The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Gorth

The gem control mechanic reminds one of Dorian Hawkmoon and the black jewel which the sorceror scientists of Londra placed in his skull, from which they could spy on those he conversed with and eat his mind and soul at the first hint of treachery. I was wondering how they'd go about limiting and controlling her after reading the short story.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

"Sirin was designed to control and manipulate the flow of battle by afflicting her foes with terrible sicknesses of the mind and body. Sirin’s power as an Archon grants her the unique ability to influence others with song (Those who played Pillars of Eternity’s Chanter class will be familiar with her mechanics). In combat, she will passively sing, causing minor blights and hindrances to foes that hear her voice, as well as subtle benefits to her allies."

Is she voiced by Rebecca Black?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Probably not as the blights are just minor.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This is cool - I remember a while back there was speculation that Tyranny might not be available DRM-free on GOG.  But looks like it is after all.

Bigtime ​kudos to whatever combination of Obsidian and Paradox made that call.  (Of course, it wasn't the evil choice... but was pretty important to a lot of us, witness, a seriously huge thread on another forum about it).

• Like 1

I feel pretty confident or maybe partially deluded that Brian let slip in a stream last month there is at least one more secret NPC companion.

The official Twitter account also hints at that: https://twitter.com/TyrannyGame/status/793499989582438400

I got an e-mail from Amazon today telling me the game has been delayed to the 15th. I assume this is just for the retail version.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I feel pretty confident or maybe partially deluded that Brian let slip in a stream last month there is at least one more secret NPC companion.

Speculation on the official forum is that we will be able to rebuild Cairn like we rebuilt HK-47 in KOTOR 2. Make of that what you will.

How many companions do we know of?

Six. Verse, Barik, Lantry, Eb, Kills-In-Shadow, Sirin.

Which one is the cutie pie?

I'm asking for Hoonding.

I'm still crossing my fingers that Kyros is a some sort of otherdimensional monstrosity.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That would be hilarious if

you are Kyros all along

I wouldn't hate it if it turned out the player was an aspect of Kyros. A piece split off to explore her empire.

Amnesia, on the other hand, "hilarious" is not the word I would use.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Not sure why I spoiler tagged that as KOTOR has been out for over a decade

That would be hilarious if

you are Kyros all along

I wouldn't hate it if it turned out the player was an aspect of Kyros. A piece split off to explore her empire.

Amnesia, on the other hand, "hilarious" is not the word I would use.

I like that aspect idea and amnesia doesn't really make sense anyway from what we already know

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm okay with the idea of the player just being a normal person who rose through the rank because they're pretty good, but my impression is that the story won't go in that direction because of the events hinted at Ascension Hall and the Fatebinder's apparent affinity with the Spires.

P.S. : I'm not entirely sure I approve of the idea of going back to the well of ancient civilizations again. It doesn't even feel like the cliché fits Tyranny's setting. But who knows, maybe they'll make it work, I think the take on that well-worn idea in Pillars of Eternity was executed pretty well.

about kyros:

I am not a native english speaker. Assuming Kyros was female, would this make her an overlady or does the term "lord" not imply any gender?

I have my own theory about kyros:

There was an ancient god. Before his (her, its, whatever) death, he casted a curse on a human. The human got godlike powers, but the curse forces him to conquer the world and he must not show himself or tell anyone about himself or the curse. If he is killed or if he acts against the curse, the curse goes on to another victim and the soul of the former kyros will suffer forever in hell. Once the entire world is conquered, the curse is fulfilled, the last kyros will die and the ancient god will be reborn to rule over the entire world forever. (no need to hide anything anymore then. It is a mad creature that brings chaos, death and destruction just because it is evil)

PS: how to make a spoiler box? Once I saw the option somewhere, but I do not find it anymore.

Edit: Thanks Raithe

Edited by Madscientist

I'm still sceptical about the game, but it was fun watching Day9 playing it (where he literally wets himself at the end, hours into the game). :)

However, I hit a big snag when it comes to the release date of Tyranny: It's the same as a pre-ordered Dishonored 2, and being a huge fan of Dishonored and Civ6, I simply don't have enough time to play it all.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

about kyros:

I am not a native english speaker. Assuming Kyros was female, would this make her an overlady or does the term "lord" not imply any gender?

I think "lady" sadly lacks the same measure of authority as I would say "lord" generally carries, which would make me opt for the latter even for women, personally. It's the same in regards to saying sir vs. ma'am in military settings - "sir" simply has a greater tone of respect and authority to it than ma'am, so that's what's typically used.

I also feel like I have heard "lord" used for women characters in other fictional settings, which probably has desensitized me to its use for such, but I can't remember where.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.