Blessings change the type of check unfavorably

If an encounter can be resolved with either a stat check (Dexterity, Charisma) or a skill check (Acrobatics, Diplomacy), and I play a blessing of the corresponding type (Calistria, Iomedae), the game will often change the check from stat to skill. Have to manually change the check to stat again, in order to roll 3d8 instead of 3d4.

P.S. Sorry wrong forum, please move to Technical Support.

Edited by mplain

Yeah, probably wrong forum, but I agree that it's a pain.  Not just a pain, as I once thought, but since the skills are untethered from the stat, you also end up with less dice fi you use the stat specific blessing.  For example, Ioemedae will switch to diplomacy as it seems to me and then not give an additional die.  Good news is that big dog Davis said a fix is in the works for the blessings, but I'm not sure if they plan on fixing the stat/skill thing.

I wonder if they can make the selection bigger. The options are too small to select and most of the time the menu just closes. My thumbs are big yes but still, the options are pretty small and cluttered.

Agree with this, I had a bit of a tough time selecting the items from the dropdown.

PFID-F5D45B8AF20421AC

I wonder if they can make the selection bigger. The options are too small to select and most of the time the menu just closes. My thumbs are big yes but still, the options are pretty small and cluttered.

Agree with this, I had a bit of a tough time selecting the items from the dropdown.

Yeah, and what's more is that it used to crunch the numbers and automatically go to the most advantageous selection.  For example, if you could use CHA, DIP, WIS, PER, it would set itself to the one that worked best.  If you used a blessing, it automatically switched to the statistically superior one.  Say you had CHA d6 with plus two and so had a slight advantage on a base 6 check but then used blessing of Shelyn which yielded 3 d12 total, then it would switch wisdom.

The blessings are kind of messed up.  Not worth getting all riled up over it, but I'm a lazy bastard, so I prefer it when I have a relatively high trust for the game.

Yeah, and what's more is that it used to crunch the numbers and automatically go to the most advantageous selection.  For example, if you could use CHA, DIP, WIS, PER, it would set itself to the one that worked best.  If you used a blessing, it automatically switched to the statistically superior one.  Say you had CHA d6 with plus two and so had a slight advantage on a base 6 check but then used blessing of Shelyn which yielded 3 d12 total, then it would switch wisdom.

The blessings are kind of messed up.  Not worth getting all riled up over it, but I'm a lazy bastard, so I prefer it when I have a relatively high trust for the game.

It didn't always switch to the statistically superior one. Usually it just switched to whichever check was getting +2 dice (if applicable). I had one case that I can remember where Seoni was being given an Intelligence or Arcane test (which doesn't use Intelligence for her). It just so happened that the top of the Blessings Discard was Irori (the +2 intelligence blessing). So I had someone recharge that blessing, and it switched to 3d6 rather than 2d12 + 4. That was not a statistically superior change...

But recently, the changes have definitely been worse than they used to be. I've seen switching to Strength instead of Strength/Melee on characters that actually have the Melee skill. Switching from Wisdom to Perception on characters that don't have the Perception skill (causing a default to 1d4, instead of 1d6 or higher). And so forth...

Ah, I see.  In that case, the important things, in order of importance:

1.  tether the skill to the stat so the dice are right.

2.  don't switch to the skill when the stat is superior.

3.  switch to the most advantageous roll based on blessings.

I would say the first two are vital.  The third one is a really good idea.  If we don't switch to the best check, that's more or less our faults, but still desirable to do so.  However, switching to non-trained diplomacy when the charisma check is better is just silly.  Most silly is not giving the extra die for the associated stat.