Best moments in a game

LittleRose

We all love games, especially RPGs. And we experience a lot of special moments in those games. Some are really epic, some are hilarious, some are even scary. So, let's share our best moments.

I have so many to tell, I'll split them up. There will be more stories after someone else has posted his.

Baldur's Gate II:

I was exploring the area around the Copper Coronet, when suddenly a peasant started a dialog. That pour guy had lost his ring. Yoshimo advised him to go back the way he came and search there.

I  just thought "You haven't, have you?" Yes, Yoshimo had the peasant's ring in his inventory.

Breath of Fire IV:

I was talking to some NPCs around, when one of them stated: "Me? I like digging holes." I figured I shouldn't walk too close to him, so I took a step back - and fell in a hole.

Dungeon Lords:

I never finished this one, but there was a wonderful moment that still makes me laugh when I think back. The floors in the old dungeons sometimes collapsed. So when I fought my way through the undead under the cemetery, I broke through the floor and landed among a bunch of rats. Caught in surprise, I just started slashing my sword at every critter until none moved anymore. Then it dawned on me, what that ment roleplay wise: My hero, who had just bravely fought her way through so many scary undead without batting an eye, was freaking out because of a few tiny rats. I laughed so hard, I had to pause the game.

Skyrim:

During the battle for Solitude I wanted to try one of the smaller doors in the wall. Maybe one of them was a way past the barricades, but of course they were locked. When I turned around to run back to the main battlefield, I was surrounded by enemies. No matter how many I struck down, more came out of a nearby door. That seemed to be it for me. But suddenly, someone knocked one of my foes down from behind. Ulfric Stormcloak himself had seen that I was in serious trouble, and came to my rescue. Side by side we fought our way back. That was such an awesome moment, I still love this game for it, despite its flaws.

• Like 3

Back when playing New Vegas for the first time I still had my Fallout 3 bias. It felt kinda boring and wonky and the technical issues I had with the sound didn't helped much either. Kinda forced me through Primm and was about to quit playing when I noticed the big statue in the distance. I've decided to walk over there, expecting some of that goofy Fo3 stuff that exists for lolz... but the closer I got, the atmosphere of the game somehow changed (big wasteland with no random mobs every 10 meters). When I arrived at the statue the music changed and I noticed this is a military checkpoint with trader and random people and Brahmin in PENS nearby... everything made sense and it was not one of them 3 people towns of Fallout 3... It hit me hard and I noticed this game really is different. It hooked me up completely and I am playing the game still today.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 4

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Too many to name really:

• Being eaten by a Grue for the first time, a hint at what games might become.
  • The graphics of Marsport, utterly stunning.
  • Completing the Quest of the Avatar, a monolithic satisfaction.
  • A passer by opening a set of windows in Trinsic, revealing my Avatar rifling through a store owners goods, and then giving me a good telling off for doing so. An open world still not bettered or even matched.
  • Forging the Black Sword.
  • Being mistaken for Deaths Hand by the Khans and walking away with Tandi Scot free.
  • Meeting and talking with Harold the mutant and then discovering how integral his story was to the plot of the game as I played through.
  • Arcanum, the revelation of who the antagonist was at the end of the game, which looking back was clearly signposted throughout if i'd paid more attention.
  • Torian Kel.
  • Torment, the first meeeting with Deionarra, and later her sensory stones revelation.
  • The confrontation with Ravel, and the sad return to the fading branching of her that is Mebbeth.
  • Walking around Kuldahar, in large part thanks to Mr Soule.
  • Almost every moment with Kreia in the Sith Lords.
  • Nolaloth in Neverwinter Nights 2, the Treeman in Mask of the Betrayer.
  • Alpha Protocol, my first meeting with Conrad Marburg in Rome, fraught with tension and revelation.
  • G22 and my first encounter with them in Taipei, managing to sneak a single bug into their network, despite all my others being detected.
  • The magnificent chessmaster ending to Alpha Protocol.
  • Finding where Jayne Kassynder murdered the last of the Tenth Legion in Dungeon Siege 3, and damned herself as well as the divine spark at the heart of the Mournweald.
  • New Vegas, Vault 11. This one area changed my whole conception of the game and its factions, the Legion might be cruel and repressive but the NCR were blindly stumbling down the same path as the pre war world, and that was infinitely worse. Previously I had supported the NCR out of pride in how it had transformed from Shady Sands due to my actions, when I walked out of that vault I decided any way was better than theirs.
  • The Witcher, almost all of this bawdy Chaucerish romp amused me, so nice to see vulgar humour and such a well realised world.
  • The Witcher 2, being pincushioned by Iorveth's Squirrels because I decided to be flippant, any other game would not have the balls to kill the player at that point and implement no punishment or impediment for the player. I laughed with delight at a game actually having a logical consequence rather than as usual over catering to the spoiled player.
  • Oh and of course almost all of the Lords of Midnight, tremendously ambitious and way ahead of its time, RIP Mr Singleton.
  • Etcetera.

Edit: I must add that there are too many moments to remember in Thief 1&2 where Garrett is hidden mere inches from an enemy who will no doubt kill him if discovered, only his supernatural Keeper shadowmastery and skills saving his hide. Sometimes I actually hold my breath while playing in such fraught circumstances, silly.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

There's been many games and many great moments, but yeah that scene really stuck with me as a young adult - your only home, burning beneath you.

Or the Kreia reveal in KOTOR2, man her whole story arch turned my perception of Star Wars and The Force on it's head. Great writing...

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

As promised, I'll add a few more now.

Skyrim:

A draugr climbed out of his grave, just to turn around again because he'd forgotten his sword in his casket.

Once I was attacked by a dragon on the open road. Nothing unusual so far, but as I was preparing for the fight, a highwayman addressed me. You know, life or money. He mocked me, because I just quickly tossed him a few coins without any attempt to resist. Then he, too, finally noticed the dragen. Boy, that khajiit could run.

The Realms of Arcania:

I'm not sure if it was part two or three, but imagine this. One of my characters lost a bit of charisma for a little while, because she'd stepped in dog's mess. That's what I call detailed.

In part two, Star Trail, I once accidently sold one of my hero's pants. I didn't even notice until I left the shop and a woman started shreeking.

Neverwinter Nights 2:

Shandra's death. She'd just stopped arguing all the time and opened up a bit, so I was growing attached to her. I told her murderer  to "stop right there, or I'll kill you right where you are!" It felt so good to have this option to express my feelings about her death in that moment. That he was her own grandfather, who didn't even know it was her, made things only worse.

My most hilarious moment in this game was when I finally found out, what the name these Gith called me meant. I'd already excpected to be a part of some prophecy again, but the meaning was so profane, I nearly fell of my chair because I was laughing so hard. You really got me there, Obsidian.

Mass Effect

Having to chose between two crew members was anything but easy. Especially if you have my nobody is left behind attitude.

Mass Effect 2

I'm not done with it yet, because I hate to fight three armies just on the way to the supermarket, so I needed a break from all that shooting for a while. But I think I will get back to it eventually, because I like the story so far.

Seriously? I have to work for Cerberus now? But I hate them with a passion. Oh well, at least I can send the human government a bit of evidence against them from time to time. So it's probably worth it.

Arcanum

Talking to the guy whose reincarnation I was supposed to be. Wait, if you're here, alive and well, there's got to be something wrong with this  prophecy

Arcanum also contains so many great ideas and quests. Like this experiment with the upbringing of a well educated half-orc and its tragic end. Or the option to sell my adventures to the local newspaper. And, of course, the Stillwater Giant quest, which is definitely one of my favorit quests ever.

• Like 1

The ending of Saints Row 4's Enter the Dominatrix DLC. I won't spoil it, but I will say that I was so happy I cried genuine tears of joy. Best damn video game ending ever.

• Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

is more than a couple best moment threads, and variations on the theme, having appeared on these boards and and the old ip boards.  our response has been largely unchanged since late 1999.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/61866-what-was-your-favourite-quest-in-an-rpg-why/?p=1258604

ravel's incarnations all provide memorable encounters, but the resolution o' the ravel story as it plays out in mebbeth's hut in ragpicker's square is our best moment in a game.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have many moments in games over the years.

Reading over the thread so far, I can observe two things that spring out at me straight away:

"West of House"

"[He] stared at the plates, his eyes flickering over the geometries upon them, then looked up and matched my gaze. His blade bent, shifted, until the shimmering I noticed before had become a silver glow. He seemed *stronger* somehow.

"*Know* that when death comes for you, *know* that I shall meet its blade with mine. *Know* that when all dies around you, *know* I shall live for your sake."

• Like 2

I remember reading Dieonnarra's sensory stone in PS:T as a gripping bit of writing. The whole journey to get just to that point, then have part of the story revealed was an intense moment. It was like any sublime literature--I was totally engrossed.

I've had many good experiences with games over the years, but that one came to mind first.

• Like 3

I couldn't really pick one moment of the Shadow of the Colossus because the entire game is gripping, but this fight.

Was really something. Especially the introduction cinematic of the colossus and its death. Gaius was impressive as well.

Its death is also rather emotionally striking.

Another thing that stuck with me was the way the game begins with an eagle's flight 

and ends the same way (skip to 22:44)

thereby symbolically closing the hero's journey, that ended with his death (and subsequent ressurection?)

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

for me the best moments in games are usually those unscripted ones that people call "emergent". they always impress me the most. off the top of my head I can't recall most of them, but one I got on video. I don't know if in this particular instance it was unscripted actually, but it caught me completely by surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcFLHJXi_Gg

I had a side-mission - to free several slaves - in a quarry, controlled by Uruks. it began as any other side-mission, but after a few moments I noticed that Uruks weren't attacking me for some reason, instead fighting someone else. it took me a moment to realize the slave workers rebelled against them triggered by me appearing there. at some point Uruks became overwhelmed and started running away. until then I had never seen either of these things happen

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

In ye olden days of Battlefield 2 when by chance you find yourself in a squad where everyone else is using mics, sticking together, and _co-operating_. I remember one time we flew in the weeds in a Blackhawk to covertly insert and seize the enemy airfield and singlehandedly turning the tide of the match. Then there are the times when you take off in an attack helicopter with a gunner who knows what he's doing and can routinely nail Havocs with the notoriously squirelly TV-guided missiles. Combined with my experience flying terrain masking in Enemy Engaged and together we topped the score chart by a _huge_ margin.

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I could wax poetic about P:ST, but that's not fair to the thread.  Why do I get the impression that Planescape has been the center of a lot of debates in these parts?  lol

More things that strike me:

Seeing daylight for the first time in Fallout 1.

Seeing daylight for the first time in Fallout 3.  Yeah yeah, haters gonna hate, but if there's one damned thing Bethsoft did right in FO3, it's coming out of the vault for the first time.

FO:NV.  What?  I need a specific point?  Go play the whole damned thing.

While we're at it, "War.  War never changes."

Then there's this one moment in that betrayer mask game obsidian did a long time ago where the PC can choose the 'good' path and bring eternal rest to the spirit priests that have been waiting for a only slightly less than eternity.  Since time doesn't exist, maybe even longer.

I've had such little 'time?'  'Entropy?'  ... to game over the past few years and yet I still look back on the experiences from gaming in the past.  Maybe, if I'm lucky, impossibly lucky, I'll find a moment where I help my NPC buddy unlock the mystery of interlocking disks my past incarnation has undoubtedly created with the sole purpose of enslaving and entrapping the poor bastard.  Then it won't matter what my previous selves did.  All that will matter is what I do now.

Come to think of it, even if I'm totally altruistic now, I'm sure I'll be a complete bastard again.  After all, bastards... bastards never change.

Edited by Dainalt

Any game where I can aggro enemies and lead them to friendly camps to be slaughtered.

That one time in Shadow Warrior when I jumped from a railing turned around and headshot a demon with a revolver and Lo Wang said nice...very meta.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Drake's Deception video

Wow, I almost wept a single manly tear and I don't even know who the hell these people are!

Seriously, I love clips you people put in here because it gives me ideas for possible purchases.  Of course, I find out that of the three posts with videos, only one of them is a PC title.  Then I really do shed a tear, but not just one and they ain't manly.

That DRake video totally makes me think of a daytime Soap Opera.

I'd agree except the acting's actually good in the Drake clip and generally horrible in soaps.  Not that I have much experience with soaps.  <.<

Edited by Dainalt

Two linked examples of the ambitious and convoluted narrative that the Legacy of Kain series provides, still some of my favourite moments in any medium:

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

When Yoshimo turned on me in BG2 and when I realized I was Revan in KotOR.  Both surprised me.  Also finishing Quest For Glory 4 was an amazing experience.  I had not internet to turn to for hints, so it was just me and my wits trying to solve puzzles.  Lastly, getting hit by a brick in the head no matter what direction I went in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.   

I'll name some later.

FONV

1. Starting with fo3 as my first fallout game, I had always killed house because I couldn't ever stomach killing this white knights. House always talked badly bout them but never cared, until I did quests for them and saw their ending slides. I had one of those moments where I was wrong and a ingame character was right. Been a house follower ever since.

2. Had guide, so thought I knew everything. Was playing a certain way where I wouldn't boost stats with temporary things and books. Recruiting prostitutes and couldn't get the ghoul because I couldn't hit any of the dialogue choices, and thought I'd have to fail it. Talked later but had a certain alcohol on me and she accepted.

3. Dead money, the whole damn part and especially leaving :(

Morrowind

1. Getting off the boat and looking around. Beautiful.

2. Finding out that the bad guys aren't actually bad and the good guys aren't good guys.