Best moments in a game

LittleRose

I like how normies is itself such an outdated concept on the internet. It's proper old***. (I self censored that btw, give me internet points for much consideration.)

I think internet culture shifting from mostly university professionals and enthusiasts, to mostly kids with free-time still working out their behavioral issues is mostly why the internet started to such so much. Eternal September and all that. This forum is oddly reminiscent of the older days to be honest.

I don't think so, I was using internet on high school (old days of first counter strike) as most of my classmates and it was much more... familiar? It was days when you didn't needed ad block, corporations where not all over the place and oversensitive people were still mocked and not in power.

Well, I think the stakes weren't as high. Once the discourse in games was poisoned, then it just became the water people swam in. I remember looking up to older players in CS when I was young. Now it's common to have little ****s spazz out in a server where there is no admin to boot them. Rip private servers and all that. I think self-monitoring of the web early on also really helped stave off the tragedy of the commons so to speak. Plus the average person was slightly fearful and reverent towards the internet, now it's primordial nether to act out in.

But yea, corporations have contributed a lot to the shift.

• Like 1

"A slave obeys" -- was spoiled on this one, yet it still was so very powerful;

Replayed Bioshock recently and while it's still a great game, this particular moment is entirely ruined by the game going "Oh here, have another objective" right after the fact

Roberta Williams was probably on to something.

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, than they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.3

Ah right, a source of some kind would be good. https://web.archive.org/web/19991127225719/http://www.gamersdepot.com/interview_roberta_a.htm

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Roberta Williams was probably on to something.

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, than they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.3

I don't know about that. Today we might have a chuckle at the idea that a collection of polygons in their underwear dry-humping each other is a realistic take on intimacy, but damned if I could say that FMV rape scene in the first Phantasmagoria, which I only experienced through a Giant Bomb let's play (paywall), is an improvement.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Well, hell is other people, so the more people present, the worse something always becomes :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back in New Vegas, when you met Caesar, that time when you get to see his ideals, his ideolgy, and how he is NOT a cartoon villain/mind controlled/big bad dragon character, he is a human being, his methods are brutal and cruel, but he does that for a reason. At that point( I did not play the classic Fallout until I finished NV) I saw how NV was and still is an amazing, well written game, if only Tim Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and Eric Fenstermaker could team up and make TOW2... or a new Fa... something :skeptical:

• Like 1

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• 2 weeks later...