Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best moments in a game

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Deionarra's interactions in PS:T. Especially the first one because that was what hooked me in the game. The first dragon encounter at the Western Watch Tower in Skyrim. I was using the deadly dragons mod and it was the first time I'd fought one. Later on... not a big deal. But the first one is always the best. Also in Skyrim the Dwemer ruin that starts the Atherial Crown quest where you meed the ghost. That was cool too. The Revan reveal... didn't see that coming. But my favorite was this: https://www.youtube....h?v=m3dTyolNsZ8

• LittleRose likes this

BrotherFerg

BrotherFerg

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 52 posts
Silent Hill 2 when I heard the whispering in the blue creek apartments, thought I was hearing things so creepy.

Baldurs Gate beating Sarevok without using wands of summoning. Fought him melee.

Ocarina of time when the game freezes at the end with you and Zelda as children.

Morrowind having the freedom to break into any house having my own place to keep my loot all set up on tables.

Oblivion/Skyrim, killing the first innocent and getting the letter from the Dark Brotherhood, "we know".

Witch Wild Hunt, walking through the forest at night with just a torch, also besting Von Evevric in combat.

Silent Hill 4, the feeling of loneliness being locked in an apartment the only way out through an otherworld inhabited my horrifying creatures.

The fireworks at the end of every Mario level, I always wondered where they came from and who was firing them.

Edited by BrotherFerg, 09 December 2016 - 07:27 AM.

Thingolfin

Thingolfin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 282 posts

I think my favorite gaming moment is probably playing Morrowind for the first time. Just wandering around in the world and discovering stuff - artifacts, books, cool ruins with insanely dangerous creatures. Hadn't played anything like it at the time.

More recently, there have been tons of great moments when playing Crusader Kings 2. Starting as a count in France, marrying into a dukedom in Italy, becoming King of Italy, later breeding a line of Genius Emperors through carefully electing the best possible candidates among my sons. Man I love that game.

Edited by Thingolfin, 09 December 2016 - 06:42 AM.

• Chilloutman likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2658 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Dungeon Keeper 2, when you hover too long on the Dark Mistresses having their fun in the torture chamber and the announcer chides you. "There's a word for Keepers like you..."
  • Malcador likes this

Agiel

Agiel

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 698 posts

Didn't think it worth necroing a topic I created that last had someone post there close to three years ago, but I'm glad someone uploaded this blast from the past from Jane's Fleet Command onto Youtube:

"Vampires inbound! Birds affirm!"

Edited by Agiel, 17 January 2017 - 11:43 PM.

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 909 posts

Witcher 2

When we fight final boss, and i am like "You know, at this point it dosnt matter or change anything, you had some good reasons thou, lets have a drink"

Witcher 3

When Keira Moritz got good ending. Thx for illusion gizmo girl.

Transistor

Every time the humming starts, this game was so preatty. The most romantic and subtle slasher ever

Mass Effect 2

When i could leave mercenary on his own. He dont really fit my save the world party.

Mass Effect 3

When Mordin had to do it alone, since that is the only way to be sure. The last flight of Tali or existencial crysis of Legion

Dragon Age Origins

The great battle, it havent gone as i expected. But the ogre kill animation was cool (havent seen anything like that before in VG)

Vampire: Bloodlines

Having to choose our favorite twin girl.

KOTOR

Revan Unmasked

Baldurs Gate 2

When Hydralisk scoundrel almost wooed Aerie out of my party. Havent expected that!

Edited by evilcat, 17 January 2017 - 11:55 PM.

• marelooke and LittleAmadillo0 like this

Quillon

Quillon

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Threads like these remind me my memory is ****.

My latest greatest moment would be in Witcher 3 in the isle of mists, a scene from the books recreated, almost shed a tear. Also another about to cry moment after "the play's the thing" and the third one from the bad ending; so masterfully done; every line, every action speaks volumes, driving a spear through Geralt's and my hearth that's blackened by then..."maybe once, in a different time, I'd have helped..."

In one of ME3's indistinguishable ****ty endings; seeing Liara's smile in the flashes as Shopardo destroys the machine-thing...

Again in ME3; Wrex's sudden confrontation in Citadel was hilarious... it was so evil, soo comic-book evil, felt like a jerk but hilarious nonetheless. It was worth intentionally building up certain choices through the games to see dat scene that maybe less than 5% of the players could have seen.

*searching through memories*

In my first playthrough in Expeditions: Conquistador, my character's name was Joey Tribbiani and normal dialogues became hilarious jos cos NPCs says the name, so I decided to name my second character Chandler Bing in the second playthrough and in the first conversation one of the dialogue choices was "Does the name Bing ring a Bell?"

himnnn... yeah dat Revan thing for me too...

From DAO: the ultimate sacrifice ending and Alistair's speech before the final battle...and Ostagar battle cutscene.

In New Vegas; after following the intended path to the Strip, taking my time doing everything. getting done with Boulder City and finally heading to Strip... walking on i-95 north of Helios One, seeing no obstacles between me and the Strip then suddenly Victor appears out of no where threading alongside me towards the strip... the whole experience.

Listening chief Hanlon talk for 20 mins straight.

aand too much ram usage in my brain, need a restart.

• marelooke likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2658 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Baldurs Gate 2

When Hydralisk scoundrel almost wooed Aerie out of my party. Havent expected that!

Oh yeah. Also, Edwin becoming Edwina. And on my first playthrough, before I knew romances were a thing, Jaheira and Aerie fighting over me.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2666 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

God. Damn.

Funny how people claim this is the weakest MGS game.

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts

I can't remember them all off the top of my head but here are a few I could think of:

Fallout 4

The Last Voyage of the USS Constitution

the only quest that I got a genuine enjoyment was from the USS Constitution help a bunch of ragtag robots get a ship operational so they can go to China and destroy all the communists.

At the end of the mission as they were starting to fire up the ship and saw it lift off I was think "You know they might actually make it to China". And then they crashes head on into a building. I laughed so ****ing hard at that.

Bioshock

Aside from the plot twist everybody pretty much knows by now .

Bill McDonagh

Spoiler

Pillars of Eternity

Animancy Hearing

Spoiler

Itumaak flying

I don't know if this is a common bug but sometimes when Itumak has either been hit or rendered unconscious his body floats and warps slowly flying off screen. That always gets a kick out of me.

Dragon age Origins

The battle of Ostigar

Spoiler

Random screaming

Another hilarious bug I run into from time to time. The audio files will sometimes get jumbled typically with the companions of the game. Imagine just having a normal conversation with a companion and then suddenly they jump to a completely different topic. Or confessing your love to one of them and then suddenly they scream "DIE FIEND".

• Hawke64 likes this

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
"Funny. That was your first wish."
  • melkathi and algroth like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9065 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Clicking to move Xan over and over to hear him say "Our quest is vain" 50x, laughing like a loon the whole time.

...I don't really have "best gaming moments." It's mostly those sudden, inexplicable and wholly random times where I can't stop laughing for some reason that I remember most in terms of years later.  Not that I haven't had satisfying moments of beating a boss or finding an item or liking a chr. arc or whatnot. But none of those compares to a good bout of hysterical laughter.

• Mamoulian War, Chilloutman, Hawke64 and 1 other like this

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
"*Know* that when death comes for you, *know* that I shall meets its blade with mine. *Know* that when all dies around you, *know* I shall live for your sake."

"When we die, Dak'kon, it shall be the same death. It shall be the Pronouncement of Two Deaths As One."
  • algroth likes this

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts

Clicking to move Xan over and over to hear him say "Our quest is vain" 50x, laughing like a loon the whole time.

...I don't really have "best gaming moments." It's mostly those sudden, inexplicable and wholly random times where I can't stop laughing for some reason that I remember most in terms of years later.  Not that I haven't had satisfying moments of beating a boss or finding an item or liking a chr. arc or whatnot. But none of those compares to a good bout of hysterical laughter.

I find that some of my favorite memories come pure spontaneity of a game. And by Spontenaity, I mean bugs

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 304 posts

This, above all others. I'm at work and I'm fighting back tears so people don't ask questions.

'Another World' meant many things to many people, but for me it's a compelling portrayal of the loneliness and exhaustion of creative obsession. It's a barrage of broken communication, impressions of odd shapes. You've no choice but to progress via trial and error. And what's the reward? There isn't one.

From what I remember, Chahi storyboarded Lester becoming ruler of the aliens, but after two years of solitary graft, the game simply ended with pain, depletion and... some kind of release - maybe death, maybe not. I've got this notion that Chahi was so burnt-out and hermetical by the end, the game wound up mirroring his own state.

But obviously this is just me projecting, hoping someone else out there "gets it". I suppose it doesn't matter whether anyone gets it. The fact Chahi created such an outlet is enough.

The wonderfully naive John Carpenter-esque ending theme floors me every time. Eight notes that unspool into a clumsy melody. For me, it drives home that the game was made by flawed humans plucking beauty from... somewhere, rather than a process.

Chahi got this on some level, and he was a relentless champion of Jean-Fran├žois Freitas's minimal score. He famously sabotaged Interplay's fax machine to deter interference.

And on top of all this, you have the alien. Someone who doesn't understand you perfectly, but is loyal and caring enough to reach through all that and stay with you to the bitter end, like a befuddled yet supportive partner.

Man, I could go on about this for so long. I was also going to mention the end of Arkane's Prey. "I need to know if you see us. If you really see us. Take my hand if you do." But I think one rambling, reflective essay is enough for now.

• Chilloutman likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3218 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
While I love the idea of this thread, it's a spoilerfest :p

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 993 posts
The ending of original Fallout.
One of rare moments in gaming when I got upset at game world and characters and not writers and designers.

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer
Meeting the Bane of Kree with Torian Kel in my party.

Also what Epaminondas said.
Following up on that: dying in the siege tower.

Celes waking up alone in FFVI.

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't know if this counts as a favorite moment or a favorite item. Pale Justice from Icewind Dale 2. I didn't even realize that it was magic the first run. The second run, I was more careful. Plain looking sword that is brutally good. Best back story too:

"Justice always pales in comparison to vanity and ostentatious displays of power. I expected Tyr to manifest his divine will in this blade with lightning and fire. I should have remembered how the blade was given to me... with simple charity and humility. Justice is the right of every man, no matter how rich or poor, no matter how educated or ignorant. It should be found as often in the fields of farmers as it is in the fields of battle."

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7782 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

• Starwars likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users