Cheers! 

Need some info on the cipher that some of you expert players might share with me..

I've noticed how slow one can be in drawing focus.. does the drained focus depend on the damage dealt or from the weapon?

I've also noticed that many powers reach not very far. The description itself paints it like a "spellknife"... Is there any sense in building a ranged cipher?

I'm asking this last question because, among the soulbind-able weapons the ones for cipher are bow and crossbow....so I'm a bit confused about what's best for him.. I tought of firearms (not very long range) and stilettos maybe... but it's still hypothesis... 

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Focus gain is based on damage dealt. I believe it's 20% of damage dealt, which can be increased with Draining Whip. 

I used Grieving Mother with a pistol during my first playthrough of the game. Work really well. Though, if you don't mind micro-managing positioning/buffs, a dual dagger Cipher would be brutal. 

I'll try firearms then. Too much micro would take too much effort for me...

BUT.... come to think of it... would the apprentice sneak attack count as damage dealt for the sake of focus gained?

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Longbow I have tried. No like. The distance is too far away, once focus is charged I have to move close anyway...

Pike or staff, instead offer reach.... mmm viable...

I'd like him to be sorta rogue with mental powers... I even did it death godlike... so even the godlike's added damage should stack for focus, right?

Update: tried with pistol... slow as hell... there must be something which is a good compromise between distance and speed... The bow seems the most indicated, mmm maybe should try again with wood elves along with hunter bow... and longer range powers...

I need an advice from you... is there any talent or ability one could take that "mimics" the rogue's escape?

I need an advice from you... is there any talent or ability one could take that "mimics" the rogue's escape?

No, but a cape with that spellbind. You can get it through a stronghold adventures once you claimed caed Nua. About the balance between speed and damage... I'd say there are two options: war bow if you prefer speed and crossbow if you prefer damage. Personally, I prefer the crossbow due to the uniques... But the war bow is very viable as well.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Well... I'd say bow, since the cipher already adds me 20% on its own... Now i'm trying to make it rogue-ish.... that is: sneak, use apprentice sneak attack and fire unseen, lot of damage, good focus charge. Escape, let the others go front, shoot mind magic from behind...

Still undecided on the race... elf seems good, death godlike too.. orlan could also be....

Edited by Slack83er

Well... I'd say bow, since the cipher already adds me 20% on its own... Now i'm trying to make it rogue-ish.... that is: sneak, use apprentice sneak attack and fire unseen, lot of damage, good focus charge. Escape, let the others go front, shoot mind magic from behind...

Still undecided on the race... elf seems good, death godlike too.. orlan could also be....

Many of the ciphers abilities don't gain a lot from positioning (while some do... Antipathetic field I'm looking at you). Take a look at boeroer's ditchomos soul twins... melee cipher might be interesting for you (more rouge like imo... It's a good build anyway). Otherwise ranged cipher is also a obviously good option Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

I tried to bring him melee but I was very weak... casting mind powers is not very fast... I get hit a lot in the meantime... 

Maybe I'm missing something...

I tried to bring him melee but I was very weak... casting mind powers is not very fast... I get hit a lot in the meantime...

Maybe I'm missing something...

Wisphers of Treason has been changed to a "fast" casting time, so it might be of interest. Other than that you will soon get psychobampiric shield... As Boeroer said, it is ideal to first build focus up for the shield and then go into melee. On higher levels the low initial stats won't be that big of a problem as well. Edited by Ben No.3

And everybody knows

The dichotomous is a very particular build as I can see... BUT the stat allocation is clever.. 18 Dex means you will be very quick in firing and gathering focus. I'm not sure I want to move melee, as -after all- there's no particular advantage in doing so... 

But tell me... which race would you pick? Orlan as Boeroer? (even from a rp-point of view)

During ch.1 it's best to start the encounters with an arquebus and then switch to a war bow for the rest of the fight. In ch.2 you can replace the war bow with the engwithan scepter (lash, exceptional, durgan enchanted). In ch.3 the engwithan scepter can be replaced with the rain of godagh field war bow (lash, durgan enchanted) which is the ranged weapon with the highest dps for a cipher.

Edited by Kaylon

How to play ranged cipher:

Get 3 weapon slots either through race or talent.

Pick Quick switch.

Pick 2 pistols/bb/arquebus and 1 bow.

Open up with the heavy weapons voila you have between 60-100 focus, cast and switch to bow.

If you get aggroed use whispers of treason if the enemy is very dangerous or Ectopsychic Echo if you can tank him for a little.

That's not the playstyle I have in mind. I hate weapon switchin' every fight... I want my playthrough to be natural, and in this case, roguelike. So:

opening shot with the bow, go behind, let the frontliners do their job, help them with mind powers. I don't care if I'm not the strongest...I play easy, no need to search for "the strongest" or "the best" or "the absolutely fantastic". I just want a character that corresponds to my idea. No min-max, no strategies. 

I've had quite a bit of success with Cipher and Stormcaller, but you have to stack DR piercing.

Stormcaller gives -6 DR Shock on Hit

Penetrating Shot gives -5 DR

Ryona's Bracers gives -3 DR

So thats a hefty extra -14 DR on each attack (14 extra damage basically) on a weapon that can be shock/pierce. Which basically means that my Cipher (Grieving Mother works well) does a lot of damage pers shot-leading to lots of focus gain on a Fast weapon. (She is basically up to max Focus in the time it takes Durance to fire one shot off his Arquebus, thank goodness I'm not paying him to look pretty and do damage).

prototype00

P.s. Pick up Heart of the Storm for more damage.

Edited by prototype00
  • Like 2