, the world needs ditch diggers too.

Obviously not everyone and not regarding anything. But as far that basic genetic engineering can be afforded by most of the population of a country

:)

And everybody knows

Only if the possibilities are like we already do with different dog breeds. The least.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yes, yes, and more yes. If we had ways to improve on the fly I would do it to myself right now. And I absolutely, positively, would have edited any genetic flaws from my child while turning them into a superior being. Without a second thought. :yes:

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power 

This premise is, of course, predicated on a/ genetic engineering being able to create "superior humans" instead of merely ensuring they will be in the top, say, 10 percent of human potential in their respective field of excellence (if even that), and b/ that the process can't be improved (ie. that there won't be far more refined methods available for the elite by the time low-level enhancements become affordable to the majority).

All in all, I'm not convinced that this is very realistic.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power 

This premise is, of course, predicated on a/ genetic engineering being able to create "superior humans" instead of merely ensuring they will be in the top, say, 10 percent of human potential in their respective field of excellence (if even that), and b/ that the process can't be improved (ie. that there won't be far more refined methods available for the elite by the time low-level enhancements become affordable to the majority).

It will be something only the super rich will afford in the beginning, but will become affordable for everyone in the long run. Think of every commodity from smart phones to aspirin.

Based on that presume, it begs another question: Do we really know what we truly want? Tarkovsky's "Stalker" touched on that subject quite well. Such a simple question, but so many answers.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Based on that presume, it begs another question: Do we really know what we truly want?

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure it out by the time it becomes widely available.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Based on that presume, it begs another question: Do we really know what we truly want?

I'm pretty sure we'll be able to figure it out by the time it becomes widely available.

Perhaps, but i find it very interesting considering humanity's lack of control of its base desires and its own will.

Stalker. S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the game.

That....was embaressing. Fixed.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

In the beginning, such a procedure would cost millions to conduct, only making it possible for the richest. By the time science will be far enough to make it possible for everyone, a elite of genetically superior humans might exist that have no interest in loosing their power.

There's a solution to that.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

whatever brings us closer to a glorious posthuman future

Just as long as some dude doesn't try creating twenty sons.
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why would editing out our genetic flaws be an ethical problem?

I know weve created a non-problem problem with the mythical "only the rich will benefit" routine but thats not the case. Genetic manipulation would extend beyond the host because thats one of the things that genes do, pass traits to offspring. Of course everyone would want to be an Adonis but think of the possibilities! This blasted near-sightedness of mine could be edited out....or even bigger.....think about if we managed to, for lack of a better term, "immunization" against heart disease or cancer.

The only real problem I can see is overpopulation. We are such a parasitic species that we need to die in droves or the Earth would never make it.

Here is some not serious question: cancer is just body cells that don't die, as other cells do. The other cells do so in order to keep the system that is your body up and running.

So, can you blame the cancer for not wanting to die for the sake of some greater being?

Hm.... Now who does that remind me of?

;)

And everybody knows