The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Gorth

Goddamnit Obsidian. Why did you have to ruin this game's rather nice pace by shoving a bunch of unbelievably boring combat in area after area in Act II? The game has officially turned into a slog. Sigh.

I got to play Tyranny for 1 day, got to Act 2, and I have to agree with you, it's just trash fight after trash fight. same enemies again and again, I must've fought the "1 red bane + two blue banes"  variation in the wisp dungeon 20 times. who the hell designed this ****?

and then I got stuck in that dungeon, because I just can't get into the mind state of the person who designed these puzzles. I can't figure out how to open all the doors, and the game may have ****ed me over on this one, since I don't have any other active quests even after going to every single area on the map and speaking to every single NPC. 

the game is over for me, good thing I didn't buy it, I would've been pissed AF if I had paid full price for it and then get stuck after 10 hours into the game.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

as for combat, it's definitely better than PoE in terms of combat mechanics. combos and abilities that are available once per encounter make the game flow better than, say, BG (where you have to rest after every serious encounter to replenish your party's spells).

I notice that I rarely have to rest in Tyranny (on Normal difficulty), but I don't know if that's a good thing, since it means most encounters are easily resolved without using 1/per rest combos (the most powerful ones). it begs the question: why have these encounters in the first place? game, force me to rest, force me to spend my camping supplies! I'm always capped at 8, it makes me sad.

the encounters themselves are terrible. I should've just set the game to Story difficulty and let combat resolve by itself. maybe this game would've benefited from having an auto-combat function where the game just simulates combat and presents you with the results.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The color puzzles? Different colors activate different switches. You can just try them all since there is never more than 3 (4 for the very last puzzle) colors except for the ones what want the torchkeys from other dungeons but even then it's still SSDD and even then it's extra areas and side quests

PS the ones that require multiple colors in a certain order also give hints on some loot drops but even here you can just try all combos

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

there are two issues with them.

I cannot find a shrine or a switch that opens this door:
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/143381638475949401/2797CF01FD0CD6D8E1F9C3AF204ABF5174D8A38B/

tried them all, all combinations of colors. at this point I don't even understand if the shrines only open doors by themselves or if there's a combination (spanning across two main areas even?) that has to be set on them for some doors to open.

second issue has to do with other areas of the map, which are completely empty. I've ran out of places to visit, and I know for a fact there is at least one other place I need to go to to get the fourth torchkey for this dungeon: some Twin-Rivers Oldwalls place I don't know anything about, it's not on the map, so I can't get the artifact in this dungeon and finish this quest.

I probably spent an hour running around this empty dungeon changing colors on the shrines, then another hour running around populated ares looking for named NPCs to talk to

Walsingham said:

to be honest, combat is its weakest point. I'd rather have it turn based, but w/e

Based on the fact that I loved the RTWP combat of the Infinity Engine games, but hated PoE's torturous implementation of it, I'm not sure if it's necessarily a fault of the fact that it's RTWP...and in fact, I feel as though, if combat rules were still mostly the same, making it turn-based would not help matters at all.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I agree completely, making it turn based would've made the game unbearable. just try fighting against 5+ enemies in slow mode and see how long it takes you.

Walsingham said:

snip

I'm not sure what's going on in that picture but there are only 2 things you have to do in this dungeon. 

Get the pin artifact thingy on the first level and claim the spire and that's the exit at the top of the screen

http://tyranny.wiki.fextralife.com/Ocean+Spire

I can't get the artifact because releasing the dungeon boss requires a torchkey from another dungeon that I don't have on my map :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/TyrannyGame/comments/5cmpjf/stuck_in_the_story_spoilers/

this is exactly my situation, basically

Walsingham said:

I can't get the artifact because releasing the dungeon boss requires a torchkey from another dungeon that I don't have on my map :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/TyrannyGame/comments/5cmpjf/stuck_in_the_story_spoilers/

this is exactly my situation, basically

I'm pretty sure that I did it in the order you did too

Double checked and confirmed I did it in the same order

Edited by ShadySands

Either I've encountered a bug or something is poorly explained. One of Siren's songs is simply not available. It's the level 9 defensive song. She's level 10, almost 11. I swear I had it earlier.

Checking her talents, it doesn't have the gold border. This stinks because I have her using the defensive tree and have the talents for expanded radius on defensive songs.

I think I saw a post about this on the Reddit sub from another player. Edit found it, but his was even worse: https://www.reddit.com/r/TyrannyGame/comments/5cypzf/bugsirins_songs_not_working_correctly/

Already reported on Paradox, seems repro is done: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/bug-sirin-looses-active-songs-when-removed-from-the-party.982399/

Don't drop her from party.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My party is level 7 now. I have me (mage), Eb (mage), verse (archer) and Barik (tank). So its one tank and 3 glass cannons.

On the first map my mage (Warmage, life + lightning) needed to drink some potions and I thought: "This game seems much harder than PoE, I never used potions or food in PoE."

Then I got to the camps and had a full party. Once I had a tank, everything was very easy. Use buffs, send Barik first and the others shoot from the distance. Right after the end of chapter 1 I went to the other village. On the way there I came to a bridge and people wanted money for crossing a bridge. This bridge battle was the hardest so far (I was level 4 or 5 and had to use potions), but it was not really hard.

At first battles were boring because I only had auto attacks and I waited for the cooldown of my spells to end. Now my mages have so many skills that they can cast something all the time. My quick slots are filled with the spells I use most (buff, heal, damage+CC), but I got much more and most of them I never use because I have to press pause and look through several menus to see if something useful has no cooldown. I think the UI of PoE was much better, especially for casters with tons of spells.

There are just so many sources you can get skills from (skill tree, sigils, party members, reputation)

The story and setting is great, but combat feels slow and boring.

I do not understand why Tyranny has higher system requirements than PoE. I have played PST a short time ago. Both games are very similar (great story and setting, lots of reading including "lore dumping" but not so fantastic combat. The graphics of PST were more than enough for me. I play a story driven 2D isometric RPG, not a cinematic 3D action game.

Edit: I play Tyranny on normal difficulty. When playing a game for the first time I always use normal. I have finished PoE on normal and hard (which was not so hard at all). I will not play PotD. I play games mostly for the story, not to have the ultimate challenge. I do not mind optional super hard bosses (killed some of them in some games, but lots of them were too hard).

Edited by Madscientist

Normal speed with auto-pauses set up. When I figured the combat is excruciatingly slow, I switched to fast mode and auto-pause options set up - turns out this just meant it became half as excruciatingly slow, which is progress I suppose. Then I disabled auto-pause options. Then I quit putting any amount of effort into alpha striking and pre-combat positioning to speed things up. The combat is almost challenging now that I'm not even trying, but it's still not good sadly.

Real-time strategy games are among my favorite genres, so I suppose there's some overlap there.

Edited by Fenixp

I played on PotD (which I found easier than PoE) on normal speed. However, I turned down the difficulty to Normal in Act II, not because it was Hard, but because each little meaningless combat situation took a small eternity to finish up.

I like the slower pace in combat because it's easier to get a sense of what's happening but unfortunately there is very little in the ways of challenge if  you like to be "hands-on" with the system (I turn off the party AI). It's just too easy, and takes way too long to boot.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Hey guys. I uploaded quick video showing how this game doesn't seem to have ever been playtested. I can't imagine this was intentional design to make game this piss poor easy on path of the damned difficulty? Obsidian are you guys for real? What happened??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELJ0MlEKrU

In video I used invis pot to make it that much more impactful but honestly you can get close enough with just stealth. Btw notice how villagers seem to "notice" me and run away and enemy is completely unaware. 

Edited by Phyriel

Double checked and confirmed I did it in the same order

I figured it out. The door I couldn't open before isn't supposed to open. There is another passage into the room with three shrines and the last keystone. It was probably open all along, I just didn't see that there was a doorway there due to its angle and the Fog of War.

Man, what would people do without YouTube?

Walsingham said:

Obsidian are you guys for real? What happened??

You didn't play many Obsidian games on release, did you? :-P

I played PoE and as much as I remember some broken things were a matter of some overtuned stats on some summons (chanter ghosts were quite op at start) or some niche synergy between items / skills that made them op (pre nerf retaliation cypher) but required intense theorycrafting and playtesting to find. In Tyranny i find everything extremely OP, buffs stack to insanity... I made this video showing just basic pre buff and 1 skill and its already awful. Imagine if I wanted to add high lore, aoe weapon buffs from fire, vigor, stone and lightning (thats what I can do atm) for like additional +xx% elemental dmg +XX armor pene +XX aoe on crits... now imagine I add trademark of Tyranny = combos and artifact skills... theres not even a shadow of a challenge in that game that would let me use all of this. Im terribly disappointed so far. Tyranny Potd feel like story mode in PoE, its extreme autopilot game. 

Edited by Phyriel

I dunno maybe I've been lucky with PoE that I didn't stumble upon any extreme opness in my first playthrough that would let me exploit the game to that degree. My memory toward my first playthrough was that I was getting wrecked on potd at every turn and I really had to brainstorm to finish the game which added to my sense of engagement, I really wanted to find a way to "be strong" there and it was a vital part of the game for me. Its sad because Tyranny got extreme eye candy to its name, skills and animations are just wonder, it really pleases the eye... but the scale of broken things and limitless synergies that are a) easy to find b) borderline OP... is just beyond reason. 

P.S I just made those high lore (200) elemental buffs for weapon... They don't suppress themselves at all and I just made Verse have 27 str (o_o) and with each hit she deals like +200% more extra dmg with elemental dmg + on crits she procs various bleeds, daze, aoe hits... god ill just stop talking about this cause damn its bad;p