Dominated + Take the Hit = poor fighter

Boeroer

Question

Hi!

v3.03.1047 PX1 PX2 -steam, on Linux:

Let's pretend you have a wizard with that soulbound scepter and a fighter with "Take the Hit" in the party.

Now, if you dominate an enemy with the soulbound scepter - in my case a troll - then said troll will profit from Take the Hit if he is in the fighter's range.
So if you hit the troll while he is dominated, you will hurt your fighter, too. "Ok" you might say, "then don't touch the troll unless dominate wears off", and right you are. Only that Take the Hit still works even if the troll is no longer dominated - meaning you have to switch off Take the Hit or move your fighter out of reach or he will die from raw damage while you try to kill the not-any-more-dominated troll.

Maybe I'll upload a savegame later. I have to find a proper situation where you can reproduce this issue without too much fuzz...

I can't say if this also happens with other types of enemies or with charmed. It was really obvious with trolls because of their high endurance. I had to put aside the soulbound scepter and take another one for the current playthrough. Now I'm a bit sad... ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 answers to this question

I think there's a general problem with these kind of effects to be honest, for example if you Charm an enemy and you have a Paladin aura active (or Gallant's Focus) those benefits will persist with the enemy after they switch sides again. I never bothered to mention it as it seemed more like a minor annoyance, however it seems like your issue is a much worse and noteworthy manifestation of the same problem.

So this affects those buffs which should immediatley stop when enemies change sides again.

They don't get cancelled and will not wear off - like Zealous Focus, -Endurance and -Charge, Take the Hit, chanter's supportive chants and so on.

That should be easy to reproduce without a savegame.

A solution would be to not allow charmed enemies any buffs at all - or to correctly cancel any buffs that have no (or infinite?) duration because they are auras of some sort.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So this affects those buffs which should immediatley stop when enemies change sides again.

They don't get cancelled and will not wear off - like Zealous Focus, -Endurance and -Charge, Take the Hit, chanter's supportive chants and so on.

That should be easy to reproduce without a savegame.

A solution would be to not allow charmed enemies any buffs at all - or to correctly cancel any buffs that have no (or infinite?) duration because they are auras of some sort.

That's just circumventing a bug. The only real solution would be to strip the enemy of player party buffs once they switch back and vice versa. Some Buffs have a duration for instance the chanter aura, so they should simply time out. Persistent AoE buffs like Paladin buffs don't time out, they simply apply and remove when you move into or out of the area of effect. Since it is a persistent party aura it should not apply to enemies, and it doesn't. It just doesn't get removed when they switch back.

Appreciate your telling us and being honest about the rationale :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus