Pillars of Eternity 3.04 Beta Feedback Contest (Conversation Thread)

Fionavar

Question

Figured I'd start us off,

This of course is just and example, give feedback in any format you want. 

What we are looking for:

The primary goal of this feedback challenge is to hear from you guys. We'd love to get feedback from you all and want to make sure that 3.04 update is amazing. We will do our best to take all feedback into consideration.

We'd love for you all to test out the fixes and changes we've made in the beta and let us know what still needs fixing and tweaking. Below are a few examples of what we are looking to hear from you guys.

· Druid Spell: Infestation of Maggots. In the past, the spell was not working properly as a result of a bug. We have corrected the issue and Infestation of Maggots now correctly deals damage based off % Endurance.

Feels a little strong early in the game, it does however fall off a little later on.

· We found that Sabre's base damage was a little too high. Sabre base damage will drop to 11-16, and will have a +20% damage mod. They should still take the 'top damage' slot but this change should lower them enough to encourage other options. How does this change feel? Does this change stop you from using Sabres?

I love the change. I was tired of Rogues only using Sabres.

·  We fixed a bug that was preventing Ranger ability Powder Burns from reaching its full potential. Powder Burns now applies DR. Try experimenting with that build and let us know how you like it. Do you still prefer Twinned Arrows over Powder Burns? (Stormcaller is OP, we know)

I liked powder burns before and I'm stoked that they fixed the DR bug with guns.

Open Communication With Us:

Rate us on how we have been communication with you guys!

1. How have we been at communicating with you guys?

Yeah, love talking to you. Especially Sking, he is the best.

2. What did you like about us?

Everything, you are the best developer. Especially Sking, he is the best.

3. What kind of things would you like to see us improve on?

I wish Sking would get paid more. That would really take you to the next level.

4. What would you like to hear from us in the future?

I want to hear about future projects sooner.

5. Additional thoughts?

I wish I could high five Sking.

Combat:

What is the hardest fight you had in the game? What were your favorite and least favorite fights? Do you feel that there were any boss fights that were to overwhelming or underwhelming? What was so difficult about it? Let us know.

Hardest fight on my most recent playthrough was the Abbet on top of the Abbey. My favorite fight is the battle for Caed Nua. Least favorite is any fight with too many charms. The Kraken is super underwhelming, way too easy. The Adra Dragon could be taken down a peg, breathe AoE may be too big.

Additional Information:

Are there any bugs that we missed you would like to see fixed that is not appearing in this list? Let us know about the top 5 bugs you would like to see fixed for the official 3.04 update and how we can reproduce them.

1. Tooltip for Sabre 'Sharp' is missing 468

2. Audio mix up with companion barks

3. Party AI will sometimes attack enemies in fog

4. Fireball should do like 1 million more damage

5. When does PoE 2 come out?

This of course is just and example, give feedback in any format you want. I don't think it will be winning any prizes.

• Like 6

Hi there,

totally new to this forum so hi at first! :)

I only recently finished The White March II, so I haven't had a second playthrough yet. Although right after finishing the game I missed it instantly, so I created a new character... but haven't had the time to play a bit more so far.

I might add some feedback later once I've checked out your 3.04 bugfixes. For now I fear I can't give much feedback on it, as I haven't played it yet. I hope you're still ok with some feedback on the rest. ;)

Oh well, that is basically the first interaction I have, but I like it. :)

PoE spoke SO MUCH of how you communicated with your players. What I loved best was actually the "settings" menu, where you could really change everything... I found myself using the "How much meta information do you want to see" a lot, turning stuff on and off all the time. I found this a very elegant way to give every player the individual experience they want.

Does this question only refer to communication? If yes, then I don't know tbh!

If no: I found the weakest aspects of the game were actually combat balancing (I still enjoyed the fights but I heard a lot of friends complain that the combats started off very hard and then dropped down too easy even in hard modes and I kinda agree). Also, my inventory was stuffed with potions and food I never managed to use all. I think I only crafted a potion once (see below at combat). Maybe less is more? Or the combats should be harder, so I actually have to work with potions all the time.

I want to hear about release dates sooner. :D

5. Additional thoughts?

-

Combat:

What is the hardest fight you had in the game? What were your favorite and least favorite fights? Do you feel that there were any boss fights that were to overwhelming or underwhelming? What was so difficult about it? Let us know.

Hardest fight was way beyond everything Lord Raedric (1). I don't know how many times I did a reload... actually my husband helped me win it at some point. :D After that, everything felt easy in comparison. I think the Radiant Spore fight was also pretty difficult, but I kinda managed. Fighting the Vampyr in the ruins of Caed Nua was also pretty difficult. However, I probably skipped some of the hardest fights, as I always was very nice to dragons in the game. ;)

My favorite fight... uh, so many! Well, I loved the Kraken setup, that really looked amazing. And the first time the Eyeless appear. Earlier from the game, I really liked the Vampyr fight and the one against Concelhaul. And the one where Caed Nua is attacked and I can bring a few more friends. ;)

Overwhelming: Lord Raedric (1) . Underwhelming: Lord Raedric (2), Kraken fight, Eyeless fights once you get the "one hit" hammer. I brewed my first potion for more accuracy and they just fell like dead flies. I also was a bit suprised winning the end fight in my first try. Maybe I was just well prepared? A friend of mine said she never could finish it in easy mode. oO

Generally, I found a few of the normal "large numbers" fights more challenging than the boss fights. What really made me loose were: a) poison / my team members taken out by stuns/roots/mind control etc.  b) Healers I didn't notice quick enough  c) Whenever I didn't heed "shoot the mage first" because I was distracted by something

Additional Information:

Are there any bugs that we missed you would like to see fixed that is not appearing in this list? Let us know about the top 5 bugs you would like to see fixed for the official 3.04 update and how we can reproduce them.

I haven't checked this lately, but what really annoyed me were traps. I spent quite a lot time to carefully place traps for the enemy, let them run into it (which is quite some micro management if you don't want your team to be hit too).... only to notice that the traps werte not even triggered! Usually someone just ran slightly over the edge, so I would consider it a bug that they didn't trigger.

Edited by Ninsianna
  • Like 3

I will write a proper paper soon, bit meanwhile i have to signal 2 major bugs:
- no Durance anymore at megran fork
- no caed nua on the map, so you can't reach it and can't complete act 1

edit:

#embarassingmoments

Edited by Dr <3
  • Like 2

I will write a proper paper soon, bit meanwhile i have to signal 2 major bugs:

- no Durance anymore at megran fork

- no caed nua on the map, so you can't reach it and can't complete act 1

Oh man, Dr <3. You forgot to speak to the hanging dwarf didn't you..? It is okay, I still consider you the doctor of my heart haha.

- Sking

• Like 2

Dear Developers,

Let me be the second as an enthusiastic player

I have restarted the game several times with a rough only because that is my favorite character and I consider that one for my way of play the strongest. I am in act II with finalizing all quests and finishing Caed nua, but not killing the dragon yet, which is a goal with my latest play since at another one I let her go. (I hope she will appear in Pillars2 :-) )

I have not started to use the newest beta Patch so this is rather an experience description

It’s completely okay no issues with that

I am on the same opinion as the first writer plus the fact that you answer almost all issues. Nevertheless, you resurrected my favorite game (Baldur’s Gate) from my childhood and you made a far better one. Also I very like the Endurance and Healing points logic, it is very cool, I also like the level up system that characters are getting will, reflex, fortitude, and deflection points not just Endurance and accuracy. With this, on higher levels the hit is not 100% as it was at the first PoE game or in Baldurs Gate. Here I would add a suggestion. Since Characters are different and has different type of strengths and weaknesses, I would modify the standards three points to all defenses to character specific. Also its very cool that the armors have damage reduction points against the effects in the game. This was very misdesigned in BG

I disagree with the previous writer regarding potions and food. Since I am playing on Path of the Damned, and I am truly playing on real Trial of Iron, which means I restarted the game when I died many times, using potions, scrolls, food is inevitable. The significant part of my gold is spent for item parts to have always scroll of defense, protection, accuracy boost, revive, paralyze and so on stuff at my character. Since with using scrolls a chanter can be a battle wizard, a warrior can be a professional healer a rogue can be a summoner and things like that. I say the tool system that you created is very cool. If someone understands the combat logic, he or she must understand that these things are a MUST on Path of the damned, since if the healer priest falls someone has to resurrect him or everyone dies. Or if the healer is casting a defensive magic, one type, but for winning the battle another defense type is required than someone else has to cast that. With this logic, I was easily able to progress with the game much faster, I do not have to sleep so much, and I was able to go inside Cragholdt on level 11. It was extremely difficult, but beatable.

Ohh I forgot traps: Very cool things very usable, all of my characters using mechanics and stealth. On Potd, for beating the harder fights traps are very useful extremely. It takes time, it’s true, but significantly weakens the enemy.

What I would say that would be a very good improvement is the experience points and level ups. My experience is that very easy to reach the max level very fast on Potd. I am in the mid of Act 2 not beating Caed Nua in this game and Readrick and I am on level 10, 6 level the top and almost the whole game is in front of me. I would make the level experience need bigger, or at least providing an option for fanatic players (as you did with the damages after running with endurance to 0)

Additionally, I would use different level ups to characters a fighter would be faster a wizard would be slower. Moreover, I would give another option to players who would like to switch of the not in the party companion exp giving. Since in this case the player would need to use all character to keep them on the proper level. Now they get the experience point regardless they had real experience with the active team or not.

Pillars of Eternity 2 announcements J or at least another expansion J

5. Additional thoughts?

I would add to the game more scrolls with all the available magics that can be found in the game, not just some from the priest Wizard and Druid. At least all magics from wizard Priest and druid to have the requirement of the bigger lore than 10.

Athletics and Survival skill are weak in this way Athletics extremely is. Prevously some points were needed on it to avoid Fatigue but now its advantage only to have a healing, which is easily replaceable wit lore and scrolls. I would give to athletics some kind of combat attributes changing advantage, such as a minor speed boost a minor deflection bonus ects, since the better athletics I have the faster I am and harder to hit.

Survival idea was okay but unfortunately the most usable abilities, e.g. the Consumable duration needs so much points, so I decided to give those points to mechanics and stealth to make my team to trap laying Commando.

Combat:

With my newest restart, I did not have too much hard fights. With using Trial of Iron I must go to that place where I win, so I must follow an order and a logic. Maybe the big Wurm at Searing falls cave but he died as well easily since I cancelled his terrify ability with scrolls and I continuously used Scroll of def. and protection.

Overall the hardest one at Caed nua endless paths level 12 where I was not cautious enough the team was depleted tired, and started a battle with pigwas and the spore lings and with everything in the same time by coincidence. There I almost died and I used up every magic scroll potion that I had.

Apart from this I like the battle logic it is very cool.

However, there is a very annoying part: when I was in Copperlane the Leaden Key guys attacked me and I did not notice one of the justiciars… I applied a fireball and the justiciar turned against me since he was hit. Stem from the fact he died but I have not noticed I saved the game after that. Later I moved to the marketplace and EVERONE ATTACKED ME, since all the justiciars turned against me after I killed one of them. Since I have one save at trial of iron I was very angry since the only way was to correct this glitch was to modify the save game and deleting the map copperlane as I was never been there.  So I think this type of issue must be handled somehow.

Additional Information:

Yes. Ciphers Mind wave is still incorrect. It shows the area effect starting from the cypher and not from the enemy to whom I cast as it was in one of the early games.

Shortly that was all :)

Kind regards,

Kpista

Edited by Kpista
  • Like 2

Dear Developers,

Lets do rock.

My english is not at the best but its ok, I will try.

First, I like this game for this principal reason : its a RPG with an intensive team play (6 characters). I play in path of the damned, and very often in team, because I like that. Test multiple possibilities etc. More, I like to have a lots of opportunities for "optimizations" for various build. (Nwn 2 !...Memories...)

Its a great forum with great people. Staff and others. Wink to Aarik ! The staff listening and its a great thing.

The best experience for RPG with Obsidian its for me Pillars of Eternity and Kotor 2. Both games I know (and Nwn 2 too ! obviously). Specifically, the best written character is for me Kreia (Darth Traya). Quality and quantity are different. But here, the same, Kreia overlooks all the game for our greatest pleasure. Its mentor and philosophical character. Its amazing, quite simply.

You have also do a great job for the Barb and rogue in 3.03. Its important to note.

1. A certainty to not create news bug with new patch.

2. Loading time in endgame is very VERY problematic. I'm not the most to be pitied with my SSD. But, in endgame ~20s loading with a great material...

3. Improve some situations of pathfinding. OR create a buzzer when the action its impossible + the character don't move. Precisely when there is a barrage of characters in crownded place.

4. Its a plus, but a french dubbing (acoustic not written). This always enhance the immersion in my opinion, MOSTLY when there is lot of text (like Obsidian's games.)...

5. In same route, warning to... too much text. In my view, the text must serve a purpose. (Kreia is a perfect good exemple. The pleiad of NPC with boring story from... contributors is the negative exemple)

Pillars of Eternity 2. I love the first. No reason to not be interrested.

5. Additional thoughts?

No.

Combat:

For me, The hardest fight and -I like that- is the radiant spore. Its also because my team is glass canon oriented. I have recently found a good counter for this, with the chanter. Personnaly, I want and I desire this kind of battle. Its amazing to surpass a difficulty when you are interrested by the game.

My favorite battle is the double dragon with the mage. Its a creative approach and I like that. One dragon its great but here, it was a pleasant surprise, and a challenge at my level. Its just a shame to not have the "permanent bonus" if the player take the risk of the confrontation^^. That said, its not a big problem because its one of the final battle, so it's not a big loss.

Let's talk to a real shame...^^ the "famous" Kraken... Oh my god... Its VERY... VERY^^ disapointing. Sincerely, I don't understand why he is so weak... When you are level ~14, its a trash mob. For me, i say it, its a wasted time. It must raised its DR or/and HP --urgently--. (its my opinion). It break the impression of prestige of two extension !

I understand the concept of ease in normal difficulty, but much less in PotD...

Additional Information:

I have not played to game since 3.02. I prefer say nothing about it.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

Guest FlorianGh

Dear Obsidian developers,

First of all I have to say that I am a big Pillars of Eternity fan, I have the game with both expansions and I have spend over 400 hours in. For me, it's one of the best CRPG's in the last years along with Underrail. I love the perspective, the graphics and the fact that it is a role playing game with multiple outcomes.

Feedback about game :

I have to say that The White March was a lot better then the main campaign mainly because there was a lot more reactivity in it. 

Combat : the hardest for me was the dragons and the final battle with Thaos.

Feedback about communication:

I have no problem whatsoever.

I like the fact that you didn't lie about no console port like InXile did with TTON.

Of course faster patching and less bugs.Pillars of Eternity is already the first Obsidian game that has so many patches post release.

Pillars of Eternity 2 announcement and the release of Tyranny this year.

5. Additional thoughts?

Keep making RPG's based upon this engine with tons of reactivity so we will play them at least 4 times, but please improve upon loading times!

Additional Information:

I already stated a bug that is still not ironed out :http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/79967-106-beta-and-still-no-fix-for-the-resize-of-log-window/

I encountered a new one when I start a new game and point near the character portrait the window showing Strange Illness keeps bouncing up and down very fast.

Edited by FlorianGh

Hi guys,

adding my .02 to the thread.

As I'm on GoG and therefore unable to try the beta, I will only provide general feedback rather than touch on the specifics of fixes that have been implemented and/or new bugs that have been introduced/discovered.

Open Communication With Us:

Overall, I'd say your communication with backers and fans as far as PoE is concerned was excellent. You talked with us more, and shared more things, than any other developer I know ever does.

However, in the name of constructive criticism, I would mention two occasions in which communication hasn't been on par:

• Chris Avellone's novella.
    Communication on this particular item has been scarce since the very beginning and by the time MCA left, its delivery was already considered late by many. When MCA left, I would have expected an official statement from Obsidian on whether and how his departure would affect the delivery of the novella; instead, there was silence, and many of us wondered whether the novella would ever be released at all. Only much later would Adam Brennecke say just the cover was missing; a few months later the novella was released with patch 3.03 and no official announcement in this regard. Some people just found the novella in their game's folder; others found out because the former said so on the forums. In general, this left a sour back taste, as though the team didn't really care much for the novella at all and didn't want to talk to fans about it.
  • Patch 3.03.
    After 3.02 was released, the team went radio silent and there was no sign or feedback on whether 3.02 would be the last patch for PoE. Many serious bugs were still in the game and no idea whether a 3.03 would come, let alone when. It took it several months to come out, and one full month of beta during which no new issues were addressed at all, including new ones 3.03 itself had introduced and users reported. A backer update was mentioned which never came.

By contrast, 3.04 is being handled excellently well. Kudos for that :)

Your frequent communication with us; the candor and honesty with which you went to the point instead of trying to embellish it when it came to things like "it wouldn't make financial sense for us" or "we don't have the resources for it" etc. I can understand and accept that kind of explanation even if you think it sounds bad; trust me, it sounds worse if you BS it up ;) I love how you listen to player feedback, and especially so the way you're doing it with this contest and the 3.04 beta. Granted, this isn't something that can be done when a game's just been released and its user base is very wide; but near the end of the product's cycle, when only hardcore fans are sticking around, it's great that you'd turn to them for feedback on priority bugs to fix.

In general, you're doing pretty great so I'd say, keep doing what you're doing! Just make sure you do it consistently, avoiding episodes like the two I described above.

News about PoE 2, PoE spin-offs, and the future of the franchise; news about Tyranny. Open communication on patches like you've been doing, though perhaps with more comprehensive patch notes if possible. Openness and honesty on what can't be done / won't be done and the reasons why.

5. Additional thoughts?

Sking is the best. He should be getting a pay raise.

Combat:

Hardest fight was probably the monks in the Abbey of the Fallen Moon; nasty how they jump your back line and disable you with their abilities (which is good!)

My favorite fights were Adra Dragon, Alpine Dragon, the mercenaries in Cragholdt, Concelhaut, and Llengrath. I would have liked the Sky Dragon as well if it hadn't been so incredibly under-leveled (and therefore easy) by the time I got to it. I like these fights because they are challenging and they feel special (you're fighting an impressive enemy with unique characteristics and abilities.)

My least favorite fights are some of the trash mobs in Act III and the Glasdial bounty (I guess for some reason I just don't like the atmosphere of it.)

Most underwhelming fights:

• Kraken
    Really weak for a PX2 boss fight; its level is too low as I think it would be very hard to get to that point and be that under-leveled with your party. My suggestion would be to make it a level 14 beast (not sure why it's pegged as a primordial) with more immunities (I'd suggest Prone, Stun, Frighten, Terrify, Stuck, and perhaps Weaken), and perhaps a slightly higher DR. Also watch out for this, as it seems its DR actually not working at all.
  • Thaos
    I understand the final fight was kept low key for non-completionists, but the high-level scaling option should be cranked up a notch. Right now a full party of 16th-level characters can wipe Thaos and his minions rather easily even without using St. Ydwen's Redeemer, which is kind of unsatisfying and anti-climatic for the end boss.
  • Sky Dragon
    Same as with Thaos; it's part of the critical path so it is low key. However, the high-level scaling option could probably make it harder. Keep in mind a completionist is going to start Act III at level 16. Appreciate not everyone is a completionist but those guys have Story Mode to play with :p On PotD with level scaling, I'd like my 16th-level party to be challenged by the Sky Dragon.
  • Eyeless
    They go down like flies if you've got the hammer and St. Ydwen's Redeemer—and even without them, by the time you get to them you're probably high level enough to brute force them. The only way to get there at their level is to go to The White March at level 5 and do literally nothing else outside of it until you face them. I was expecting more from metal dudes who can literally walk through Durgan Battery's walls and tear them apart in the process :)

Additional Information:

1. Stun duration from items too long. [Fix in the thread!]

2. Retaliation / Irritating / Binding suppressing each other.

3. No option to get Wael's Boon.

4. Triggered AOE / pulse AOE effects getting modified by concurrent special attacks like rogue Strikes and Knockdown [Examples: here and here]

5. Eyestrike from Elryn's Jacket is triggered by Consecrated Ground.

EDIT:

In terms of balance changes, what does everyone think about making spiritshift abilities like Cat Flurry Attack 1/encounter instead of 1/rest?

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 4

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

OK, let's try.

Can't really say actually, haven't followed the beta feedback forums that much (or forums at all, for that matter), but on a cursory glance, well, communication have been pretty good. It did, however, have some hiccups here and there (already mentioned radio silence and so on), so as they say, it could be even better!

Basically, your openness about game mechanics. Josh Sawyer is a big part of that - he never talks in marketing terms ("trust us, it is already awesome and will be even more awesome, don't you worry!"), only concrete and hard facts.

The question isn't specified enough. ;-) But I guess when it comes to future projects, you could improve by having more designers on your forums, talking to users about design, decisions and suggestions.

New projects' sneak peeks, teaser trailers, mystery screenshots, Eder's exclusive twitter account... all the usual stuff.

5. Additional thoughts?

This should actually go to PoE 2 Wishlist, but I think you guys are reading this thread anyway (and it IS "additional thoughts", indeed!), so here goes:

Potential sequel could benefit from more quest-content, I think. Right now quests are very short when it comes to their mechanism and not really involving per se - basically player goes there, does that, and that's that. Two-three-step process, without much mental work or player experimentation. Make player search for potential solutions, make unusual solutions, make player think outside of the box, instead of simply following the journal. "The Final Act" quest is a good example of typical PoE quest - instead of gathering the clues, guesswork, stealthwork and thinking, you basically go to A, B, C points (conveniently specified in the journal), get X, Y, Z information and then go to the Omega point and then everything is solved. TWM improved on these aspects (with puzzles, for example), but there's still a wide room for improvement. Fallout 2 could be a good example, I think, when it comes to quest design and handholding: the game mostly tells you what you need to do, but rarely how. And no, Expert Mode is not really an answer to that!

Also factions too could benefit from this for exactly same reason: in PoE, their arcs are too short and simple. Two quests per faction and only one batch of mutually exclusive and simple quests (follow the journal and everything will basically solve itself). I think Fallout: New Vegas is a great example of faction design. Two games, and each of them (well, F2 to an extent) is made by you guys - so go wild!

Combat:

What is the hardest fight you had in the game?

I'm currently replaying game (on Hard, I'm not hardcore enough, keep that in mind) to refresh my memory, but I think the hardest fight in a *good* way was Radiant Spore. It is, I think, the right kind of hard - instead of simply pumping stats through the roof like with dragons and make them one-shot anything and everything, it forces player to adapt and invent a strategy. PoE on the whole is sadly lacking these kind of battles, so this fight really stands out. I think PoE 2 should strive to include more fights like that.

Least favorite fights?

Basically, any fight which turns the screen in a chaotic mess so it's up to you to systemate this chaos properly. It's a combat pace problem, so yeah. Apart from that, I guess... it would be Kaoto fight. It combines the wrong kind of hard (stats through the stars) and chaotic, quick, messy pace. If the PoE combat was slower, I guess it would have been more enjoyable, but as it stands, you simply don't even have enough time to react. The setup of the fight actually is not too bad, but thanks to the quick tempo... yeah, you can guess.

N.B. It seems that Tyranny actually have a much clearer fights (at a glance, at least). I think it's because of: a) larger sprites, b) sharp and hard FX feedback, c) slower tempo. I don't know if that's really the case (you have to play the game, I guess), but if so, well, that's a good sign for PoE 2.

Do you feel that there were any boss fights that were to overwhelming or underwhelming?

Kraken, for obvious reasons.

And Thaos, for the reasons AndreaColombo mentioned. Really guys, you have FOUR easy difficulties, at least make PotD AND upscaled Thaos formidable enough! The upscale option is there for a reason! If someone plays PotD and enables upscale, well, I think it's because this someone wants as much challenge as he/she can get.

I also think Thaos is not too strong simply because he's a Priest...

N.B. Now that I think about it... if optional level-scaling changed enemy encounter composition based on a level, not only difficulty, would that be good or bad?

BUGS BUGS BUGS

Mostly stronghold-related.

1. Crowd sounds remain when you complete Gathbin quests.

2. The companion barks regarding fortress progress should activate only once (or at least, you should severely reduce their frequency). "Better, indeed". "Better, indeed". "Better, indeed". Gellarde!

3. Regarding stronghold dilemmas. If Watcher decides to, for example, convince a thief to surrender herself, she really SHOULD NOT happily return in a randomly fashion just a few days after. If someone is exiled, he/she should stay exiled. If someone is imprisoned/perished - well...

So yeah, I think that's that.

EDIT:

In terms of balance changes, what does everyone think about making spiritshift abilities like Cat Flurry Attack 1/encounter instead of 1/rest?

Good idea, I think. I recently tried a Druid character and also figured this could be done. It's distinctive enough and not gamebreaking in the least, for it to be limited by per-rest. However, I don't really want more balance changes, because I really don't want new bugs to be uncovered. ;-)

And BTW, yeah, forgot to mention Sking and Aarik. You guys rock, keep it up!

Edited by Fiery Rain
  • Like 2

Hi

It's my first post on this forum. I should share some thoughts with you earlier. English isn't my native language but I would try doing my best with this feedback.

I read most of dev diary and other stuff about Pillars of Eternity and now Tyranny, I frequently read this forum. I watched many interviews on youtube (those with Matt Barton was very insightfull and funny)  and read other things across internet. I watched panels - like the one where Josh explained design behind the attributes system. So I guess communication is one of your best qualities. I like to know how the game was made and why some features were designed in the way they are. Thanks to you I know a lot about production of your games. You are probably the best studio out there if consider communication aspect. It's like Feargus said, what changed after starting Obsidian - transparation. He means mostly internal transparation during work on a projects but now everything is transparent for players. Probably thanks to Kickstarter.

I don't know where to start. I spend thousands of hours playing all your games - those based on Infinity Engine and both Fallouts when you were still working in Interplay/Black Isle, publishing or developing the most memorable cRPGs. Later, when Tim founded Troika Games I spent huge amount of time with the best adaptation of D&D 3.5 - The Temple of Elemental Evil. I played through Arcanum a lot. Then when Feargus gathered people under Obsidian banner I fall in love with KotOR 2 and later when Neverwinter Nights 2 came out - first spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate (and Mask of Betrayer as spiritual succesor to Planescape Torment). Both sequels are imho better in every way than original games from BioWare, which were great so your works is even better. You even managed to bring back true Fallout atmosphere and actual quests and interesting NPCs in New Vegas. I played Alpha Protocol few times - great nonlinear story, characters and awesome spy feeling - too bad you don't have rights to the franchise, sequel would be great. Even Dungeon Siege III was fun to play and now I'm watching entire South Park tv show to prepare before playing Stick of Truth. I play all of your games to this day. And I finished my favourite at least 20 times - what can I say? "I like songs that  I know". (I'm not sure if this saying is the same in english).

3. What you like about Pillars of Eternity?
Pillars of Eternity announecement was like dreams come true. I regret that I coudn't afford to give you my support before, when you started Kickstarter campaign. Pillars of Eternity is everything what I like about your games. Your style of writing an incredible, and what most important, personal story with strong themes, interesting, multidimensional characters, rich background and exposition of setting. I love how you break stereotypes in Planescape Torment and KotOR II. I admire how you use strong themes in different way, for example - I like how you pictured war in KotOR II - not as a conflict with gunning and blowing in galactic scale, but as something quiet, something what touched Exile and his companion, changed all of them. I found similar style in PoE - something bad happened and it changed the nature of the world, a part of the world for sure. I like how you succesfully push players in pursuit for answers. Nothing is plain and simple. There is room for conjectures and interpretation. It's unique feeling - while I was playing KotOR II I felt like I was playing another Planescape Torment, then I felt it again in Mask of Betrayer and now in Pillars of Eternity. It's the feel of understanding things that affected my character in past and shaped me for the future. 

I like how you constructed dialogs and quests. Players not only make a choice, but they know why they pick specific solution to situation, players can find personal motivation behind each choice. The best type of choice and consequence, like in Fallout. Reactive world as simulation, logic sequence of cause and effect. It's great in Pillars of Eternity thanks to reputation system, factions, personal motivations, background and skills that open players a new way to resolve quest or simply choose the right path for themself.

I like how characters seems to be real people - for example Eder, his beliefs and background, his doubts, even sense of humor which reminds me of Atton. The way how insightfull they are - like Durance, or mysterious and shocking like Greving Mother. They act like real person. There are subtle things that give them more personality, even small things like battle cries - Pallegina's "For the Republics!" (she's like jedi knight sometimes).

I like your attention to details - from ranger weapons reloading animation to things like footsteps in snow (which is incredible seeing this in 2D environment) or warm breath out of mouth in cold air of the White March. The same details in building real, reactive world - like giving knife to the boy and after a while hearing about that he accidentaly cut off fingers.

I like how you crafted Eora as unique, grim, renaissance setting, drawing inspiration from history of mankind. I missed this type of setting since Lionheart. Like Josh, I have a degree in History. Eora is fresh and yet familiar.

Game mechanics are well done. I have excellent understanding of system you created for this game. I like how you designed physical warriors in the way D&D 4th edition does - they have exploits comparable to great magical powers - special attacks etc. And what I like the most, Pillars of Eternity is transparent manifesto against metagaming: no exp for each slain enemy, no buffing before combat, restriction in resting system and other things which make Pillars of Eternity similar to real RPG sessions. 

4. What kind of things would you like to see us improve on?
- First of all bring back MCA or at least cooperate with him. Chris is one of the coolest writer and designer in game development.
- Stronger use of main character's background (but you allready did this in Tyranny I heard). If you played any of awesome Shadowrun games from Harebrained Schemes, there are certain etiquettes which bring more role playing approach and new solutions during dialogs. It could be similar with character's background.
- If you will add romance options in new games, please try to bind them with the story, like in Mask of the Betrayer or Alpha Protocol.
- Speed up save and load process.
- Give greater role to factions, like in New Vegas. More unique, exclusive content for each other.
- Quicker path to available companions, so players could use them and hear them throught most part of the game. I gather all companions in 2-3 hours last time, but until I'll have chance to recruit Zahua, Maneha or the most difficult - Devil of Carock at least 1/3 or even 1/2 of the game will be "done".
- Expand the setting for new places, exploring cultures we heard playing first Pillars of Eternity.
- More sketch of items, not only for soulband items but like it was in old Infinity Engine games. This build great vibe and seams more real and immersive.
- Living soul trapped in sword made of adra, with personality on the same level as character's companions. Talking sword like Lilarcor. I thought it would be great for this type of setting, bound the soul in adra and learn something from "it" mistakes when he or she was alive.
- More items for caster classes (more robes, hood, different cosmetic changes).
- Strong aspect of both Baldur's Gate II and Pillars of Eternity are huge sidequest stand alone adventures with consistent story, memorable NPCs. Like Roedrick Castle, Skaen Temple (or Umar Hills, Cult of the Eyless etc. in BG II). This is the best option for side content.
- It would be cool to visit puzzle dungeons and locations, like Ice Temple of Auril or Fell Wood in Icewind Dale II or Watcher's Keep in Throne of Bhaal.
- More cutscenes on game engine, like those in Baldur's Gate II or KotOR II, between the chapters, foreshadowing characters or important parts of the plot.
- I like long description in dialogs, like those used in vanilla Pillars of Eternity or in Shadowrun from Harebrained Scehemes. It adds a huge vibe, build up atmoshpere. I felt like White March was missing some of this type of texts. But long narration between character's lines breaks voice acting. It is possible, to make longer pauses between another spoken lines played in dialogs if they are separate by additional narrative description? 

5. Pillars of Eternity missing features.
- I would like that each book, note, poem or anything else which contain a lore about Eora would be added to separate section in the journal. Like codex entries in Dragon Age/Mass Effect series. This way players could read the lore in any time they want and have easy access to it without filling inventory with many books to read in the future. I'm lore freak.
- I would like that clicking right mouse button on any avatar could plays its sounds. Like rightclicking on sprites in Infinity Engine games played NPCs voices or monster's sounds. Some of them were unique and coudn't be heard otherwise (for example Firkraag's lines in Baldur's Gate II).
- I'm playing expert mode for the most of time, my first playthrough was hard difficulty with expert. It's great way to play PoE but with all new mechanics and new spells, abilities there was something missing - area of effect markers. It's strange that expert mode doesn't allow that, while for example in D&D playing on the grid players could precisely target AoE spells.
- Can you please allow players to wear cloak and neckles at the same time? Only for cosmetic purpose. I like my wizard or priest or paladin wearing a cloak, but sometimes neckles have better benefits.

6. Combat:
The hardest fights: Concelhaut, Adra Dragon, Alpine Dragon, Llengrath, fampyr Roderick, Nalrend the Wise. I think that those fight are the most difficult because all bosses have minions. Fighting dragons, liches, archmages in Infinity Engine games or later in Neverwinter Nights was always combat designed as party vs single oponent. Nalrend the Wise was hard because those ogre druids cast a ton of healing spells and insect plague. Some fights with fampyrs or spores are hard because of charm effect, but I will test that soon. I didn't have problems last time I fought Radiant Spore.

The easiest fights: Thaos, Kraken. I'm playing now on normal difficulty and I think that entire game is too easy on this level. Design of high difficulty is very good, path of the damned is challenging but I'm not into artifical stat increasing in cRPG.

7. Balance issue.
- Divine Mark, I guess it was designed as spell against boss type oponents. It has bonus +15 to accuracy vs Will (which is probably one of the lowest defence) and this spell does a huge amount of damage and lower deflection making a target easier to hit by conventional weapons. As vs boss spell it has issue close range - because of the minions it's quite dangerous to use, while in early game this low level spell seams too powerfull against normal enemies.
- Dextirity, I think this one attribute gives the least benefits for any character. I never min-max, I always make my character balanced, like natural living person without dump stat. And 3% to speed up recovery action seams negligible when you spent only few points over 10 in that attribute. Attack speed, casting speed generally affects frequency of making actions. So if attack animation's speed is constant until recovery action reach 0 seconds, is it possible to make greater benefit from Dextirity and still don't reduce the time of recovery action to the point, when attack's speed animations will speed up, making attack not more frequent but faster?
- Maybe will you reconsider adding some range to casting spells, like from one of attributes or talents or class specific abilities, or even items?

8. Bugs. People are saying "Obsidian makes buggy games". I'm very upset by this statement so I made this meme. I spend thousand of hours in your games, and I encounter only 1 gamebreaking bug in the final of Alpha Protocol (missing helicopter). What I experienced during Pillars of Eternity:
- Aloth's line when he introduces himself. The one short sentence with his name and last name - the sound is tearing.
- In my first playthrough of the White March part II, just before the great final, there is conversation with all party member about things to come (like in BG II before final fight with Irenicus at the tree). Eder (he was sent on adventure from Caed Nua, he wasn't even im my party at the time) spoked his line as same as my five active party members. This glitched timer of adventure and it never finished. I had to call Eder off from adventure. I'm not sure but it was Lanveder and Lye or Liminal Spaces aventure.
- Each time I fight Will O'Wisp when I clear out cortyard of Caed Nua before I go down to find Maerwold, fps drop to almost zero during this one mosnter animation. Sometimes game even freez and crash because this one Will O'Wisp there.
- While holding left mouse button to drag up and down text displayed in narrow window (from certain notes, letters and poems) it glitches scrolling by mousescroll - text just instantly jump to start if mousescroll was used after leftbutton draging I mentioned. Clicking on navigation up/down arrows at the right side of those narrow windows of text resolve this issue and mousescroll can be use again. This bug occures only in narrow windows (like letters in Ruined Temple of Eothas) while other books and journals displayed in wide windows works normal even after "draging" text by holding left mouse button.

9. Not Bugs but making me freaking mad:
- Right mouse button closes open window of books, notes and other windows with description of items, spells. Sometimes I accidentaly click right button that interrupts reading and this makes me angry. There is "x" to close window, there is escape button on keyboard. Why add this feature to right click? Maybe I'm too impulsive :D

10. Wishful thinking:
- Please design at least one sci-fi setting for isometric cRPG or real world cRPG (real world could be in any form, not preciesly isometric, like you did with Alpha Protocol). Something new, rare and unique like Tyranny (it has a strong Dark Sun vibe).
- Is there any chance for releasing some artbook or guidebook? I bought Pillars of Eternity Guidebook vol. 1 but I want more this type of collectable cool stuff.
- Any chance for polish translation of Chris Avellone's novela? Even as some kind of e-book format.

EDIT. Some thoughts I missed before:
- I will add something about interactive text-based cutscences - more of these. We had chace to use some spells in scenes like that in White March. Like casting ice spell on floe so it won't break under feet. I think this could serve as additional options in conversations or even to solve some mini quests. Beamdog used this type of creative thinking in Siege of Dragonspear. Mage could turn water into a wine (or rather cheap wine into high-end liquor)via dialog option instantly finishing this quest instead of asking dukes of Baldur's Gate for some wine from their storage or stealing from them.
- Failure should be consider as consequence equal with other outcomes of decisions - there is good example from New Vegas while working for Mr House, he want courier to save president of NCR but with negative reputation with NCR, outcome of this quest is instant failure.

Edited by Silvaren
  • Like 6

giphy.gif

I also bought through GOG, so this is general feedback, not about 3.04 particulars.

Good!  Even from the early kickstarter days.  The KS format led to a nice stream of progress mails through the development process, and post-release the responsiveness from Obsidian staff seems quite fine.  No complaints.

The number one thing that attracted me to PoE from the KS days was the promise of a no-DRM release on GOG, and a Linux-native version.  Most studios wouldn't have done either, so that's worth major karma points.  I stopped buying DRM-ed games a long time ago, so that would have been a non-starter for me.  Major bonus points for the Linux support, too, which I realize isn't a huge market.  I also appreciated the use of KS which, for both better and worse I suppose, lets fans feel more connected to the game as it's developed.

Also you own the IP rather than being beholden to another party.  You can take it where you want now, and that benefits me as a player indirectly.  You can worry about pleasing your market niche, rather than the entire mass market.  Obsidian is large enough to bring top-tier talent to a project like PoE, but small enough that it can do things the huge $100M-game-budget studios cannot, like pursue slightly niche markets.  This is the sweet spot, IMHO.

At the risk of belaboring the obvious, the game has amazingly nice artwork, and not a little bit of it either.  It's a pleasure to explore.  Top job by the artists and sound people.  The writing was (mostly) great too.  I won't say a few dialogs couldn't be tightened up a little, but generally, I appreciated that it bucked the modern trend away from text and reading.

Applying this question to the game, not the communication: the only thing stopping it from reaching 10/10 territory for me was the (lack of) difficulty.  Playing on PotD, there is some risk early on, but after act 1, I felt there was too much experience, and I was too over-leveled or over-powered to find much combat challenge.  The sense of danger went away.  There was some here and there, but in general terms, I feel a PoE2 would benefit from harder difficulty.  (Just at the upper options, I mean.  Of course there's still good reasons for story and easy modes).

Also, you haven't yet announced POE3 through 7.  This is a major area that could use improvement :p.

I would like PoE to turn into a series of games based on the same engine and combat/skill system, so clearly I would like to hear the franchise has a future, and if the market is there, you'll make more.  People who want well written, tactical, party based RPGs... we aren't exactly swimming in choices.  It's a small pond, but Ob is perfectly equipped to be the big fish in that pond, rather than a little goldfish in the massive FPS or RTS oceans.

I haven't been closely following Tyranny, but I hope to hear it would be available on similar terms to PoE: no-DRM, Linux support, GOG availability.  If so, it's a no-brainer buy for me purely on the strength of PoE.

What is the hardest fight you had in the game? What were your favorite and least favorite fights? Do you feel that there were any boss fights that were to overwhelming or underwhelming?

Early game feral druids were probably the hardest for me, measured by "chance of a party wipe".  My least favorite fights were probably ones that ignored the engagement mechanic.  It does add some difficulty, which is good, but not in a particularly satisfying way.  There aren't many positional tactics to be found in such fights, and it seems like it's a mask for lack of smart AI.  Underwhelming bosses: agreed with other folks here: the Kraken was severely underpowered.  I feel it should be on par with a mid-tier dragon in difficulty.  It was easier than many non-boss monsters.  Considering ToI mode, the game's risk is heavily front-loaded.  The further into the game you get, the less there is that can really hurt you.  It's too easy to build a nearly invulnerable group.

Edited by demeisen
  • Like 1

Ok, so i will write my non beta text here too, because i have a Gog install.

Great at the time Aarik was here, good as Sking took over, and to silent in between. Also from the making of Video I know you have a Jira, how awesome would a public read of the tickets created from the forum be? Many threads here got acknowledged but then never any response on status updates.

As already mentioned the sneaked in Novela was not communicated at all. You could have used the ingame announcement thing, and a backer post too. After all it was a Kickstarter reward.

Having dedicated community watchers.

3. What kind of things would you like to see us improve on PoE?
The game loop, the incredible 100% cpu and gpu burning game loop. I don't know what you have done, or if unity is to blame, but god damn, I have had to restart a few fights because of a thermal shutdown (GPU reached critical 103°C). Sadly my assembly foo is not good enough to find out why the loop is so crazy, and I have no debug symbols to ease that process.

And (maybe) related with it is the performance (fps) drop with each visible vfx on screen. With 3 bolts, 4 rays, 2 explosions and a heavenly solar lance the frame rate of the already maxed gpu goes near zero.

Gameplay Additional thoughts
You have given Eora a nice bunch of holidays and feasts, but as I reached one of such days in ingame time there was nothing :(. No one was celebrating, no one put nice little gifts on the way.

PoE 2 runs on a Pentium 3 with 60 fps ^^

5. Additional thoughts?
Next time let the translation teams play the game, so they see how lines belong together.

*edit 2* And don't ever use a Windows only Unity Plugin again. I want to have Cloaks too.

What did you like about the Community

The crazy ones which soloed PotD without anything, i could never have done this.

Combat:
Hardest? Any fight I tried with a to low level. The wolf pack at the start for example.

Thaos was doable in my play-through, although the character freeze bug triggered.

Additional Information:

1. The wrong skillcheck and slot tokens in the Stringtables (for all languages of course)
2. The auto scroll on linux to the bottom left after each transition.

Many thanks for making the long overdue group rpg with pauseable realtime combats

Edited by Xaratas
  • Like 1

5. Additional thoughts?

Next time let the translation teams play the game, so they see how lines belong together.

I doubt most translators do that. They just receive excel sheets with the text. WIth good preparation they might have information about max. text length and some basic infos about characters, settings, etc.

I doubt Obsidian had dedicated language testers. The excel export has also some flaws. Leftovers from macros. Additional blanks were added or removed when they were neccesarry etc.

Additional Information:

1. The wrong skillcheck and slot tokens in the Stringtables (for all languages of course)

Bug report is here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/77064-translation-errors-missing-translations-english/page-7?do=findComment&comment=1789864

Edited by Aurelio

What did you like about us?
Giving feedback to bug reports. Game in parts easy modable so people could fix some issues themselves.

What did you like about the Community

Working together to create the translation mods to fix language issues. I'm always amazed  about the skilled people who can mod games (E.g. IE mod, quest editor), or give detailed bug reports about inner workings about the game without access to the source code (e.g. Shader bugs in linux version).

*Snip

Good grief, Silvaren. This is your first post? That was some of the most well-thought out and eloquent writing I've read on a forum! AND english isn't your first language? 

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I just think you deserve a shout-out for that post. I loved reading your history with Obsidian devs and the games they've made because it very much echoes my own feelings with their games. Hilarious meme too. I would also add the first Icewind Dale too. Still play it all the time. 

Anyhoo. Very fun reading everyone's overall thoughts on the game. I hope Obsidian is getting some valuable feedback here.

Good grief, Silvaren. This is your first post? That was some of the most well-thought out and eloquent writing I've read on a forum! AND english isn't your first language? 

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I just think you deserve a shout-out for that post. I loved reading your history with Obsidian devs and the games they've made because it very much echoes my own feelings with their games. Hilarious meme too. I would also add the first Icewind Dale too. Still play it all the time.

Thanks but my post wasn't stricte about beta 3.04 but I'm testing it now on Steam so maybe I'll have more thoughts soon. I play mostly for fun so I'm not sure if I'll test everything.

Icewind Dale... Yxunomei, Jeremy Soule's music during characters creation and classic AD&D adventure. Brian Fargo said in one interview that first Icewind Dale was his favourite game of the golden era of cRPGs back in Interplay. I like to play Icewind Dale in December with open window to make "cool" atmosphere :D

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Good stuff guys/gals, we are loving the feedback. I'm putting together a short list of bugs that have come up since the beta went live in hopes we can get fixes in before we switch to live. I'll update with a 'wishlist' most likely early next week. 

- Sking

• Like 2

Hey Sking,

What about the proposal to make spirit shift special abilities 1/encounter instead of 1/rest? Is it being considered? I mentioned it in this other thread as well: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89399-the-304-beta-is-now-live-patch-notes-within/page-3

On a related note, it has been mentioned that Wolf spirit shift is supposed to give +1 move speed but doesn't. Probably minor but hopefully quick to fix; I believe I could put together a repro case for it but please let me know if it would be considered for fixing. If it's too minor I won't bother working on it :)

• Like 3

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Another one thing about fight with the Kraken.

I managed to kill this boss without drawing agro from eyless simply by staying in the left bottom corner of the area. I killed all of the tentacles and after that the rest of the kraken. If the eyless from the right side of the area showed up earlier this fight could be more challenging. And like someone said, it would be better to add some resitances for eyless and the Kraken. I stunned eyless and I stunned the Kraken during my first playthrough and I used these scrennshots in my review of second part o the expansion with some funny coments about stun from beating monsters in a place where they had vaccine injected (in my country it's popular joke from childhood - I'm not sure if it's funny for you all :D).

I had Pallegina with St. Ydwen Redeemer (and it wasn't even the last stage of soulband upgrades) and I didn't use Abydon's Hammer so I coud say that fights with eyless on Hard difficulty wasn't hard at all.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

AndreaColombo :

I think personnaly its a bad idea. The spiritform is extremly powerfull. Increase his power is a bad idea. OR !.... The bonus need to become reduced/nerf.

Cat 33 % bonus speed ? = 25 % bonus speed. etc.

If nof, I think its overpower.

Understand me : I'm not against the idea. I defended the 1/Encounter for the barb (heart of the fury). Here, I prefer the 1/encounter with 25 % speed than 33% by rest. BUT NOT with 33 % / encounter. Its too much in my opinion.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 1

How would you balance the stag form's carnage, though?

I understand the power concern, although I believe the issue with power in this game lies in under-leveled enemies and unintelligent A.I. more than in what players are able to achieve; however, +25% speed 1/encounter is already available via Outlander's Frenzy along with +2 MIG and +2 CON. There's no reason not to pick that talent for a spiritshift build, and Cat Flurry Attack wouldn't have anything better to offer (indeed, it would be strictly worse.) In that case, rather leave it as is--but I'd personally just use Outlander's Frenzy all the time and ignore the Flurry Attack.

What about the proposal to make spirit shift special abilities 1/encounter instead of 1/rest? Is it being considered? I mentioned it in this other thread as well: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89399-the-304-beta-is-now-live-patch-notes-within/page-3

I have an idea but it could break the meaning of whole 1/rest system. What if some abilities like Cat Flurry Attack would stay as 1/rest but with circumstantial factor which could trigger these abiliies to refresh? What if add small percentage chance to refresh Cat Flurry Attack on Critical Hit? It could work theoretically as intended but players would use this more frequently and they wouldn't hesitate to do so.

Balance would be natural thing - you use Cat Flurry Attack to shred some trash mobs - deflection of trash mobs isn't very high unless you are playing on PotD, so on different difficulty level than PotD you have good chances to score even several critical hits during the fight and each with small percentage chance of refresh Cat Flurry Attack. So players woudn't hesitate to use Cat Flurry Attack because of harder combat that may never come - thanks to chance of refresh ability. In oposite - in boss fights or encoutners with higher level enemies or more powerful monsters with high deflection your chance to score critical hits is automatically lower, so it would be hardly possible to refresh Cat Flurry Attack during the same fight - and after boss fights or harder combat most people would rest anyway.

I'm not sure if this type of changes is even possible at current state of game's code and it would require a lot of testing. I guess percentage chance of refresh very cool 1/rest abilities by critical hits would make people to use items which convert hits to critical hits.

By refresh I mean that ability would be ready for another use.

But there are spells like Divine Mark which lowers target's deflection by 25 granting opening for critical hits...

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif

Sorry, but very poorly...as far as I know only Adam Brennecke bothers to read and reply to communications. I cannot recall the last time Josh showed up on the forums, or even read anything coming out of here. It appears he avoids the forums entirely or is too busy. Whatever the reason, the lack of responsiveness from the director of a kickstarter game has been beyond belief for me. For ages we were pointing out the steep and uneven difficulty curve between levels 1 and 5, we were flagging the dismal performances of the rogue and barbarian, among other issues and nobody was listening. Our concerns did not get addressed while we got stuff like resistances arbitrarily shoved into the game thereby rendering several talents across different classes worthless  Many apologies if this feedback sounds harsh, it is only meant to be honest and lead to better outcomes. 

You guys did a good job with finishing and releasing the game within a decent time frame. You also provided beefy add-ons to keep players engaged. Obsidian deserves kudos for this. No one can complain of being shortchanged. 

You have kept your commitment to having a deep narrative in your games. This is good

I love the RTWP gameplay in PoE

We want all developers to play and tune the game on the hardest difficulty prior to release. If you guys had played PoE on PoTD, I am certain players would not have been tormented by so many balance related issues. (The Adra dragon being a prime example)

Gear and equipment has seemed to overwhelm/take away from the satisfaction of proper character construction based on skills and talents. My Barbarian should not have to rely on Forgemaster gloves before I can enjoy the class at its full potential. The power of the class should be in its talents and skills...gear should merely give flavor to the innate build

The excessive focus on balance in PoE caused the game to sometimes miss the point that every game at its heart should be fun. If players are enjoying something (overpowered or not) don't nerf it, do something else like improving enemy AI instead. For instance the RDD class in NWN2  added more fun factor to the game

Reduce party composition from six to four

Please allow players build and customize NPC companions. I would have gotten a lot of use out of reallocating the points Durance had in Resolve

I would like to see divine level game play. We raised this issue with Feargus during the Kickstarter and he said epic level gameplay will be more appropriate in a sequel. I hope he has not forgotten.

Upgraded graphics...3D if possible. I want to see my features and gear during gameplay. 

Remove the level cap. Players should continue to be rewarded

What is the hardest fight you had in the game? What were your favorite and least favorite fights? Do you feel that there were any boss fights that were to overwhelming or underwhelming?

All responses based on PoTD gameplay:

The Adra dragon on PoTD is the absolute worst fight. it was not properly tuned. The White March dragon has a breath weapon  that also one shots entire parties

Temple of Eothas shades were a tad too difficult for the level 1-5 area in which it is located. Also the stun attack in those fights needs to be tuned

The Ogre fights in Cad Nua were too hard for the party level when they are encountered

Edited by Anaeme