Deeper character creation?

I really like (still play it like crazy) the original KotOR game and hope that the second one will only be better. I do not have many doubts reguarding Obsidians ability to put out a high level game. Anyway, I need to get to the point. Compared to the original KotOR, I wonder how much different or better the player creation will be. In my opinion that makes the game more personal. The more input you put into how the character looks, acts etc. the better the overall experience. Does anyone have a guess or maybe an answer for this? It will be great (off the chain) if you can REALLY customize and in some ways create your characters outfit. Even better though, if it was possible to build your own lightsaber...not add stuff to it, but actually change the look of it. I know that most of this won't be done...it would be cool though.

waaahhh... i wanna play non-humans!

...and many many more force powers. force light for example (against darksiders)

oooh- and a guiding spirit would be cool:

"revan???"

"yes- it is me. you have to travel to dagobah!"

"dagobah? why?"

"oh... my mistake... wrong movie"

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

oooh- and a guiding spirit would be cool:

"revan???"

"yes- it is me. you have to travel to dagobah!"

"dagobah? why?"

"oh... my mistake... wrong movie"

:D :D :D

Life... is strength. That is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world

I hope they dont force u to play Jedi!

Forcepowers are for girls, give me a good blaster anyday over some

lightstick :p

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

I hope they dont force u to play Jedi!

Forcepoers are for girls, give me a good blaster anyday over some

lightstick :p

Maybe you should stick to Halo instead :p

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe you should stick to Halo instead :p

I do like cRPG:s u know. Cant really stand FPS. Think about it man! KOTOR2 - all new, cool new animations and able to play a space cowboy alla Hans Solo. It would rock!

"The purpose of abstracting is not to be vague,

but to create a new semantic level in which one

can be absolutely precise."

-Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

LARGEST SIG WINS !?

I want to create a Yoda. That would be cool or maybe a Jedi Wookie. OK, trivia time....how can I move my KotOR game saves from one xbox to another? I have tried a memory card and the system link. They didn't work. The game save was too large to fit on the memory card.

My only complaint about the character creation was that in order to be a tall character (taller than Bastila anyway) you had to be a soldier. I never liked the soldier class so I was always stuck with some short little guy. As a scoundrel I think even mission was taller than my character. if you're playing a Darkside character who's going to take some little guy seriously as lord of the Sith? It so reminds me of space balls. "all bow before Darth Helmet". *enter midget*

Hopefully they'll let us choose body type. Might be funny if they had a couple of overweight jedi bodies as well.

"I am darth lardbutt *shoves a taco in his mouth* *crunch* prepare *crunch* to die *crunch* * crunch*"

Height, weight, AGE?, sex (yes please....DOH!), race, skin color, clothes etc. All of these would be cool, but I seriously doubt they will be able to add to or improve on all of these ideas for the character creation. I would be VERY cool though. They should and will, I hope, make improvements.

Not trying to come off as abrasive here or anything, but the devs have made it fairly clear that you will start the game as a human jedi.

In most RPGs, I like being able to fully customize my experience with a detailed character creation process. Morrowind is great in this regard. However, many great RPGs (Like the Final Fantasy series and Planescape: Torment) focus on having a SPECIFIC storyline for a SPECIFIC character. By limiting certain aspects of character creation, they can focus the story more on your character. In those RPGs, you generally have a set path you must follow. KOTOR is fairly unique in focusing on the PC in the storyline, while allowing you to play good or evil.

That is a stylistic choice necessary for the story they are choosing to tell. If would have been impossible to incorporate race in KOTOR:1. Revan as a Wookie, or a Yoda?

For those who enjoy a blaster over a lightsaber, other NPCs provide you that opportunity.

if you're playing a Darkside character who's going to take some little guy seriously as lord of the Sith? It so reminds me of space balls. "all bow before Darth Helmet". *enter midget*

whahahaha! now that would be something though- guess thats why there were never any small dark lords around. on the other hand- it would make sense:

"are you making fun of my height, soldier?"

"no, my lord"

"then what are ye laughing at?"

"nothing, my lord"

"nothing, eh? well, i'll give ye nothing" ZZZZZZZZZZTTT!

"AAAAIEEEE! my legs, aaargh, my legs..."

"heh, now we're about the same size, eh?"

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

I loved the Fallout series. As far as pen-and-paper roleplaying games, I tend to stick to dark games like White Wolf's World of Darkness. But from LucasArts, in a teen rated game (what KOTOR:2 is likely to get) I doubt we will get true evil from a PC.

However, the devs may be on to something in the fact that you can turn your party members. Palpatine is a great character. He is an expert manipulator, and a subtle charmer. I see the makings of a Hitler-esque Empire builder in him. I think Palpatine's character in Episode 2 is Lucas's best writing (which isn't saying much).

Evil could be more evil in KOTOR:2 while remaining subtle. Seduction, desecration, and temptation are valid forms of evil. Read "Night" by Elie Wiesel (spelling?) It's an accounting of the Holocaust that focuses on how this 14 year old kid was subtly and effectively brainwashed to despise his father, his people and his God while in Auschwitz. When we was "liberated" by Americans, he wasn't sure how to feel. The book has a eerie evil in the removal of a culture's identity that strikes me as worse than the death count.

I loved the Fallout series. As far as pen-and-paper roleplaying games, I tend to stick to dark games like White Wolf's World of Darkness.

I'm assuming you're interested then in Vampire TM Bloodlines? Obsidian is lucky it isn't coming out on X-box since I think the game looks very promising? What do you think?

Vampire looks very interesting, but I don't know yet. I think Arcanum was great, and ToEE was pretty boring. Troika is batting .500 so far. Visually, the game looks quite interesting. The first Vampire game was like a 3D Diablo with a plot. You basically clicked and killed. Futhermore, it wasn't faithful to White Wolf's material. I prefer RPGs to be a little more interactive.

I think the new Vamp game has a lot of potential, but I haven't seen a feature list or reason to start drooling yet.

Vampire looks very interesting, but I don't know yet.  I think Arcanum was great, and ToEE was pretty boring.  Troika is batting .500 so far.  Visually, the game looks quite interesting.  The first Vampire game was like a 3D Diablo with a plot.  You basically clicked and killed.  Futhermore, it wasn't faithful to White Wolf's material.  I prefer RPGs to be a little more interactive.

I think the new Vamp game has a lot of potential, but I haven't seen a feature list or reason to start drooling yet.

Yes good points. I thought Redemption was a bit of a dissapointment and didn't bother picking up ToEE. However since Redemtion wasn't made by Troika and ToEE was failed from the beginning (in my mind) I am not so worried about this. What made me wary was the FPS system their using. Sure it is Valve's Source engine but the only FPS I've ever liked with RPG elements was Deus Ex. But when I heard they were only giving XP for quests I was sold. I've been advocating that idea for years so I personally just HAVE to see how it pans out.

As for being faithful to white wolf... I qoute

"The game's story was developed by Troika, but it is closely intertwined with White Wolf's Time of Darkness novels about "Gehenna," the end of the world. In fact, the story has been officially accepted into the canon, and White Wolf considers Bloodlines to be the prequel to the books."

Found here...

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6089715.html

And just a very good preview of the game though a bit redundant...

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/vampire-the-masqu...s/513126p1.html

But basically all this means is that so far I am sold and I will be buying the game unless some truly shocking news comes along. Same goes for KOTOR. I don't view either as the end all and be all of games though.

Oddly, I'm not concerned that it will be a FPS. Not with Troika making it. Both Valve and Troike swear that the engine is quite flexible. Valve designed it with modding in mind.

It used to bother me until Deus Ex came along. ;) Before I didn't think it was possible. Now I have an open mind.

Have you played any of the Half Life mods?

Many of them change basic gameplay entirely. Half Life 2's engine caters to modding even more. So, I'm sure the engine could be utilized for an RPG.

Sure Day of Defeat, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, Counterstrike and Half Life itself. Don't need to convince me I'm buying the game! :lol:

Why can you not be a different race? The first KotOR was so wide open that it didn't matter what the character LOOKED like....it was all about the actions taken and the choices made. I do understand though that there will be few changes between the original and KotOR II (besides storyline and new characters etc.). They do not want to implement too much change for fear of failure....but if I wanted the same game, I'll stick to the original and hope for more download content.

I hope the new KotOR wil be better then the last, I'm just not sure....with the loss of the original composer and a new developer, star wars fans better hope and pray that the ship can stay intact and not sink like so many other sequels (or for that matter, star wars games).