Best moments in a game

LittleRose

X labs from Stalker: SoC. Also, rather surprisingly, the endings.

The mid game cutscene from System Shock 2.

The mid game cutscene from Bioshock.

The 'ski jump' in System Shock. I was pretty impressed with myself making it then cue 'nice jump, human' and an ambush by a bunch of security droids. Got trolled by an AI, guess that automatically passes the Turing Test.

The music from Outcast was perfect

I think only the System Shock one actually counts as a moment though.

• Like 1

Once again, she gives it her all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In Medieval 2: Total War, when I held off several stacks of the Mongol Horde with my Norman/Sicilian/Turcopole/Crusader army (severely lacking in Knights and heavy cavalry) on the banks of the Jordan by the skin of my teeth, after recently completing my conquest of the Holy Land. Of course a few turns later, I was finished off by the heathens.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I really liked the bit in SR3 where you're just driving around in a car with Pierce while singing together (badly). Games often struggle to convey the idea of friendship between characters, and this little scene managed that perfectly.

For an actual gameplay thing, killing Ragnaros for the first time in vanilla WoW would certainly qualify, way back in September 2005 if I remember right. By the end of that fight my hands were shaking so much that I could be mistaken for a Parkinson's sufferer. What made it sweeter is managing to pull off a ninja jumper-cable resurrection on a healer by vanishing and switching trinkets midfight.

Other memorable moments:

- Being exploded into pieces by Beren in Ultima 8. As a sheltered kid, I'd never seen that level of violence in a videogame before. The feeling when I managed to exact my revenge by recreating this method of drowning him filled me with warm fuzzies. (To this day I'm still pretty uncomfortable with all that blood and gore stuff. A few years later I was similarly shocked by Fallout's default level of violence, and proceeded to turn it down to the minimum setting.)

- Wing Commander 4 FMV. Technically my first FMV game was probably Return to Zork (bundled with a Sound Blaster), and I suppose Rebel Assault sort of had it (same), but I never had a PC able to run WC3 until after the next game was released. Seeing the opening cutscene for the first time was an amazing experience. "Multimedia" PC had been a buzzword for some time before that, but this for me was what finally delivered on the concept. (Shame about the missiles, after a while I ended up just turning invulnerability on and finishing the game that way)

- Winding back even further, I remember struggling to play SimFarm on a 286. It chugged, and the graphics were significantly compromised on an EGA graphics card. Then my dad got a DX2 486 laptop (supposedly a work laptop), and I was amazed at the difference it made running the game. Sure, the laptop's trackball is awful, and the screen was a DSTN monochrome panel, but never mind that, it was amazing all the same. There was a time in my life where SimFarm was my favourite game of all time, so it was a big deal in context.

• Like 5

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Not intentionally, just a result of old age, my favourite moments might be from games people don't know (or only read/heard about).

Memorable moments: Beating Demogorgon in the 'The Forbidden Forest' (one of those games where the total is greater than the sum of it's parts, just a perfectly timed build up of pace and increasingly spooky atmosphere).

Finally beating Doomdark in Lords of Midnight (Mike Singleton was a bloody genious, still for me the best combination of roleplay, strategy and exploration only rivalled by 'Elite').

Speaking of which, reaching Elite status in 'Elite'. Take that you filthy Thargoids.

Finally bringing the Amulet of Yendor back to the surface in Rogue.

Last but not least, the warm and fuzzy feeling when my brother and I made it to level 99 in Bubble Bobble. No, we didn't beat it (didn't make it past level 100), but damn we had a blast.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How's this for old, something someone said earlier reminded me of this game called... kingdom?  It was all text, but you had to decide on how much grain to save and how much to plant and balance it against the population.  We're talking 80's here, if not 70s.  Temple of Apshai.  Sundog.  M.U.L.E.  Ultime I-IV.  Best moments in games wouldn't even have made sense to my younger self.  There wasn't one long experience.  There was sheer pleasure at something that was, between the late 70s and throughout the 80s, this novel thing called computer gaming.  Hell, I remember my swinehearted brother in law made a living working on arcade games and, even though he was a real bastard, he rigged up space invaders for unlimited plays.  I wouldn't give Space Invaders a second look if someone released it now, but back then it was the bomb.  On the other hand, I've been playing this game called disturbed, a free to play 'graphics' adventure game, and those text (or text with really primitive graphics) games still appeal to me.  Time to pull out a Mind Forever Voyaging if I could just find it and play that one again.  Tried to get my lady friend to enjoy Zork, but it just wasn't meant to be.

I really liked the bit in SR3 where you're just driving around in a car with Pierce while singing together (badly). Games often struggle to convey the idea of friendship between characters, and this little scene managed that perfectly.

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in games in general.  I look the clip up on YouTube occasionally just to revisit the moment.  Although they drive the scene better than I did. lol.

There's a scene in SAINTS ROW 2 that really transcended for me, when The Boss is drugged and the Sons of Samedi kidnap them/attack the base.  The character I was playing, plus the voice set I'd chosen made the scenario attack both gripping and daft at the same time.  You weaving around on drugs shooting up badguys before finally tripping over  a couch after the fight.  It sealed me as a fan of the game.  Truly hated they changed the voice sets in SRIV since the one I was using wasn't there anymore.

On a totally different note, when I played Dragon's Dogma I spent a lot of time exploring.  I loved going out at night with a lamp on and how it changed the ambience.  But one thing is I saw walking around a waterfall - games had taught me that secret stuff can be hidden behind them, so I walked up and...there was a cave that led to a temple. Wandering around the temple I got into a fight with a cyclops.  Couldn't get far because I hadn't even gotten the quest to go to the temple yet.  But it really made the exploration work for me, finding that cave and that cyclops.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

tassadar sacrifice at the end o' starcraft were kinda memorable for Gromnir.  not on par with the mebbeth incarnation o' ravel's coda, but worthy o' mention.

y'know, our actual best gaming moment might be when we downloaded a patch for mechwarrior: mercenaries to correct a bug that were preventing us from progressing.  message boards and developer responses were a bit slower back in those days, so we spent considerable game hours trying to figure out what we were doing wrong 'fore we realized that our failure to rendezvous with a dropship were the result o' a bug.  being actual to progress after literal wasting more than a dozen hours on a sisyphean task, followed by a week (or two?) waiting for a hotfix, were likely our bestest game moment.

HA! Good Fun!

ps honorable mention for troika as no developer has so consistant had our best gaming moment for their titles existing immediate before playing the games.  so many great concepts ruined by poor execution.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

When you finally get to the moon and it isn't what you expected at all. A green field with a tree in the middle and children playing?

Red Dead Redemption

John Marston's death.

BioShock 2

Seeing through the eyes of a little sister

Dead Rising 2

The end, when you drop the bad guy from the ledge "you gotta risk a little if you wanna...",  "Win Big?!"

Fallout 2

Hey Lloyd, catch!

Bloodborne

The ending of The Old Hunters DLC was amazing: " A bottomless curse, a bottomless sea, accepting all that there is and can be."

Demon's Souls

Maiden Astrea Boss Fight. When you kill her beloved and she commits suicide.

Battlefield: Bad Company

When you steal the gold at the end of the game.

Fallout: New Vegas

Trying to find out who courier 6 is and the eventual encounter with him in Lonesome Road

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

When/if you open the sarcophagus.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Well, someone has to be first :-P

FFVII. Seeing Aerith's death after I spent so much time with her was for me (and still is) the most shocking experience, I have ever had in gaming.

FFX: The ending of the game, was the first time and only time, when I was unable to hold my mantear :-)

PST: Knowing for the first time, what was really written on my scarred back, and following discusion with Morte :-D

BG2: Fight with Kangaxx the Demilich I had no internet at that time, and I had no chance to get some hints how to defeat him. After 6 hours of trying different approaches, including using spell Wish, to summon 100 Rabbits, I was finally able to defeat him.

Gran Turismo 5: Vettel Challenges. I still miss the gold for Suzuka, but degwating the gold time at the Nurburgring after 4 hours of trying was for me the best momemt in racing game so far.

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in games in general.  I look the clip up on YouTube occasionally just to revisit the moment.  Although they drive the scene better than I did. lol.

There's a scene in SAINTS ROW 2 that really transcended for me, when The Boss is drugged and the Sons of Samedi kidnap them/attack the base.  The character I was playing, plus the voice set I'd chosen made the scenario attack both gripping and daft at the same time.  You weaving around on drugs shooting up badguys before finally tripping over  a couch after the fight.  It sealed me as a fan of the game.  Truly hated they changed the voice sets in SRIV since the one I was using wasn't there anymore.

On a totally different note, when I played Dragon's Dogma I spent a lot of time exploring.  I loved going out at night with a lamp on and how it changed the ambience.  But one thing is I saw walking around a waterfall - games had taught me that secret stuff can be hidden behind them, so I walked up and...there was a cave that led to a temple. Wandering around the temple I got into a fight with a cyclops.  Couldn't get far because I hadn't even gotten the quest to go to the temple yet.  But it really made the exploration work for me, finding that cave and that cyclops.

Ah, the Watergod's Altar.

I remember the first time I got jumped by a Chimera while minding my own business making my way to the Shadow Fort  (and actively avoiding the "big scary monsters" because I assumed they'd tear me to shreds). It was a fun fight (and I won) and got me hooked on the game (and hunting bigger and bigger baddies).

At one point in F.E.A.R. I was skulking around an empty office building where all the offices had glass walls when suddenly something seemed to be tossed through one of those, shattering the glass and almost giving me a heart attack (no enemies were involved, the building was and stayed empty). That was the first and only jump scare in the game and it worked so well *because* it was the only one as the rest of the game I was always on edge expecting more of that...

• Like 2

That's actually one of my favorite scenes in games in general. I look the clip up on YouTube occasionally just to revisit the moment. Although they drive the scene better than I did. lol.

There's a scene in SAINTS ROW 2 that really transcended for me, when The Boss is drugged and the Sons of Samedi kidnap them/attack the base. The character I was playing, plus the voice set I'd chosen made the scenario attack both gripping and daft at the same time. You weaving around on drugs shooting up badguys before finally tripping over a couch after the fight. It sealed me as a fan of the game. Truly hated they changed the voice sets in SRIV since the one I was using wasn't there anymore.

On a totally different note, when I played Dragon's Dogma I spent a lot of time exploring. I loved going out at night with a lamp on and how it changed the ambience. But one thing is I saw walking around a waterfall - games had taught me that secret stuff can be hidden behind them, so I walked up and...there was a cave that led to a temple. Wandering around the temple I got into a fight with a cyclops. Couldn't get far because I hadn't even gotten the quest to go to the temple yet. But it really made the exploration work for me, finding that cave and that cyclops.

Ah, the Watergod's Altar.

I remember the first time I got jumped by a Chimera while minding my own business making my way to the Shadow Fort (and actively avoiding the "big scary monsters" because I assumed they'd tear me to shreds). It was a fun fight (and I won) and got me hooked on the game (and hunting bigger and bigger baddies).

At one point in F.E.A.R. I was skulking around an empty office building where all the offices had glass walls when suddenly something seemed to be tossed through one of those, shattering the glass and almost giving me a heart attack (no enemies were involved, the building was and stayed empty). That was the first and only jump scare in the game and it worked so well *because* it was the only one as the rest of the game I was always on edge expecting more of that...

Hehe I lov d that part :) I'd have to say 2 more comes to mind when I think of that game.

1. When u go down the ladder and she's in ur face.

2. Right before u exit the sewers into the office and a cloak enemy jumps down and takes off in front of u. The rest of the level and onwards I was looking in every corner not wanting that sob to ambush me lol.

Man I need to play that game again..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Deionarra's interactions in PS:T. Especially the first one because that was what hooked me in the game. The first dragon encounter at the Western Watch Tower in Skyrim. I was using the deadly dragons mod and it was the first time I'd fought one. Later on... not a big deal. But the first one is always the best. Also in Skyrim the Dwemer ruin that starts the Atherial Crown quest where you meed the ghost. That was cool too. The Revan reveal... didn't see that coming. But my favorite was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dTyolNsZ8

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...

Silent Hill 2 when I heard the whispering in the blue creek apartments, thought I was hearing things so creepy.

Baldurs Gate beating Sarevok without using wands of summoning. Fought him melee.

Ocarina of time when the game freezes at the end with you and Zelda as children.

Morrowind having the freedom to break into any house having my own place to keep my loot all set up on tables.

Oblivion/Skyrim, killing the first innocent and getting the letter from the Dark Brotherhood, "we know".

Witch Wild Hunt, walking through the forest at night with just a torch, also besting Von Evevric in combat.

Silent Hill 4, the feeling of loneliness being locked in an apartment the only way out through an otherworld inhabited my horrifying creatures.

The fireworks at the end of every Mario level, I always wondered where they came from and who was firing them.

Edited by BrotherFerg

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

I think my favorite gaming moment is probably playing Morrowind for the first time. Just wandering around in the world and discovering stuff - artifacts, books, cool ruins with insanely dangerous creatures. Hadn't played anything like it at the time.

More recently, there have been tons of great moments when playing Crusader Kings 2. Starting as a count in France, marrying into a dukedom in Italy, becoming King of Italy, later breeding a line of Genius Emperors through carefully electing the best possible candidates among my sons. Man I love that game.

Edited by Thingolfin
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Didn't think it worth necroing a topic I created that last had someone post there close to three years ago, but I'm glad someone uploaded this blast from the past from Jane's Fleet Command onto Youtube:

"Vampires inbound! Birds affirm!"

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Witcher 2

When we fight final boss, and i am like "You know, at this point it dosnt matter or change anything, you had some good reasons thou, lets have a drink"

Witcher 3

When Keira Moritz got good ending. Thx for illusion gizmo girl.

Transistor

Every time the humming starts, this game was so preatty. The most romantic and subtle slasher ever

Mass Effect 2

When i could leave mercenary on his own. He dont really fit my save the world party.

Mass Effect 3

When Mordin had to do it alone, since that is the only way to be sure. The last flight of Tali or existencial crysis of Legion

Dragon Age Origins

The great battle, it havent gone as i expected. But the ogre kill animation was cool (havent seen anything like that before in VG)

Vampire: Bloodlines

Having to choose our favorite twin girl.

KOTOR

Revan Unmasked

Baldurs Gate 2

When Hydralisk scoundrel almost wooed Aerie out of my party. Havent expected that!

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 2

Threads like these remind me my memory is ****.

My latest greatest moment would be in Witcher 3 in the isle of mists, a scene from the books recreated, almost shed a tear. Also another about to cry moment after "the play's the thing" and the third one from the bad ending; so masterfully done; every line, every action speaks volumes, driving a spear through Geralt's and my hearth that's blackened by then..."maybe once, in a different time, I'd have helped..."

In one of ME3's indistinguishable ****ty endings; seeing Liara's smile in the flashes as Shopardo destroys the machine-thing...

Again in ME3; Wrex's sudden confrontation in Citadel was hilarious... it was so evil, soo comic-book evil, felt like a jerk but hilarious nonetheless. It was worth intentionally building up certain choices through the games to see dat scene that maybe less than 5% of the players could have seen.

*searching through memories*

In my first playthrough in Expeditions: Conquistador, my character's name was Joey Tribbiani and normal dialogues became hilarious jos cos NPCs says the name, so I decided to name my second character Chandler Bing in the second playthrough and in the first conversation one of the dialogue choices was "Does the name Bing ring a Bell?"

himnnn... yeah dat Revan thing for me too...

From DAO: the ultimate sacrifice ending and Alistair's speech before the final battle...and Ostagar battle cutscene.

In New Vegas; after following the intended path to the Strip, taking my time doing everything. getting done with Boulder City and finally heading to Strip... walking on i-95 north of Helios One, seeing no obstacles between me and the Strip then suddenly Victor appears out of no where threading alongside me towards the strip... the whole experience.

Listening chief Hanlon talk for 20 mins straight.

aand too much ram usage in my brain, need a restart.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I can't remember them all off the top of my head but here are a few I could think of:

Fallout 4

The Last Voyage of the USS Constitution

the only quest that I got a genuine enjoyment was from the USS Constitution help a bunch of ragtag robots get a ship operational so they can go to China and destroy all the communists.

At the end of the mission as they were starting to fire up the ship and saw it lift off I was think "You know they might actually make it to China". And then they crashes head on into a building. I laughed so ****ing hard at that.

Bioshock

Aside from the plot twist everybody pretty much knows by now .

Bill McDonagh

I felt so sad when I found him. McDonagh just wanted to try to make rapture a great place for everybody. Trying to reason with Ryan whenever he could.and then getting burned and having having his body displayed.

Pillars of Eternity

Animancy Hearing

When the animancy hearings were starting to wrap up, I felt like things were finally looking up. Then Thaos walks in and all I could think was "Oh no...". Walking around the streets as people are killing each other knowing nothing could be done to calm the situation. Trying to go back to the one person in the city who could help with the situation only to find her dead. Then having to leave the burning city behind you knowing there is nothing you can do but move forward.

Itumaak flying

I don't know if this is a common bug but sometimes when Itumak has either been hit or rendered unconscious his body floats and warps slowly flying off screen. That always gets a kick out of me.

Dragon age Origins

The battle of Ostigar

The entire set-up of the battle made me feel hyped. It reminded of the Battle of Helms Deep from Lord of the Rings. 

And then the stinging betrayal of Loghain.

Random screaming

Another hilarious bug I run into from time to time. The audio files will sometimes get jumbled typically with the companions of the game. Imagine just having a normal conversation with a companion and then suddenly they jump to a completely different topic. Or confessing your love to one of them and then suddenly they scream "DIE FIEND".

• Like 1