Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best moments in a game

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Dainalt

Dainalt

(2) Evoker

• Validating
  • 78 posts

That DRake video totally makes me think of a daytime Soap Opera.

I'd agree except the acting's actually good in the Drake clip and generally horrible in soaps.  Not that I have much experience with soaps.  <.<

Edited by Dainalt, 08 October 2016 - 11:45 AM.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Two linked examples of the ambitious and convoluted narrative that the Legacy of Kain series provides, still some of my favourite moments in any medium:

Spoiler

Edited by Nonek, 08 October 2016 - 12:21 PM.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9345 posts

Kana realizing her impending death in Kana: Little Sister.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9097 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

When Yoshimo turned on me in BG2 and when I realized I was Revan in KotOR.  Both surprised me.  Also finishing Quest For Glory 4 was an amazing experience.  I had not internet to turn to for hints, so it was just me and my wits trying to solve puzzles.  Lastly, getting hit by a brick in the head no matter what direction I went in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.   

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'll name some later.

FONV
1. Starting with fo3 as my first fallout game, I had always killed house because I couldn't ever stomach killing this white knights. House always talked badly bout them but never cared, until I did quests for them and saw their ending slides. I had one of those moments where I was wrong and a ingame character was right. Been a house follower ever since.
2. Had guide, so thought I knew everything. Was playing a certain way where I wouldn't boost stats with temporary things and books. Recruiting prostitutes and couldn't get the ghoul because I couldn't hit any of the dialogue choices, and thought I'd have to fail it. Talked later but had a certain alcohol on me and she accepted.
3. Dead money, the whole damn part and especially leaving :(
Morrowind
1. Getting off the boat and looking around. Beautiful.
2. Finding out that the bad guys aren't actually bad and the good guys aren't good guys.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2676 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

X labs from Stalker: SoC. Also, rather surprisingly, the endings.

The mid game cutscene from System Shock 2.

The mid game cutscene from Bioshock.

The 'ski jump' in System Shock. I was pretty impressed with myself making it then cue 'nice jump, human' and an ambush by a bunch of security droids. Got trolled by an AI, guess that automatically passes the Turing Test.

The music from Outcast was perfect

I think only the System Shock one actually counts as a moment though.

• sorophx likes this

pmp10

pmp10

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 998 posts

Just before final boss fight in undying.

Edited by pmp10, 09 October 2016 - 12:03 PM.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7846 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

Once again, she gives it her all.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2905 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In Medieval 2: Total War, when I held off several stacks of the Mongol Horde with my Norman/Sicilian/Turcopole/Crusader army (severely lacking in Knights and heavy cavalry) on the banks of the Jordan by the skin of my teeth, after recently completing my conquest of the Holy Land. Of course a few turns later, I was finished off by the heathens.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
The phone call in the elementary school in silent hill 1. Also the "real" story to it was very nice.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3840 posts

I really liked the bit in SR3 where you're just driving around in a car with Pierce while singing together (badly). Games often struggle to convey the idea of friendship between characters, and this little scene managed that perfectly.

For an actual gameplay thing, killing Ragnaros for the first time in vanilla WoW would certainly qualify, way back in September 2005 if I remember right. By the end of that fight my hands were shaking so much that I could be mistaken for a Parkinson's sufferer. What made it sweeter is managing to pull off a ninja jumper-cable resurrection on a healer by vanishing and switching trinkets midfight.

Other memorable moments:

- Being exploded into pieces by Beren in Ultima 8. As a sheltered kid, I'd never seen that level of violence in a videogame before. The feeling when I managed to exact my revenge by recreating this method of drowning him filled me with warm fuzzies. (To this day I'm still pretty uncomfortable with all that blood and gore stuff. A few years later I was similarly shocked by Fallout's default level of violence, and proceeded to turn it down to the minimum setting.)

- Wing Commander 4 FMV. Technically my first FMV game was probably Return to Zork (bundled with a Sound Blaster), and I suppose Rebel Assault sort of had it (same), but I never had a PC able to run WC3 until after the next game was released. Seeing the opening cutscene for the first time was an amazing experience. "Multimedia" PC had been a buzzword for some time before that, but this for me was what finally delivered on the concept. (Shame about the missiles, after a while I ended up just turning invulnerability on and finishing the game that way)

- Winding back even further, I remember struggling to play SimFarm on a 286. It chugged, and the graphics were significantly compromised on an EGA graphics card. Then my dad got a DX2 486 laptop (supposedly a work laptop), and I was amazed at the difference it made running the game. Sure, the laptop's trackball is awful, and the screen was a DSTN monochrome panel, but never mind that, it was amazing all the same. There was a time in my life where SimFarm was my favourite game of all time, so it was a big deal in context.

• Malcador, sorophx, Keyrock and 2 others like this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10648 posts
Not intentionally, just a result of old age, my favourite moments might be from games people don't know (or only read/heard about).

Memorable moments: Beating Demogorgon in the 'The Forbidden Forest' (one of those games where the total is greater than the sum of it's parts, just a perfectly timed build up of pace and increasingly spooky atmosphere).
Finally beating Doomdark in Lords of Midnight (Mike Singleton was a bloody genious, still for me the best combination of roleplay, strategy and exploration only rivalled by 'Elite').
Speaking of which, reaching Elite status in 'Elite'. Take that you filthy Thargoids.
Finally bringing the Amulet of Yendor back to the surface in Rogue.
Last but not least, the warm and fuzzy feeling when my brother and I made it to level 99 in Bubble Bobble. No, we didn't beat it (didn't make it past level 100), but damn we had a blast.
  • sorophx likes this

Dainalt

Dainalt

(2) Evoker

• Validating
  • 78 posts

How's this for old, something someone said earlier reminded me of this game called... kingdom?  It was all text, but you had to decide on how much grain to save and how much to plant and balance it against the population.  We're talking 80's here, if not 70s.  Temple of Apshai.  Sundog.  M.U.L.E.  Ultime I-IV.  Best moments in games wouldn't even have made sense to my younger self.  There wasn't one long experience.  There was sheer pleasure at something that was, between the late 70s and throughout the 80s, this novel thing called computer gaming.  Hell, I remember my swinehearted brother in law made a living working on arcade games and, even though he was a real bastard, he rigged up space invaders for unlimited plays.  I wouldn't give Space Invaders a second look if someone released it now, but back then it was the bomb.  On the other hand, I've been playing this game called disturbed, a free to play 'graphics' adventure game, and those text (or text with really primitive graphics) games still appeal to me.  Time to pull out a Mind Forever Voyaging if I could just find it and play that one again.  Tried to get my lady friend to enjoy Zork, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really liked the bit in SR3 where you're just driving around in a car with Pierce while singing together (badly). Games often struggle to convey the idea of friendship between characters, and this little scene managed that perfectly.

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in games in general.  I look the clip up on YouTube occasionally just to revisit the moment.  Although they drive the scene better than I did. lol.

There's a scene in SAINTS ROW 2 that really transcended for me, when The Boss is drugged and the Sons of Samedi kidnap them/attack the base.  The character I was playing, plus the voice set I'd chosen made the scenario attack both gripping and daft at the same time.  You weaving around on drugs shooting up badguys before finally tripping over  a couch after the fight.  It sealed me as a fan of the game.  Truly hated they changed the voice sets in SRIV since the one I was using wasn't there anymore.

On a totally different note, when I played Dragon's Dogma I spent a lot of time exploring.  I loved going out at night with a lamp on and how it changed the ambience.  But one thing is I saw walking around a waterfall - games had taught me that secret stuff can be hidden behind them, so I walked up and...there was a cave that led to a temple. Wandering around the temple I got into a fight with a cyclops.  Couldn't get far because I hadn't even gotten the quest to go to the temple yet.  But it really made the exploration work for me, finding that cave and that cyclops.

• Hawke64 likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7729 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

tassadar sacrifice at the end o' starcraft were kinda memorable for Gromnir.  not on par with the mebbeth incarnation o' ravel's coda, but worthy o' mention.

y'know, our actual best gaming moment might be when we downloaded a patch for mechwarrior: mercenaries to correct a bug that were preventing us from progressing.  message boards and developer responses were a bit slower back in those days, so we spent considerable game hours trying to figure out what we were doing wrong 'fore we realized that our failure to rendezvous with a dropship were the result o' a bug.  being actual to progress after literal wasting more than a dozen hours on a sisyphean task, followed by a week (or two?) waiting for a hotfix, were likely our bestest game moment.

HA! Good Fun!

ps honorable mention for troika as no developer has so consistant had our best gaming moment for their titles existing immediate before playing the games.  so many great concepts ruined by poor execution.

Edited by Gromnir, 11 October 2016 - 12:57 PM.

• Malcador and sorophx like this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2721 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Spoiler

Red Dead Redemption

Spoiler

BioShock 2

Spoiler

Dead Rising 2

Spoiler

Fallout 2

Spoiler

Bloodborne

Spoiler

Demon's Souls

Spoiler

Battlefield: Bad Company

Spoiler

Fallout: New Vegas

Spoiler

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Spoiler

Edited by Katphood, 12 October 2016 - 04:03 AM.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3811 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
Well, someone has to be first :-P

FFVII. Seeing Aerith's death after I spent so much time with her was for me (and still is) the most shocking experience, I have ever had in gaming.

FFX: The ending of the game, was the first time and only time, when I was unable to hold my mantear :-)

PST: Knowing for the first time, what was really written on my scarred back, and following discusion with Morte :-D

BG2: Fight with Kangaxx the Demilich I had no internet at that time, and I had no chance to get some hints how to defeat him. After 6 hours of trying different approaches, including using spell Wish, to summon 100 Rabbits, I was finally able to defeat him.

Gran Turismo 5: Vettel Challenges. I still miss the gold for Suzuka, but degwating the gold time at the Nurburgring after 4 hours of trying was for me the best momemt in racing game so far.
  • sorophx likes this

marelooke

marelooke

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1094 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in games in general.  I look the clip up on YouTube occasionally just to revisit the moment.  Although they drive the scene better than I did. lol.

There's a scene in SAINTS ROW 2 that really transcended for me, when The Boss is drugged and the Sons of Samedi kidnap them/attack the base.  The character I was playing, plus the voice set I'd chosen made the scenario attack both gripping and daft at the same time.  You weaving around on drugs shooting up badguys before finally tripping over  a couch after the fight.  It sealed me as a fan of the game.  Truly hated they changed the voice sets in SRIV since the one I was using wasn't there anymore.

On a totally different note, when I played Dragon's Dogma I spent a lot of time exploring.  I loved going out at night with a lamp on and how it changed the ambience.  But one thing is I saw walking around a waterfall - games had taught me that secret stuff can be hidden behind them, so I walked up and...there was a cave that led to a temple. Wandering around the temple I got into a fight with a cyclops.  Couldn't get far because I hadn't even gotten the quest to go to the temple yet.  But it really made the exploration work for me, finding that cave and that cyclops.

Ah, the Watergod's Altar.

I remember the first time I got jumped by a Chimera while minding my own business making my way to the Shadow Fort  (and actively avoiding the "big scary monsters" because I assumed they'd tear me to shreds). It was a fun fight (and I won) and got me hooked on the game (and hunting bigger and bigger baddies).

At one point in F.E.A.R. I was skulking around an empty office building where all the offices had glass walls when suddenly something seemed to be tossed through one of those, shattering the glass and almost giving me a heart attack (no enemies were involved, the building was and stayed empty). That was the first and only jump scare in the game and it worked so well *because* it was the only one as the rest of the game I was always on edge expecting more of that...

• redneckdevil and Hawke64 like this

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

• Members
  • 1034 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in games in general. I look the clip up on YouTube occasionally just to revisit the moment. Although they drive the scene better than I did. lol.

There's a scene in SAINTS ROW 2 that really transcended for me, when The Boss is drugged and the Sons of Samedi kidnap them/attack the base. The character I was playing, plus the voice set I'd chosen made the scenario attack both gripping and daft at the same time. You weaving around on drugs shooting up badguys before finally tripping over a couch after the fight. It sealed me as a fan of the game. Truly hated they changed the voice sets in SRIV since the one I was using wasn't there anymore.

On a totally different note, when I played Dragon's Dogma I spent a lot of time exploring. I loved going out at night with a lamp on and how it changed the ambience. But one thing is I saw walking around a waterfall - games had taught me that secret stuff can be hidden behind them, so I walked up and...there was a cave that led to a temple. Wandering around the temple I got into a fight with a cyclops. Couldn't get far because I hadn't even gotten the quest to go to the temple yet. But it really made the exploration work for me, finding that cave and that cyclops.

Ah, the Watergod's Altar.

I remember the first time I got jumped by a Chimera while minding my own business making my way to the Shadow Fort (and actively avoiding the "big scary monsters" because I assumed they'd tear me to shreds). It was a fun fight (and I won) and got me hooked on the game (and hunting bigger and bigger baddies).

At one point in F.E.A.R. I was skulking around an empty office building where all the offices had glass walls when suddenly something seemed to be tossed through one of those, shattering the glass and almost giving me a heart attack (no enemies were involved, the building was and stayed empty). That was the first and only jump scare in the game and it worked so well *because* it was the only one as the rest of the game I was always on edge expecting more of that...

Hehe I lov d that part :) I'd have to say 2 more comes to mind when I think of that game.
1. When u go down the ladder and she's in ur face.
2. Right before u exit the sewers into the office and a cloak enemy jumps down and takes off in front of u. The rest of the level and onwards I was looking in every corner not wanting that sob to ambush me lol.

Man I need to play that game again..
  • marelooke likes this

soulcycle

soulcycle

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members.
  • 12 posts

Skyrim > entering Blackreach

Dark Souls > Ash Lake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users