Car - suggestions

Chilloutman

Hi Guys,

So I am slowly looking for new car. If you got any suggestions I would welcome them. I am from EU so US guys your view will be welcome as well but.. well you don't know much about EU cars :)

What I am looking for:

Probably SUV or similar. I am driving mostly on suburbs but I need car which can go off road from time to time and have enough space (I am going fishing).

It needs to be reliable, low maintenance car with good durability (corrosion proof etc.)

and also note that I will get used car as I don't have cash for new one so ideally some which have good reputation for used cars.

I don't want diesel either and I dont want less than 2000 ccm because than cas is slow or more that 3.5 ccm because insurance is than too expensive (and consumption as well)

Currently on my radar is Volvo xc90 with 3.4 petrol engine from 2012-14 - its quite expensive and i heard that off road capabilities are not great and 3.4 engine is bad as well so still on fence.

Another option was Hilux but they are more an offroad car all in all than SUV

Anyway thanks to all who share your views,

Chilloutman

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Volvo XC90 is for the CEOs where i am from, even if you get them second hand.

Buy a Dacia.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Buy a Dacia.

Sorry bro, no-way I am going to get Dacia xD. New Volvo is kinda CEO, but 5 years old have decent price tag around 13K-15K EUR. Thats my 10K-14K EUR is my target

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Buy a Dacia.

Sorry bro, no-way I am going to get Dacia xD. New Volvo is kinda CEO, but 5 years old have decent price tag around 13K-15K EUR. Thats my 10K-14K EUR is my target

I forgot i live in a country with the highest car prices in the world. That's actually affordable, disregard my opinion.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

am much regretting our bmw suv purchase.  am almost constant facing minor-to-major electrical issues that cannot be diagnosed by one such as Gromnir who is baffled by any vehicle w/o a distributor.  we would avoid the x3 and/or x5 in the future.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am much regretting our bmw suv purchase.  am almost constant facing minor-to-major electrical issues that cannot be diagnosed by one such as Gromnir who is baffled by any vehicle w/o a distributor.  we would avoid the x3 and/or x5 in the future.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, that's probably why I'll avoid an Audi, despite me really enjoying driving my Audi rental.  I mean, you can get a BMW or Audi certified pre-owned for a pretty good price around here, but it's the repair bills that will kill you.  

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with a Subaru. The Forester, Outback, or Crosstrek XV should suit your purposes just fine. Subaru's are:

AWD

Super reliable

Rugged

Decent fuel consumption depending on the engine.

Not the most luxurious cars but they are well built and last for ages.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Can't go wrong with a Subaru. The Forester, Outback, or Crosstrek XV should suit your purposes just fine. Subaru's are:

AWD

Super reliable

Rugged

Decent fuel consumption depending on the engine.

Not the most luxurious cars but they are well built and last for ages.

he seems to be shopping in the hoity-toity range o' full-size suvs along with the audi q7... but not quite the bentley bentayga or mercedes amg g65.

could wait a year for one o' the hellcat powered jeep grand cherokees, but am suspecting the price tag would be excessive.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/jeep-grand-cherokee-hellcat-production/

as an aside, having already mentioned jeep, we were shocked by how much we enjoyed driving a jeep cherokee trailhawk. we had a 1978 jeep cherokee that we put through hell before switching to a ford ranger pickup as our primary vehicle. we never considered buying another cherokee given how they kinda became soccer mom vehicles for a couple decades... that and it felt weird driving a vehicle named after an indian tribe.  then we got a chance to play around with the trailhawk version o' a 2016 grand cherokee and we were pleasant surprised.  for a former old skool rock donkey, we were quite happy with how well the trailhawk performed off-road in spite o' the lack o' solid axles.  is likely we woulda' purchased one if not for the fact that our dogs need a bit more room than the vehicle provides.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the 2017 version o' the trailhawk cherokee will have 10.8" o' clearance... not that anybody cares.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Eh, If they were made outside America a jeep Cherokee (the 90s version) were actually good cars

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

HA! Good Fun!

BMW SUV sux, its expensive, its terrible off-road, is high maintenance - same as Audi. Those not gonna cut it

• Like 1

I'm in a similar boat right now, as I'm shopping for a new car, though I can't offer any help since I'm in Murica and in the market for a sedan rather than a SUV.  I've pretty much determined (I'd say 98% at this point) that I'm going to wind up getting a new Mazda 6, based on the fact that I drove it and all the other mid-sized sedans in its price range and the Mazda driving experience blew all the other cars out of the water.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

am suspecting that if it were a random guy who didn't set his parking brake and got outta his vehicle, which were on a slope, and he managed to get dead while standing behind the still running car, folks would be more likely to chalk this one up to user error, particularly as fed investigators didn't note mechanical problems.  is tragic, but am doubting there would be much anger directed at the auto maker in question save for the fact that the one person who died due to jeep's "mistake" were a famous personage.

there were indeed a safety recall on the class o' cars in question, but that weren't resulting from mechanical error so much as a recognition that the gear shift design change resulted in a small number o' drivers being... confused.

*shrug*

am thinking one can see from the video that a distracted driver unfamiliar with the design might have problems getting his vehicle into park.

can't help but be reminded o' the audi 5000. the brake pedal on the audi were indeed placed different and were o' unfamiliar size for the typical american driver.  numerous fatal accidents resulted. in a sense, there were a design flaw in the audi... but not really.  no mechanical problem and the only design flaw were that it were different. familiar.

am gonna give jeep the benefit o' the doubt on anton seeing as how investigators didn't discover a problem... and 'cause if anybody else had died in the same accident, given the circumstances, we would be assuming user error until it were shown to be otherwise.

as to chill observations, we mention the audi and bmw as they is actual comparable (better in many respects) than the volvo that you were considering.  if you want a genuine off-road vehicle, we would choose other than the volvo, audi or bmw. volvo is not great off-road and it has noted lack o' coordination o' the powertrains. 

take leferd advice if you want a good mix o' performance, reliability and value. or maybe wait for the land rover discovery?

HA! Good Fun!

As much as I would like to get Jeep they are pretty expensive in EU - especially spare parts and maintenance so I think I have to skip them. Looking on into Subaru Foresters - they seem to be reasonable but it seems they got quite weak engines so I am still not sure

Any reason why you're not going for diesel?

I am usually driving short distances - diesel engines need to heat up and they got damaged if they are used a lot in cold state

Looking on into Subaru Foresters - they seem to be reasonable but it seems they got quite weak engines so I am still not sure

Depends on the engine. If you go with a turbo model, there's more than enough giddyup.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Looking on into Subaru Foresters - they seem to be reasonable but it seems they got quite weak engines so I am still not sure

Depends on the engine. If you go with a turbo model, there's more than enough giddyup.

yeah I rather have higher engine volume for power than turbo - they are prone to break and expensive to replace

I had a non turbo subaru 4wd station wagon/ estate which was 'only' 2.0L and it was absolutely fine in terms of speed and acceleration. It was actually pretty good off road as well, except for its ground clearance. It certainly felt more nippy and was far more pleasant to drive than the 4+ litre turbo SUV my sister had (albeit that was diesel) due to being far lighter and having far better handling, and it was better for suburban driving and acceleration than any SUV or Utility I've driven.

Personally I wouldn't go for a turbo for the same reasons as you but to be fair I actually do have one now and so far it's been perfectly reliable for 70,000 km.

yeah I rather have higher engine volume for power than turbo - they are prone to break and expensive to replace

Well, then you get worse fuel efficiency. And turbos are not prone to break unless you drive like a madman. I've got a Low Pressure Turbo on my Volvo 940 that's done 350000km's with just regular service, it's not broken down in the past 18 years, and I don't expect it to break in the coming years either when I up the pressure from 0.3 to .8 bar. (From 135Hp to 200+Hp and 230Nm to 300+Nm)

Are you certain that you need a SUV for your offroading, there are some normal cars that can handle light offroad tracks very well. Some better than SUV's. If you want any offroading capabilities to speak of,it's a Land Rover or similar that you want.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm in a similar boat right now, as I'm shopping for a new car, though I can't offer any help since I'm in Murica and in the market for a sedan rather than a SUV. I've pretty much determined (I'd say 98% at this point) that I'm going to wind up getting a new Mazda 6, based on the fact that I drove it and all the other mid-sized sedans in its price range and the Mazda driving experience blew all the other cars out of the water.

The only other consumer car that's close is the Accord. Maybe a charger if you want to deal with dodge.

The Cherokee that killed Anton was because of the ****ing stupid shifter design. I drove a 300 with that shifted and it doesn't provide enough feedback to inform you that you've changed gears.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm in a similar boat right now, as I'm shopping for a new car, though I can't offer any help since I'm in Murica and in the market for a sedan rather than a SUV. I've pretty much determined (I'd say 98% at this point) that I'm going to wind up getting a new Mazda 6, based on the fact that I drove it and all the other mid-sized sedans in its price range and the Mazda driving experience blew all the other cars out of the water.

The only other consumer car that's close is the Accord. Maybe a charger if you want to deal with dodge.

The Cherokee that killed Anton was because of the ****ing stupid shifter design. I drove a 300 with that shifted and it doesn't provide enough feedback to inform you that you've changed gears.

gives at least 2 visual indicators to let the driver know he is in park, and an auditory one as well. the shifter itself displays whether or not you are in park and an indication is displayed via instrument panel.  in the version we drove, there were also the hud.  is also a distinct beep/ding, but if music is being played too loud, such sounds could be missed.

is different.  you don't feel the shift as change from park to drive.  also, the shifter does not lock in place when parked.  nevertheless, there is multiple feedback options.  

HA! Good Fun!

In terms of reliability long term, I think the Japanese have that one. Toyota I believe is statistically the most reliable, with the largest million mile club(one million miles on the original engine) Subaru is known for it too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg