What You Did Today

Gorth

Dang...shot down suggesting my own evil twin name. Oh the humility...!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

First real snow arrived today, wich means my face has been in a perpetual  :biggrin:  all day long! I love snow, and now even more so, when I have a drivers licence and a real wheel drive car. Wheeeeeeeeeeee! FUN!

It's also amazing how many people around here don't know how to drive in the snow, I spent 15 minutes out of 60 just waiting for people to get moving.

All that said, I'm really considering buying new winter tyres, the previous owner bought winter tyres without studs in it, wich means they're worthless on ice and packed snow. I really hope I get my money soon.

Until then, WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You'd think people in Sweden were used to snow :)

To be fair, it's somewhat rare here in the south, but yeah, the ought to be more used to it. Was quite relaxing during the drive home since 90% of people on the road was doing ~70kmh when the speed limit was 100. There was'nt really any snow on the motorways either, since they've salted the roads in anticipation, but still people where scared.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well you clearly don't even know for sure where you name came from. "Most likely" derived from? Hogwash! :p

The name specifically comes from the back-up comic in Whiz Comics #2 (Feb. 1940) called 'Ibis the Invincible'.  This feature ran as a back-up to the 'Captain Marvel' (Shazam!) series for 155 issues of Whiz Comics (ending in 1953) and had an eponymous annual series for 6 issues (ending in 1948).   The story and character were reportedly inspired, in part, by Universal's 1932 film The Mummy.

This predates the 1940 start of the actual Universal Monster Films mummy, Kharis, in the film The Mummy's Hand.  For some additional trivia, the actor playing Kharis in The Mummy's Hand, Tim Tyler, while primarily known as a Western star, would go on a year later and star as Captain Marvel in Republic's 1941 serial The Adventures of Captain Marvel.  Another obvious inspiration was Lee Falk's Mandrake the Magician (first published June 11, 1934).

Anyhow, 'Ibis the Invincible' was Prince Amentep an heir to the Pharaoh who was overthrown by an evil magician empowered by Set.  Amentep had the Ibistick (a magical gift from Thoth) and saved his love, Taia, from being killed by the usurper's poison by putting her in suspended animation until the poison decayed and rendered impotent.  He did the same with himself and he woke up in the 1940s in a museum as a display piece.  He used his magic to escape and to save Taia again - as she had also woke up in a museum, but in war torn Europe. This being comic books, the pair took up a life fighting crime, Nazi's, Fifth columnists and supernatural entities that wanted to destroy the world.

The theory on the inspiration for the name (since neither creator, Bill Parker or Bill Kingett were around when fandom began investigating the origins of these characters) is that it derived from the four famous pharaohs named Amenhotep.  Ahmenhotep IV, rather famously, rejected the worship of Amun and is better known as Akhenaten - the pharaoh Egypt tried to erase from history and whose son eventually changed his name to Tutankhamen.  Given the enduring fascination the US had with Howard Carter's find of Tutankhamen's tomb (it is part of the reason the original idea for a movie called Cagliostro about an undying Count Cagliostro trying to reunite with his reincarnated love was changed to be about an ancient Egyptian Imhotep trying the same for Universal's 1932 The Mummy, thus bringing the connections somewhat full circle).  It is therefore considered very likely Amenhotep was used to base Amentep on given the public's familiarity of that time period's dynastic rulers and the other inspirations in the creation of the character.

But the exact reason why Amentep was picked for the prince's name is, sadly, lost to history.

• Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Had one of those slightly surreal experiences the day before yesterday. Many people will know, that simple chores is not something we spend a lot of thoughts on, our brains works out a plan and tells our body to go ahead and execute it. Funny situations occur when things get in the way and prevents your body from executing the "script" that the brain came up with. Was about to take out the rubbish when I got home from work and yes, it's one of those things you barely engage 3 brain cells to do. Thing is just, I made it halfway to the rubbish bin in my backyard when I stopped. Standing there for some very long moments with a dumb, uncomprehending look on my face before the brain pulled the manual override lever and asked my body why it had stopped. Turned out there was a large tree in my backyard that usually wasn't there. In fact, I was very sure there didn't used to be a tree between my backdoor and the rubbish bin at all. I put the rubbish down where I stood and walked back in again. That would be a task for another day :D

As it turned out, torrential rain and very strong winds had torn parts off a very large, old tree in the neighbours garden and it had fallen down, through the fence, on top of my backyard and was leaning up against the house wall and roof. It was just that bizarre realisation of how much we sometimes do without conscious thought that struck me as somewhat "enlightening" :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm not aware of any reoccurring villains from the series, but I haven't read all the issues...

I'm not aware of any reoccurring villains from the series, but I haven't read all the issues...

shouldn't an evil alt be difficult to spot? sure, spock can pull of the van dyke, but am thinking amentep photoshopping beards onto his movie starlets and using a vague egyptian nom de guerre might be a bit obvious, no?

go with something outta character.  GibberingMotha

mouther.jpg

alternative, take bart simpon's advice 'bout how "nobody suspects the butterfly." Fr.Flanagan?

boys%20town%201.jpg

nice hat.

dunno.  only alt we ever used were decided obvious... were back on the Co6 boards and in post we used alt, we also revealed self as Gromnir. were long time ago. karzak suggested it weren't possible to envision a skald bard raised in candlekeep, so we wrote an origin story o' such a character with alt of "storyteller."  used the alt a few times to pen mini stories. 

never saw much use for alts.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What? A bard raised at Candlekeep works perfectly fine: so many stories you could tell from the great library... Sure, the monks and such probably wouldn't have much of an interest in them (or maybe they would, having them retold in a very different manner from the dry history-keeping that they do), but not everybody who lives at Candlekeep was a monk and was familiar with everything kept within the library.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

What? A bard raised at Candlekeep works perfectly fine: so many stories you could tell from the great library... Sure, the monks and such probably wouldn't have much of an interest in them (or maybe they would, having them retold in a very different manner from the dry history-keeping that they do), but not everybody who lives at Candlekeep was a monk and was familiar with everything kept within the library.

skald.  illiterate.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What's the meaningful distinction here, o-so-friendly one? I'm not intimately familiar with the term, and from what I'm reading online, there doesn't seem to be so much of a difference that would make it any more difficult than the standard bard. The biggest thing seems to be that Skalds generally told of the deeds of someone current (their patron) instead of whatever a standard bard would tell of. Is that what you're getting at?

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

What's the meaningful distinction here, o-so-friendly-one? I'm not intimately familiar with the term, and from what I'm reading online, there doesn't seem to be so much of a difference that would make it any more difficult than the standard bard. The biggest thing seems to be that Skalds generally told of the deeds of someone current (their patron) instead of whatever a standard bard would tell of. Is that what you're getting at?

the 2e d&d kit made illiteracy an unalterable quality o' the skald.  the notion o' Gorion's Ward, raised in a library, could possible be illiterate offended karzak. unfathomable.  

shoulda' saved the story as it actual managed to shut karzak up for a bit.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I thought you were calling me illiterate for not knowing the exact difference between a bard and a skald.

Now I DO feel illiterate.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

I thought you were calling me illiterate for not knowing the exact difference between a bard and a skald.

Now I DO feel illiterate.

Isn't a Skald a viking bard? What's the difference? Do Skalds only play heavy metal and don't require consent to bed someone?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Being member number 666, I guess it's only fitting I get to write reply number 666 in this thread...

More forumite daily adventures here

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein