Ready the cannons is kind of harsh

(I'm playing the expansions blind, haven't played them before)

I'm 100 hours into my first triple crown attempt(yeah I'm taking it slow), had a blast for every minute... but its really hard. Well now Kana died in the quest "Ready the cannons" and all my will to continue the game is completely lost.

I have fought dragons, hordes of foul creatures. I have been close to wipe the fellowship but always fought to survive. And how does Kana die..? He slips of a lift because I choose the wrong choice... like a 6 second decision. And how does is fellow adventure react... not all all. Nothing! Really bad the whole thing. Now I cant do his personal quest, was looking forward to go down The Endless Path.

You get kind of attached to the characters after 100 hours and just to kill of one like that feels like a jerk move. Is there more quest which kill companions in a click like they are nothing worth?

Well I'm taking a break from this crap for a while maybe the will to play comes back in a week or two. Sorry for the rant.

Well I don't want to spoil much but you can loose one of your companions at the end of WM2. Their survivial depends on statistics, White Forge choice or special item you can get by one of side quest. I suggest hiring an adventurer for WM2 ending and making dirty job for you :)

Edited by White Phoenix

If you want satisfaction the secret is... don't play Trial of Iron. It seems a little weird to be annoyed that people died in the difficulty where people die, if I were to attempt it (which I might at some point) I wouldn't be taking chances on anything.

• Like 1

^^^^^ This. Isn't the whole point of Trial of Iron supposed to be about consequences. Personally I wish the game had more of those encounters. Tends to be more realistic as well, you know sh*^%t happens.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

What a bummer to lose Kana, but accepting the narrative of a hardcore run is part of the appeal I suppose.

I am a serial save scum addict who will reload if I don't like a consequence, yet when I lost Kana in Pillars it was the first time I accepted the loss and moved on. My last save was only 10 mins old but for the first to me in a infinity engine style game that I just did not care. Poor boring Kana.

The problem is that you lose all the equipment, too. I lost my hireling priest of berath with Tidefall and all his good stuff. It wasn't ToI so I just reloaded. But I remember that I thought "WTF just happened"?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes - but I simply reloaded, so no permanent loss. ;) I never chose the option to go to the edge of the lift before - despite the fact that I played this enounter like a hundret times. Don't know why to be honest. This was the first time and I was a bit surprised the outcome was so... finite.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you want satisfaction the secret is... don't play Trial of Iron. It seems a little weird to be annoyed that people died in the difficulty where people die, if I were to attempt it (which I might at some point) I wouldn't be taking chances on anything.

If Kana would have died while in battle, like with the Dragon or some other really hard battle I wouldn't have complained. Because after all I play on Trial of Iron. Now he died because I click the wrong choice in a conversion. Like either I click "yes" or "no".. oops!... I clicked "yes"... he died. I mean what does that have to do with skill or micromanagement. I fought a bad-ass dragon that took me a hour of micromanagement to kill and Kana was a total bad-ass, then the next day he died because I clicked "yes". lol

Well, in a more positive light, I have completed PoE and got the "Frozen Crown" achievement (Completing Main campaign and both expansions on trial of iron, expert mode and path of the damned difficulty). Looking forward to Tyranny!

Cheers!

Well either roleplay as you were and enjoy meaty consequences, or pre-google quests to avoid such eventualities. I still don't get the problem, if you're Trial by Ironing for consequential gameplay I would feel almost satisfied someone had died to re-affirm my gameplay choice - even if it was due to a scripted event; if you're Trial by Ironing for the difficulty/achievements I would pre-search the outcomes to avoid pitfalls.

If you're going in blind to a perma-death run and you aren't satisfied with people dying by scripted events/glitches/extreme misfortune, then I'm not really sure what you were looking for with going in such a difficulty setting. Besides having just one guy die out of the plethora you can hire doesn't sound like a dramatic setback, even if you do lose their equipment.