The 'Sidian Tyranny thread

Gorth

The last words of the narrator on this video, "How could we have known that the fate of thousands would rest in your hands?" Isn't the answer to this provided in the video itself, because that's part of his job as a Fatebinder? Seems a little silly to not know that.

I think that nobody expected the situation that arose around that specific Fatebinder : two Archons in charge of the conquest who hate each other and allow for a rebellion to arise (the rebellion's leader in one of the gameplay videos even imply that the Voices of Nerat helped them to thrive), forcing the Fatebinder to take an even bigger role than they usually do.

Pre-ordered the lowest/basic edition on GOG

Was going to as well, then I read the min specs. I know Unity is a bit of a pig, but 6 GB of RAM seems a little excessive. So it'll have to wait until I replace my 10 year old (in ten days time) computer which will probably be Jan/ Feb when Zen is released.

If it will use  Unity 5.x, I think performance should be OK.

The last words of the narrator on this video, "How could we have known that the fate of thousands would rest in your hands?" Isn't the answer to this provided in the video itself, because that's part of his job as a Fatebinder? Seems a little silly to not know that.

I think that nobody expected the situation that arose around that specific Fatebinder : two Archons in charge of the conquest who hate each other and allow for a rebellion to arise (the rebellion's leader in one of the gameplay videos even imply that the Voices of Nerat helped them to thrive), forcing the Fatebinder to take an even bigger role than they usually do.

I've no doubt you're correct Mr Sannom, but this Fatebinder holding the fate of thousands in his hands for different reasons than the other Fatebinders who hold the lives of thousands in their hands...well it doesn't strike me as particularly informative or logical to mention. Obviously I don't know if the fate off the Tiers will be decided by our protagonist, but if so then perhaps a more specific summation would be, "How could we have known that the hopes of the last free nation on Terratus would rest in your hands?" Though obviously better written than my weak prose.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Pre-ordered the lowest/basic edition on GOG

Was going to as well, then I read the min specs. I know Unity is a bit of a pig, but 6 GB of RAM seems a little excessive. So it'll have to wait until I replace my 10 year old (in ten days time) computer which will probably be Jan/ Feb when Zen is released.

I can't - and haven't - even played Pillars of Eternity yet because I've been stuck with integrated graphics from 2006 or 2007 for the past few years. Plus an Athlon 64 X2, which is apparently way below the minimum for all the games I pledged too that supposedly would not have high system requirements. I can't figure out what is different about these role-playing games of today compared to yesterday besides the graphics. I will probably buy the game even if my PC can't run it now, though. I will have a PC capable of playing it eventually!

Video is only available for subscribers. Welp, that seems like good marketing :ermm:

EDIT: Oh wait there is a free youtube version. Not keen on effusive youtubers even those as elderly statesman-like as Day9 but I guess that's the world we live in.

Edited by MasterPrudent

Video is only available for subscribers. Welp, that seems like good marketing :ermm:

EDIT: Oh wait there is a free youtube version. Not keen on effusive youtubers even those as elderly statesman-like as Day9 but I guess that's the world we live in.

Just learn to be apathetic like the rest of us in the first circle and you will be at one with your apathy. Plus YouTube is simple too tasty a diversion to overlook. That said, I didn't see it yet, but like a bride to be, I'm waiting for the wedding night for all the good stuff... I hope.

Interesting fact gleaned from all these previews: Tyranny has a Fallout-esque timer. (Eight days before everyone dies. Time only passes when you travel between maps.)

Yes, this is a tremendous plus for the game in my personal opinion, I adore the strategising and optimal gameplay decisions that time constraints force on me. In BG2 for instance my playthrough was molded through completing the various companion quests before the timers ran out, be that Yoshimo involving me in Shadow Thief business as I am about to leave for my stronghold quest, from there finding Edwin and accepting his quest, being reminded by Korgan that he has business in the Government district or plumbing the Graveyard for Korgan and Edwin.

RPGs need more strictures, punishments for failure and failure states in my opinion. Also get rid of quest markers, as always.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Interesting fact gleaned from all these previews: Tyranny has a Fallout-esque timer. (Eight days before everyone dies. Time only passes when you travel between maps.)

Holy cow, you've managed to ensure I will never buy this game with a single post. :lol:

As time doesn't pass like in Fallout it should really not be much of a constraint. It will just encourage you to everything before you leave an area.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Re the tooltip exposition: Can one turn off this feature and just rely on either reading the manual to accrue that knowledge, as with great old classic games where preparing for the game merited an exhaustive and satisfying perusal? Or can one simply rely on good worldbuilding and excellent design to provide backstory and detail, as the best of games demonstrate?

I'm not a fan of clumsy exposition in any form, especially not this tasteless MMO variety of pop up mid dialogue.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Re the tooltip exposition: Can one turn off this feature and just rely on either reading the manual to accrue that knowledge, as with great old classic games where preparing for the game merited an exhaustive and satisfying perusal? Or can one simply rely on good worldbuilding and excellent design to provide backstory and detail, as the best of games demonstrate?

I'm not a fan of clumsy exposition in any form, especially not this tasteless MMO variety of pop up mid dialogue.

No.

You'll have to avoid hovering your cursor over it.

No one cares about world building without wikipedia articles these days it seems.

I hate Unity.

Someone finally opted to use the Great Power of Hyperlink. It's not like the concept was known for like 50 years or anything.

Presumably there's also going to be Codex section like in Pillars of Eternity if you fancy clicking. Edited by Fenixp

It was already in PoE IIRC. (the hyperlink thingie)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I see. Played it last time after the release. Afterwards, I have waited for both White March Expansions, and now I am waiting for 3.04. I have pretty big backlog, so PoE moved little bit behind the planned schedule :(

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours