The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Gorth

OK update I finished. It still owns but it was a little annoying that my planned rebel alliance run got subverted into NO GODS NO MASTERS when my allies were upset with my life choices. Specifically, my bias against

infanticide

Now doing a Path of the Damned Scarlet Chorus full plate run, because it was kind of annoying having all that heavy armour and no one to wear it.

EDIT: Oh right, that's how they do spoilers on this board, well that's dumb.

Edited by Chairchucker

Don't know if this is the right place for a Tyranny post, but here goes...

I've just bought the game, so I haven't seem much yet, but here's what's standing out already:

The selling point for Tyranny is that there's no cheesy "Good vs Evil" plot, right? You play a morally grey Fatebinder who must make decisions with no clear right answers. Sounds good so far. But then you have the two factions, the Scarlet Chorus and the Disfavored, who sort of represent "Chaos vs. Order" (and virtually ever in-game decision seems to affect your reputation with these groups) Now, okay, Chaos vs. Order might be a little more interesting than Good vs Evil, because both can be toxic is large amounts. Too much Chaos, and you get a savage world where the strong bully the weak. Too much Order, and you get a totalitarian society where people have no freedom.

However, it kind of disappoints me that they abandon the old Good vs Evil dynamic just to put in another blatantly obvious BINARY system.

We went from this:

A mongrel accosts your hero in the street. What will you do?

a) Save the dog (good)

b) Kick the dog (evil)

To this:

A mongrel accosts your hero in the street. What will you do?

a) Slay the foul beastie for the glory of Group A!

b) Recruit the foul beastie for the prosperity of Group B!

It's still just a blatantly obvious binary system! Is this really progress? What do you guys think?

Edited by Heijoushin

Man, what would people do without YouTube?

Use their brain?

we can't all be smart like you 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If you think the entire game is just choosing between the Scarlet Chorus and the Disfavored, then you're jumping to conclusions terribly early.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Worked for Moorc*ck (I detest this filter,) though he also had the balance and the state of metaphysical freedom that Tanelorn/the Grail represented.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm playing PotD and it feels harder to me than PoE was on PotD, but I suspect that's mostly because I don't know what I'm doing yet, and I'm playing spoiler-free.  The challenge is just about right for me right now, which is nice, but I'm not sure that'll hold for repeated plays.

Combat gets a little better as you go along and gain more abilities, but... it still feels like they oversimplified it.  Maybe a mod to bring back FF and flanking would help here.

I'm liking the setting, the writing, and the art.  It's a well imagined world, and they did a nice job of capturing the "feel" of a world in this situation.  Obsidian seems to do writing and art really well.

Missing my other two party members :p

there's nothing we can do about this but help him out with the puzzles.

Yes! 

blaming designers for our shortcomings  :thumbsup:

I only blame the designers for the combat encounters and dungeon layout. like I said, I didn't see the door because it was behind the Fog of War and the only way of spotting it was by accident. naturally, without knowing there were other doors on that level I thought I didn't solve the "puzzle" correctly.

Doesn't matter now, since I won't be playing Tyranny any more. 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Ran into another bug and can't complete the Language of the Ancients quest at the Burning Library. I've done everything and the quest says to return to the quest giver and after I go through the convo nothing happens, quest doesn't update or complete.

Free games updated 3/4/21

The color puzzles? Different colors activate different switches. You can just try them all since there is never more than 3 (4 for the very last puzzle) colors except for the ones what want the torchkeys from other dungeons but even then it's still SSDD and even then it's extra areas and side quests

PS the ones that require multiple colors in a certain order also give hints on some loot drops but even here you can just try all combos

Colour based puzzles? Does that mean game over for colour-impaired people like me?

nah, each color has a glyph associated with it, and when you set the right one you will be notified by a visual or sound cue that it did something

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

The color puzzles? Different colors activate different switches. You can just try them all since there is never more than 3 (4 for the very last puzzle) colors except for the ones what want the torchkeys from other dungeons but even then it's still SSDD and even then it's extra areas and side quests

PS the ones that require multiple colors in a certain order also give hints on some loot drops but even here you can just try all combos

Colour based puzzles? Does that mean game over for colour-impaired people like me?

There is a color-blind mode in the options.

• Like 1

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

So Kyros is a woman, that explains why everything seems like a feminist post-utopia.

Not exactly.

Yeah got to that part now, looks like joked too soon.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Vague, but putting in spoilers just to be nice.

I'm pretty sure that burned a bridge with my ally. Or napalmed that bridge. Or nuked it, would that be more accurate? Fascinating how much damage can be done with a pillow.

...can you execute her in a sufficiently painful and messy way for her insolence?

You can do something far worse to her.

Talk to her about SJW issues? :-O That's cruel indeed!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Vague, but putting in spoilers just to be nice.

I'm pretty sure that burned a bridge with my ally. Or napalmed that bridge. Or nuked it, would that be more accurate? Fascinating how much damage can be done with a pillow.

I was so into my lawful evil playthrough that I didn't even flinch when I had to do that - more like resignated scoff. 'How selfish' I thought... oh well, better make it right.

Fortune favors the bald.

They fixed the trading cards and now I have 3 Bariks.

Speak up if you want to trade, because I'm selling my duplicates tomorrow.

A warewolf joined my party, or 'beastman', whatevs. They made the mistake of telling the voice actor to try and sound like an animal, and I'm getting a kid's TV vibe rather than scary supernatural beast. It's also a bit weird to hear her use terms like 'Alpha' and 'Beta'. It's breaking the fourth wall. She could have said 'leader' instead of 'Alpha', she isn't supposed to know  terms used in behavioral studies of animal packs. 

Other than that, having a blast. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.