The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Gorth

about kyros:

I am not a native english speaker. Assuming Kyros was female, would this make her an overlady or does the term "lord" not imply any gender?

I think "lady" sadly lacks the same measure of authority as I would say "lord" generally carries, which would make me opt for the latter even for women, personally. It's the same in regards to saying sir vs. ma'am in military settings - "sir" simply has a greater tone of respect and authority to it than ma'am, so that's what's typically used.

I also feel like I have heard "lord" used for women characters in other fictional settings, which probably has desensitized me to its use for such, but I can't remember where.

Funny, in my household Mrs carries far more authority than any title other than perhaps God Emperor of Man, and she doesn't even need super soldiers or a Golden Throne.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Different words in different settings have different connotations. Who knew? :p

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I have to ask: The silly throwing an archer up in the air to shoot down at opponents, what exactly does it do? The amount of gravity added will not boost the damage of the shot, accuracy will probably diminish, upon landing the archer will probably be disoriented if not hurt, the pull on the string may diminish because of not being able to brace with the feet. The only thing I can think of is to aim down at weak points in armour, but aiming while in mid air will obviously be far more difficult.

Is this a skill limited to characters of low intelligence? If so I applaud it of course.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I have to ask: The silly throwing an archer up in the air to shoot down at opponents, what exactly does it do? The amount of gravity added will not boost the damage of the shot, accuracy will probably diminish, upon landing the archer will probably be disoriented if not hurt, the pull on the string may diminish because of not being able to brace with the feet. The only thing I can think of is to aim down at weak points in armour, but aiming while in mid air will obviously be far more difficult.

Is this a skill limited to characters of low intelligence? If so I applaud it of course.

I think it might be part of the Legolas effect.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

They probably want this:

2H1gUPC.gif

• Like 2

All i'm asking for is some help in suspending disbelief from the developer, i'm not asking for any fantastic elements to be taken out of the game, merely that mundane elements are servicable (for instance a melee jumping attack would be more believable due to added momentum whereas the jumping missile attack does nothing,) mundane elements well presented will therefore serve to reinforce fantastic elements as they are so distinct from each other.

Sorry if I appeared overly dramartic, smug, superior and elitist, I was merely airing a complaint as a prospective buyer.

Tea for the teapot!

All i'm asking for is some help in suspending disbelief from the developer, i'm not asking for any fantastic elements to be taken out of the game, merely that mundane elements are servicable (for instance a melee jumping attack would be more believable due to added momentum whereas the jumping missile attack does nothing,) mundane elements well presented will therefore serve to reinforce fantastic elements as they are so distinct from each other.

Sorry if I appeared overly dramartic, smug, superior and elitist, I was merely airing a complaint as a prospective buyer.

That's okay, I just have a hard time seeing the Amazing Animu Archer as significantly worse than stuff like the "Sunder" ability ("I hit him with my greatsword so hard, his armor breaks... but only for 20 seconds, then it's fine again"), something nobody has complained about.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'm quite happy, I have a fine old single malt to assault, the smell of Mrs Noneks flapjack is drifting in from the kitchen, i've just devoured a toffee apple, Fido is lying on my feet and keeping them toasty while he chews on a femur and Elgar is on the wireless. Life doesn't get much better.

Edit: I have complained at the lack of and campaigned for armour degradation systems rather than status effects in numerous games, I was one of the few proponents of its inclusion in Poe for instance.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

That's okay, I just have a hard time seeing the Amazing Animu Archer as significantly worse than stuff like the "Sunder" ability ("I hit him with my greatsword so hard, his armor breaks... but only for 20 seconds, then it's fine again"), something nobody has complained about.

In technicality, no, it shouldn't be that much different...since both (and many more) are pretty absurd impossibilities...but in reality, the stuff that gets abstracted away that you don't really see (enemies losing AC or THAC0 as a result of various status effects, if we were playing Baldur's Gate, for example) is just that: abstracted away. You don't really see it, so it doesn't really occur to you that a whole lot of it doesn't make much sense...whereas characters clearly doing physically ridiculous and impossible things in front of your eyes is likely to be a much bigger issue for anyone really absorbed in the setting - at least, when there's no explanation given that we would find very plausible. For this particular example, Nonek...and I (based on the description of the action: I did not actually watch the video)...feel as though such just an action clearly steps over the line in keeping a setting grounded. Clearly, we and the developers are at odds here.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It's tough for me because I love magic in games (and IRL) and while I like my magic to be absurdly powerful I also like it to at least somewhat rare and limited/limiting. Something like in Shadowrun (tabletop not the vidya games) where there are tons of fantasical elements but those humans and metahumans able to actually wield magic are pretty rare and everything else is at least semi-grounded in reality or what we perceive as reality anyway 

Unfortunately for me there aren't many games like that so I just take what I can get 

Free games updated 3/4/21

They should remove bows and add guns. Problem solved because guns are cooler.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just watched the 'second-hour' video--not sure what to make of the 'maximize the minimap' mechanic. When it comes up, all treasure locations are marked. 

Probably not a lot different than hitting a highlight button, but seems kinda cheaty. Not a big deal.

All Stop. On Screen.

As far as I can tell, the treasure locations they showed were corpses on the ground. It simply saves loot that you'd already be able to see, so it's not like you get any information you normally wouldn't get.

Are you sure? There must be something there people can complain about! ( :p )