The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Gorth

Its not imbalance and not fair ? RP =//= EXP.

Single player games don't have to be perfectly balanced (and wouldn't be as interesting if they were). There's nothing wrong with different choices resulting in different amounts of XP as long as the game is playable.

Bloodlines comes to mind as an example of this as you could get significantly more experience with some builds than others but all of them were enjoyable despite that. I don't think all choices should be made equal and the game homogenized.

• Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hello everyone :

I have a question because I have doubt. 

In Tyranny there is 4 paths.

Graven Ashes

The voice of Nerat

Anarchist

Rebels

In the last patch :

• The Rebel player will no longer get multiple options to recruit factions out of sequence.

So, to clarify, only Anarchist path can visit the entire game ? (5 areas)

Its not imbalance and not fair ? RP =//= EXP.

I don't want to be obliged to have the most EXP.

I believe that in all cases you can visit all 5 regions. it's just a matter of dialogs, and order of the missions + perhaps conquest decisions

It's not that, you don't understand.

There is no reason to lock a region here. 

In the first acte there is a time constraint. Ok. But in act 2, why not visit all the areas like anarchy path ? It's nosense, with no reason to explain the difference.

I believe that in all cases you can visit all 5 regions. it's just a matter of dialogs, and order of the missions + perhaps conquest decisions

Its not the global tonality on internet. Most people repport :

4 regions = Graven ashes / Voices Nerat / rebels

5 regions = Anarchy.

Personnally, I agree with that, because, I never seen the burning library (Lethian OR flame library with Nerat and Tarki Arri)

Edited by theBalthazar

So? Different paths will take you different places. Personally I think that If you want to see everything then you should play the game again (or revert back to an old save and make different choices). I still don't see why you should be able to see everything in one go.

:shrugz:

• Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It's not that, you don't understand.

There is no reason to lock a region here. 

In the first acte there is a time constraint. Ok. But in act 2, why not visit all the areas like anarchy path ? It's nosense, with no reason to explain the difference.

Its not the global tonality on internet. Most people repport :

4 regions = Graven ashes / Voices Nerat / rebels

5 regions = Anarchy.

Personnally, I agree with that, because, I never seen the burning library (Lethian OR flame library with Nerat and Tarki Arri)

Not sure, I screwed up with Nerat as I took Lethian, and then instead of going to Library, i went to Blade region, you can always go to all Spire regions, BUT you need to go to Library, whenever it pops out as being available quest choice as it seems to pop out only in the first choices. Best is to go Library first time you have such option, then other regions are always available due to spires being located in them

So? Different paths will take you different places. Personally I think that If you want to see everything then you should play the game again (or revert back to an old save and make different choices). I still don't see why you should be able to see everything in one go.

:shrugz:

they will take you to same places, but you have different options there, plus they differ a lot based on your conquest choices.

So? Different paths will take you different places. 

You think with "Path".

I Think RP.

There is no reason for not be able to go at a place. If its close ? Ok. But here, visibly, there is no special trigger to justifie to not go here. (burning library).

Its just : the area is unlock. ....Ok. Right....

Arri know the place and don't reveal two informations at a time ? Lol...

Its more linear reason. = Outside RP = technical reason.

Edited by theBalthazar

Finished it today, I would love an expansion where I actually get to rule over the territory and I finally get to

meet the overlord

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

umm what do i do with the purple shards, discription says they improve magic, which sounds good.  

I picked them up again in my second playthrough and still found no use. I know they're quest items, I think specific to the Archon of Stone story.

Finished my run with the Rebels. 52 hours. Story, completely different. Even the places I'd been felt fresh. This game is a freakishly tight-knit triumph of replayability. Like, right now I want to go again, side with the Chorus and see how different is the narrative. The spell effects, alone, are worth it, and the sound design is Obs' best to date. 

All Stop. On Screen.

I discovered a bug with Sirin.

Sirin gain no exp with singing (stanzas), when she do damage overtime to ennemies (ennemy health = exp). I have check = no gain in lore, no gain in "performance"... She is good for the trash.

She do correct damage, but aspires exp. In PotD = not possible to take her on the long term.

Dear devs, I propose this mod :

Overtime damage of stanzas (in EXP) = (Lore / 2) + (Performance / 2)

Edited by theBalthazar

from Obsidian's official Twitter account

Vj2Uf574NTA.jpg

• Like 10
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I am, presumably, really close to finishing my first playthrough of Tyranny.  I control all the spires and

both the Archon of War and the Archon of Secrets have died at my feet.

Now it's time for me to

travel to the Bastard City to speak with Bleden Mark and Tunon

which, I'm guessing, begins the end game.

/rubs hands together

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finally finished it today after forcing myself through the game.

Pretty much the worst Obsidian game I've ever played. Has some interesting things (I really liked Tunon, but there's not enough of him, Sirin was pretty good too), but that's it. Everything else is sleep inducing and the combat was downright terrible with no depth whatsoever.

I loved PoE though, so here's to hoping PoE2 doesn't go down the drain now that the writer left.

Edited by mindswayer

I hate Unity.

I finished my first playthrough of Tyranny.  It took me about 32 hours, though that's likely significantly longer than the average because I play so slowly.  I liked the game a lot.  It's not my favorite Obsidian Entertainment game ever made, Alpha Protocol still holds that honor (that game was so f'n good), but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.  Hopefully we see an expansion in the future.

I would be remiss if I failed to do a comparison with Pillars.  It's not a completely fair comparison because I played Pillars when it first came out and didn't have companion AI, something the game does have now...  On the other hand, maybe it is a fair comparison sine I played Tyranny at launch too, who knows what improvements the game might get 3 months from now?  Anyway, I enjoyed Tyranny exponentially more than I did Pillars.  I thought the combat in both games was fairly meh.  Pillars had more strategic options with flanking and such, though I will give Tyranny points for some really cool animations.  Tyranny had a lot less combat, which is a MASSIVE plus in my book.  Also, I made the decision of turning the difficulty to Story Mode after a couple hours of playing and I am so glad I did.  I wasn't playing the game for the combat anyway, and Story Mode made combat take less time, which is a plus to me.  More importantly, by making combat fairly trivial, this removed all temptation for me to try to power game and make choices based on getting reactions that would help me get bonus abilities based on reputation.  Instead, I made all my choices based purely on role playing (role playing in a role playing game, who knew?).  I set a vision for my character and I made all my choices based on how she would have decided according to that vision.  I lived with the consequences of all my decisions, no matter how painful or detrimental, it was great.  I really enjoyed the power fantasy of playing a cog, albeit a powerful cog, in a great and powerful military and political machine, and I loved manipulating said machine to further my goals.

I thought both the world and the characters in Tyranny were more interesting than in Pillars.  The amount of detail that went into making the world of Pillars a living breathing place was impressive, but it never grabbed my attention the way the Tiers did.  Not all the characters in Tyranny were great, but there were enough compelling characters that I managed to form bonds and stay invested throughout.  To that end, I feel Tyranny's relative brevity, if you can call 32 hours brief, was a strong point.  I rarely have the patience to stay motivated through a game of such epic length as Pillars any more.  While Tyranny's last act felt rushed, overall I feel the game length was just right.  I feel like I got my money's worth and the game didn't outstay its welcome.

I am very likely going to play through Tyranny again at some point and make wildly different choices, but not for a while.  For now, my thirst for power has been sated.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I finished the game yesterday, for some reason I didn't get an achievement for finishing the game. I thought I ended up playing quite chaotically by killing everyone, or maybe I betrayed my alliance with Ashe too late?
Didn't get to see the The Burning Library so I think I did something wrong, I did get the option to go there but I opted it out to something else at that point.

I liked the writing, characters and the world building. I think that worked pretty well. You could see they were lacking resources when it comes to animations and art since you pretty much had only few different enemies to fight against. Unless it was a design choice to not have your typical fantasy enemies there. Though I would have cut the "talking heads", those were kinda of eye sore.

Overall I enjoyed myself, though for my 2nd playthrough I'm definately slapping on story mode. I can't be bothered to fight against all those trash mobs again to see how the story unfolds if I do things better/differently.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I think I messed up, wanted to play a very cunning fatebinder and work my way through by killing one archon, then having another taken by the law, and play more into Kyros servant, but probably should have played that differently, perhaps i was too fast with accusations, but still fun. Trying the "rebel" route seems a bit challenging, unlike the simple power grab when you go all the way against everyone with some silent supporters

I know it will sound like a heresy, but I would not mind some DLC already :p

Edited by Darkpriest

I finished the game yesterday, for some reason I didn't get an achievement for finishing the game.

Maybe because it wasn't an achievement? :p

"For you, the day Flouride finished your game was the most important day of your life, but for me, it was Tuesday."

• Like 1

Played a few hours into Act 2 on POTD, will reserve full thoughts until the end. 

Combat is garbage, but at least it will forever stand as a good example of why just sticking cooldowns as your primary system is stupid design. You just sit there and mash the shiny buttons when they become shiny, like a dog. 

UI is worse than POE, riddled with small annoyances even down to how selecting a character has to bump up all the vertical portraits because they didn't legislate for the nameplate. 

The setting definitely has potential, and early game has some nice moments where you do feel like the lawbringer of an overlord. Apparently that doesn't last, we will see. Act 1 was certainly enjoyable.

The names, jesus christ. Maybe it's a stylistic affinity thing? I thought people complaining about Duc and Fampyr were ridiculous given their clear historical and linguistic sense, but do I need to have read more American cartoons or are Graven Ashe and Bleden Mark the most idiotic 8-year old names possible? Might as well have named Tunon "Grimm Jack" and Nerat "Madd Fella". 

Edited by Tigranes
  • Like 1

The names, jesus christ. Maybe it's a stylistic affinity thing? [...] do I need to have read more American cartoons or are Graven Ashe and Bleden Mark the most idiotic 8-year old names possible? Might as well have named Tunon "Grimm Jack" and Nerat "Madd Fella".

Thank you! I said that in another thread and people were like "its just a name bro"! :lol:

you guys keep bringing up combat, but wasn't BG even worse in that respect? your fighters, rangers and rogues didn't have anything to do during combat, you would just pick a target for them to auto-attack (ok, positioning was somewhat important). at least now you can trigger an ability once per encounter (to be honest, I think making all abilities "once per rest" would solve a lot of issues) so not only your mages have something to do.

on the other hand, maybe that's why you don't like it? because in BG you only had to manage your priest and wizard spells, basically, so there was less busywork in combat, less micromanagement. 

I do like the way wizard and priest spells are handled in BG a lot more than in any other RTWP game I've played. it was always kind of fun to figure out which spells I wanted to be memorized between rests. I miss that feeling with PoE 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

There really aren't that many similarities between Baldur's Gate and Tyranny in terms of ruleset, except for the fact that both are Real Time with Pause. It basically only keeps the math of PoE but otherwise removes anything that made it feel like D&D. Pacing and encounter design feels pretty different too.