What You Did Today

Gorth

I'm going to turn the soil in the garden today. There is nothing growing there now. It's just waiting for spring. I have a project in mind this year that requires planting corn. So at least half the field is being dedicated to corn this spring.

"Knee high by the 4th of July".

Would this project involve a still? :lol:

• Like 2

I'm going to turn the soil in the garden today. There is nothing growing there now. It's just waiting for spring. I have a project in mind this year that requires planting corn. So at least half the field is being dedicated to corn this spring.

"Knee high by the 4th of July".

Would this project involve a still? :lol:

Since that kind of thing is frowned upon by the government of our supposedly "free" country I can neither confirm nor deny my project might involve the distillation of spirits. I will say, for the benefit of any government agency who monitors this board, that no product of my family farm will ever be sold for cash considerations other than vegetables.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Vacation journal, day 6: I feel myself going quite mad from the boredom...sights and sounds just on the edge of my perception. The NFL channel has been playing in the background for the last ~54 hours and there is no more internet that can possibly be clicked. I should buy a slip in the marina for my boat.

no good reason for gifted getting a boat... unless.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The new laptop I ordered has 5% battery wear out of the box, as long as it doesn't get worse I can live with that otherwise it will be time to call up and get a replacement shipped out so I can replace it.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Going to miss this week at work, absolutely nothing happened and 90% of the people downtown took the week off. Back to the usual over crowded hell next week

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well i've become very popular at the codex, someone even made an entire thread about me. I think they will ask me soon if I want to be a moderator. I've been thinking about that a lot and I know I am more than capable, I just don't know if they are ready for the ONE.

I've been learning a lot of new slang such as Cuck, Incline and SJW. There seems to be an overwhelming fear of the "Alts". I'm assuming an alt is much like a robot that penetrates the forum defenses and passes as a human user (or as you might better understand: a Synth).

Anyway I have been following my orders as an Obsidian informant and beat back those who criticize Pillars of Eternity. If I have an equal there.. they escape me.

This concludes my first report.

-the One

Edited by BrotherFerg
  • Like 3

Why does a chair have arms and legs like a man, but can't walk or hold things?

Since that kind of thing is frowned upon by the government of our supposedly "free" country I can neither confirm nor deny my project might involve the distillation of spirits. I will say, for the benefit of any government agency who monitors this board, that no product of my family farm will ever be sold for cash considerations other than vegetables.

I'm kind of torn about those laws, I can see both the good and the bad in it, but I'm pretty biased against it since my family would be drinking even more if they could make their own booze.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm kind of torn about those laws, I can see both the good and the bad in it, but I'm pretty biased against it since my family would be drinking even more if they could make their own booze.

Well making booze isn't hard. Making booze anyone would want to drink is another thing entirely. I am a fan of good bourbon. But good bourbon is aged in a charred oak barrel for at least seven years. Preferably 9 or more. That is ho it gets it color and flavor. Fresh made bourbon is clear and tastes just like moonshine. Because that's what it is. Being able to store the whiskey in a temperature controlled environment for the time it takes to age properly is the hard part. The making is easy. 

As for why moonshine is illegal, it's all about money. Excise taxes on liquor in the US is around $3 a liter. Beer is less than $0.50 per liter. So it doesn't hurt the government so much when you brew your own beer because most home brewers can only produce less than 5 gallons at a time. So at roughly 3.5 liters the total tax lost would be $1.25 give or take. Now five gallon of booze is a loss of $10 in uncollected taxes and that much 'shine goes a lot farther than the same amount of home brew beer. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well making booze isn't hard. Making booze anyone would want to drink is another thing entirely. I am a fan of good bourbon. But good bourbon is aged in a charred oak barrel for at least seven years. Preferably 9 or more. That is ho it gets it color and flavor. Fresh made bourbon is clear and tastes just like moonshine. Because that's what it is. Being able to store the whiskey in a temperature controlled environment for the time it takes to age properly is the hard part. The making is easy. 

As for why moonshine is illegal, it's all about money. Excise taxes on liquor in the US is around $3 a liter. Beer is less than $0.50 per liter. So it doesn't hurt the government so much when you brew your own beer because most home brewers can only produce less than 5 gallons at a time. So at roughly 3.5 liters the total tax lost would be $1.25 give or take. Now five gallon of booze is a loss of $10 in uncollected taxes and that much 'shine goes a lot farther than the same amount of home brew beer.

There was a time in the 90's when making your own booze was legal here in Sweden, a relative of mine had a still wich he used quite frequently, he did add herbs in it to make aquavit.

I guess that the time it'd take to age the booze would be somewhat frustrating, especially the first years. If one had enough space to keep it going though it'd make it a bit easier to bear I reckon. :p

Well, not only taxes, but tax expenditure aswell. Atleast here, where healthcare is paid for by taxes, but it does help curb alcohol consumption somewhat.

The biggest annoyance with "systembolaget" (The monopolized government controlled outlet for alcohol here in Sweden) is that the refuse to refridgerate their beers...

That's supposed to be a tax? 3$ per litre? For booze, we pay 517SEK per litre of alcohol (Wich means, 517SEK for 1 litre of 100% abv) that's about 60$ :p

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Whats "incline" mean in internet slang? I even checked urban dictionary and it means the same thing there as the normal usage of the word.

Codex uses that to indicate something defying the trend of everything being garbage these days.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i put my cat on the hood of my car. she started rolling around and started slipping until she fell off. her look of confusion was priceless

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Isn't at least a little bit of it about safety?  If people were just allowed to distill and sell unregulated, there would without a doubt be some unscrupulous a-holes selling wood alcohol as something fit for human consumption.

Isn't at least a little bit of it about safety?  If people were just allowed to distill and sell unregulated, there would without a doubt be some unscrupulous a-holes selling wood alcohol as something fit for human consumption.

The risk of getting wood alcohol is pretty small, since you have to distill booze from wood to actually get it. Those problems come from a-holes selling moonshine that has been diluted with other things, methylated spirits for instance. You'd have to be pretty callous to do that.

So yeah, it's a bit about safety aswell. But you don't get methanol from regular distilling.

Isnt there some kind of old-timey test you can perform on the distilled booze? Something like, light it on fire and if it burns yellow its no good, but if it burns blue its ok?

Nope, there isn't any reliable way really. You can only tell the difference from pure methanol to ethanol that way iirc, but if it's methanol diluted in ethanol you can't.

Edit;

http://www.ehow.com/how_8714279_test-alcohol-methanol.html

That sounds about right. :)

Edited by Azdeus

The risk of getting wood alcohol is pretty small, since you have to distill booze from wood to actually get it. Those problems come from a-holes selling moonshine that has been diluted with other things, methylated spirits for instance. You'd have to be pretty callous to do that.

So yeah, it's a bit about safety aswell. But you don't get methanol from regular distilling.

Yeah, I realize that.  Hence the part about unscrupulous a-holes doing it.  There are enough people who do horrible things that I'd think there'd be pretty regular cases of people selling contaminated booze.

Or maybe I'm just a terrible cynic.

Maybe she is desperate. :p

• Like 1