Need a melee char with good DPS and survivability

I am reasonably new to this game. Played as a Paladin but got bored as it was mainly a damage absorber and didn't really have much DPS.

I need a new character that swings a weapon for good damage, and doesn't die in a few hits.

Will be in a party with the mage, priest and Eder on hard/hardest setting.

Can anyone point me to an existing template, or give me some advice on starting such a char (what to pick at creation and what to pick at each level).

Thanks.

What you describe seems either barbarian or monk, depending on your playstyle.. While barbarian uses frenzy and has the ability to dish out damage even to those surrounding the main target, monk exploits the damage he receives in a very powerful way. Regarding the builds, just check the appropriate section. Every build has the details explained.

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Fighter would work very well too. They're fantastically durable and powerful at single-target DPS. However, they can be a bit passive. Not necessarily an issue when you have speed and high numbers across the board. 

I'd recommend checking out The Juggernaut, Lady of Pain, Monksterlasher, maybe Interrupt Barbarian. The Barbarian builds on the board are rarely standard ones, as it's pretty easy and straight-forward to build it. But I can give a few pointers for the class if you want just a standard stand-up-and-fight build. 

• Like 1

Fighters are more fun if they can run fast. At least that's my opinion.

That way Knockdown is also more useful and more fun. Once you can get Clear Out and Charge the fighter is not as passive anymore and can do a bit AoE damage - but the best part of it is Charge's instant teleport across the battlefield. :)

And they are sturdy enough to run behind enemy lines without dying quickly, even without shield. Nice disruptors!

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Conscious that I have only one more post available to me before my daily tally is exhausted (just registered for this site an hour ago).

So, is there an existing template someone can point me to please?

Maybe it's a fighter that I need? Dunno, just want something that can destroy mobs by swinging a huge axe or some other 2 hander, and won't die in a handful of hits like the 'interrupt barbarian' template that I followed.

As I say, it will have the fighter, mage and priest from early game in the party with it. A four person party.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what attributes and abilities etc are needed sadly. I'm sure this kind of template request has been made before but I can't see anything suitable on this site. Believe me I looked and that's how I came across the 'interrupt barbarian' which I thought would do the job, but sadly for whatever reason it isn't working for me.

Thanks in advance. I have just one more post left I can make today, so will save that for the right moment.

The thing about the builds on this board is that they presume you've played through the game. I can't really think of a early-game build/guide off the top of my head. But since you seem to be struggling with the early and you have some stated goals, I'll recommend this: 

Class Barbarian

Race: Aumaua/Moon Godlike (for Stun/Prone defense and healing respectively). You might like Moon Godlike more. 

Culture/Background: Your choice, I like stuff that gives me Survival. 

Stats: 

MIG 18

CON 10

DEX 10

PER 16

INT 16

RES 8

Put all skill points into Survival. Choose the Heal Bonus. 

Class Abilities: 

1st Level: Frenzy. This is the foundation of your play-style. Pop it just before your party and the enemy collides. You'll see a fantastic speed-increase. It'll let you tear all weaker mobs to pieces and put down serious hurt on stronger ones. 

3rd Level: Savage Defiance. Panic button. Works very well with a Moon Godlike if you're in Frenzy. When the second pulse goes out and you still have a bunch of seconds left on Frenzy, pop this after a moment or two. Welcome to immortality. 

5th Level: Bloodlust. This will let you keep your speed up once Frenzy wears off. Nice passive buff. 

Talents: 

2nd Level: Weapon Focus: Adventurer or Soldier. Gives you extra accuracy, which you need. Your pick is determined by which weapon you find at Magran's Fork. If it's a Fine Poleaxe, use Adventurer, if it's a Fine Greatsword, use Soldier. 

4th Level: Savage Attacks/Two-Handed Style. I consider the damage increase to be worth the accuracy loss. This is probably not true on Path of the Damned, but I basically just play Hard. I recommend you do too at this point in your career. If you don't want to lose accuracy, pick Two-Handed Style. 

6th Level: Accurate Carnage. Worthwhile investment. 

You could also pick Veteran's Recovery at either Level 4 or 6 if you feel you struggle to stay alive. You shouldn't with Savage Defiance though. 

Equipment: 

Fine Greatsword/Poleaxe: Depends on what you find in Magran's Fork. 

Justice: I won't spoil where you get this greatsword, but it's pretty nice early game. Tough fight to get it though. 

Breastplate/Brigandine/Full Plate: Basically, just use any of these three, Fine if you can. Choose Full Plate over Brigandine. Breastplate if you feel you need more speed. There are Fine versions of the Breastplate and Brigandine fairly early on. 

Fulvano's Gloves/Boots/Amulet: All of them give nice buffs for the early game. They're rather easy to find too. 

Minor Ring of Protection/Deflection: They'll help and you have nothing better to use. 

Your other option is to go for a Fighter. Same race choices, same equipment. Pick Two-Handed Style instead of Accurate Carnage. Stats should be same, but DEX 14, INT 12. Talents should be KnockdownConfident AimWeapon Specialization

This is not min-maxed. This is not the best you can do this early in the game. But it's solid and it'll do what you want. 

• Like 1

The thing about the builds on this board is that they presume you've played through the game. I can't really think of a early-game build/guide off the top of my head. But since you seem to be struggling with the early and you have some stated goals, I'll recommend this: 

Class Barbarian

Race: Aumaua/Moon Godlike (for Stun/Prone defense and healing respectively). You might like Moon Godlike more. 

Culture/Background: Your choice, I like stuff that gives me Survival. 

Stats: 

MIG 18

CON 10

DEX 10

PER 16

INT 16

RES 8

Put all skill points into Survival. Choose the Heal Bonus. 

Class Abilities: 

1st Level: Frenzy. This is the foundation of your play-style. Pop it just before your party and the enemy collides. You'll see a fantastic speed-increase. It'll let you tear all weaker mobs to pieces and put down serious hurt on stronger ones. 

3rd Level: Savage Defiance. Panic button. Works very well with a Moon Godlike if you're in Frenzy. When the second pulse goes out and you still have a bunch of seconds left on Frenzy, pop this after a moment or two. Welcome to immortality. 

5th Level: Bloodlust. This will let you keep your speed up once Frenzy wears off. Nice passive buff. 

Talents: 

2nd Level: Weapon Focus: Adventurer or Soldier. Gives you extra accuracy, which you need. Your pick is determined by which weapon you find at Magran's Fork. If it's a Fine Poleaxe, use Adventurer, if it's a Fine Greatsword, use Soldier. 

4th Level: Savage Attacks/Two-Handed Style. I consider the damage increase to be worth the accuracy loss. This is probably not true on Path of the Damned, but I basically just play Hard. I recommend you do too at this point in your career. If you don't want to lose accuracy, pick Two-Handed Style. 

6th Level: Accurate Carnage. Worthwhile investment. 

You could also pick Veteran's Recovery at either Level 4 or 6 if you feel you struggle to stay alive. You shouldn't with Savage Defiance though. 

Equipment: 

Fine Greatsword/Poleaxe: Depends on what you find in Magran's Fork. 

Justice: I won't spoil where you get this greatsword, but it's pretty nice early game. Tough fight to get it though. 

Breastplate/Brigandine/Full Plate: Basically, just use any of these three, Fine if you can. Choose Full Plate over Brigandine. Breastplate if you feel you need more speed. There are Fine versions of the Breastplate and Brigandine fairly early on. 

Fulvano's Gloves/Boots/Amulet: All of them give nice buffs for the early game. They're rather easy to find too. 

Minor Ring of Protection/Deflection: They'll help and you have nothing better to use. 

Your other option is to go for a Fighter. Same race choices, same equipment. Pick Two-Handed Style instead of Accurate Carnage. Stats should be same, but DEX 14, INT 12. Talents should be KnockdownConfident AimWeapon Specialization

This is not min-maxed. This is not the best you can do this early in the game. But it's solid and it'll do what you want. 

Appreciate the time you took to answer, and so quickly too.

Thank you. I will give this a try.

Like Greensleeve said, most builds posted on the forum are mid-game to end-game builds. They need abilities, talents, and gear from later in the game for their mechanics to start working right.

Monks work too if you don't mind dual-wielding (unarmed or with weapons) instead of using a 2-handed weapon. They are great offensive tanks early (and late) in the game - it is hard to go wrong with them.

Race: Coastal Aumaua, Dwarf (either), Pale Elf, Godlike (fire or moon), Orlan (either) - pretty much anything works. Moon godlike is easiest at low levels.

Culture/background: Skip Aedyr and Ixamitl, otherwise it all works. As above, survival is very useful for the healing bonus.

Stats

MIG 16+

CON 14+ (you have to get hurt to do most monk stuff)

DEX to taste (you're dual-wielding and using Torment's Reach a lot for full attacks, so your effective attack speed is already pretty fast)

PER 10+ (Accuracy and interrupting is nice)

INT 10+ (helps Torment's Reach AoE, Swift Strikes/Stunning Blow/Force of Anguish/Veteran's Recovery durations)

RES up to 10 (other stats are generally more important but being interrupted too often could be bad)

Level    Ability/Talent

1. Torment's Reach
  2. Weapon Focus Peasant (or the WF for whatever weapons you want to use if you don't like unarmed)
  3. Swift Strikes for DPS or Force of Anguish if you want single-target CC.
  4. Lightning Strikes if you took Swift Strikes or Two Weapon Style
  5. Turning Wheel (more DPS but at its best at low levels), Stunning Blow (CC), Swift Strikes, or Force of Anguish
  6. Vulnerable Attack, Lightning Strikes, or Two Weapon Style

Replace any of the talents with Veteran's Recovery if you're having trouble healing/tanking, though that shouldn't be too much of a problem with a second tank (Eder) and Durance for healing.

Equipment is pretty similar to the barbarian above except you want to dual wield whatever weapons you prefer. Stick to the heaviest armor you can find until higher levels and don't forget to enchant it. Fulvano's Gear is again not bad. Don't forget to eat food and use other consumable items to help with at least the more serious fights - you'll be rolling in money later so the small cost of crafting that stuff soon becomes negligible.

Edited by K Galen B
  • Like 1

Go for monk, and choose between fire or Moon godlike. There are some nice build around: monksterlash, illuminated master ( mine) and juggernout, all three in the build thread. Choose one and Stick with it, anyway with monk you can't fail