Best MC of the game (lore and/or abilities)

The best MC of the game, lore-wise or otherwise!  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best MC?

• Paladin - The real leader in and out of combat
    • Chanter - Versatility at its very best
    • Wizard - The strongest spell wielder
    • Cipher - For a watcher, nothing can fit more than this
    • Rogue - The real jack-of-all-trades
    • Fighter - Damage and durability. He who stands last wins
    • Barbarian - Talking is not for me, I bash 'em in the skull
    • Druid - Tank, CC, elements, shapeshift..lot to do!
    • Ranger - We've got reinforcements
    • Monk - My pain will be your pain
    • Priest - Buff-debuff and decent combat prowess

Hiya all fellow players.

Just curious about your opinion: what is the best MC one can choose in this game? I think about role, abilities, utility for a party... post your opinions!

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

For story I'd say a Cipher fits the watcher the best.

Not saying they are the best or my favorite class but that a class with mental abilities that is occasionally persecuted for them makes sense to travel to a new land and gain Watcher abilities from a biawac storm.

• Like 2

I also think the same applies for chanters... Somebody said on a thread before that chanters use Acient sole magic in their chants and invocations (according to the description), and thus make just as much sense to use as a main as ciphers. I do agree with that user. And to be honest, I prefer chanter over cipher... I feel like ciphers lack a certain touch of elegance ;)

Edited by Ben No.3
  • Like 1

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

The difference between a priest hireling and a mc priest when it comes to the healing power and damage done to vessels via Holy Radiance is also enormous if you choose your dialogue options carefully. So I say priest. It's also kind of nice from a rp perspective that a priest discovers that the gods are artificial beings. ;)

edit: oops, forgot "Holy Radiance"...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Which makes me wonder... Where does the priest draw his immense powers from?

Their power is gained by their faith. That's why priests of Eothas can work without their god.

For classes I love paladin, priest and druid. Cipher is fun for lore but I don't like class mechanics. Paladin has fantastic roleplay, endurance in combat and nice abilities. Druid is killing machine, spiritshift is insanly good, a lot of spells makes life easier. Finally I decided for priest because I remember how hard POTD was without this class (especially last fight and expansions). Best buffs, best debuffs, good roleplaying, insane healing on higher levels. I like priest for still waters running deep -  you can feel rising power for the course of game. Very similiar feeling I have for wizards. 

Which makes me wonder... Where does the priest draw his immense powers from?

Their power is gained by their faith. That's why priests of Eothas can work without their god.

For classes I love paladin, priest and druid. Cipher is fun for lore but I don't like class mechanics. Paladin has fantastic roleplay, endurance in combat and nice abilities. Druid is killing machine, spiritshift is insanly good, a lot of spells makes life easier. Finally I decided for priest because I remember how hard POTD was without this class (especially last fight and expansions). Best buffs, best debuffs, good roleplaying, insane healing on higher levels. I like priest for still waters running deep -  you can feel rising power for the course of game. Very similiar feeling I have for wizards. 

Let's not forget, that the gods, while not real gods are there as "artificial beings" (?) and can indeed support those who ahve faith in them like Thaos at the end or the mc when going down the pit.

I voted cipher but I also could have voted chanter, priest or paladin.

All make perfect sense storywise, cipher the most.

Rping is most fun with paladin and priest because dialogue choices matter.

But other than all of the other spellcasters who use actual sources of energy to cast spells, the priests do not get their power from a source (souls for chanters and ciphers, magical energy for wizards, nature's energy for Druids) but they seem to actually create it (which of course, from a physical standpoint, doesn't make sense). Also that ability seems to be nothing special but rather possessed by everyone since there is no limitation who can become a priest.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

For me Cipher makes the most sense story wise. I also find an Orlan from Aedyr/Old Valia/Slave Background works really nicely.

Just a pity I don't actually like Ciphers... Not that they are weak or anything, they just don't do anything for me.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I also think the same applies for chanters... Somebody said on a thread before that chanters use Acient sole magic in their chants and invocations (according to the description), and thus make just as much sense to use as a main as ciphers. I do agree with that user. And to be honest, I prefer chanter over cipher... I feel like ciphers lack a certain touch of elegance ;)

I think you may be talking about me ;). And I agree that Chanters fit a Watcher as much as ciphers, because their unique type of necromancy and tradition of remembering the past mean that a chanter would be the first to embrace the gift of being a Watcher.

Not only that, but both Watchers and Chanters are much closer to the original meaning of the term "Necromancer" than what you usually see on fantasy, being bridges between the living and the dead, the present and the past. It is only natural to have both in one character.

EDIT: not really my favorite class however. I don't love extreme micromanagement, but chanters take it too far in the other direction before late-game.

Edited by DreamWayfarer
  • Like 1

All of you have interesting points of view! I chose paladin for the completeness of the character. And mostly for the fact that he's a leader.

But could also agree with the priest. Don't know why but they always fascinate me..

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I voted fighter.

Some conversations (like with Maerwald or Wymund) that lead to combat force your watcher to the front. This means it's advantageous, however slightly, that your watcher belongs on the front line.

'course, if you go over the usefulness of watcher talents/abilities and also consider disposition effects for paladins/priests, it gets trickier.

Also I could argue that fighter is a good choice lore-wise too, perhaps being durable enough to survive the ordeal that leads to the awakening (though perhaps it should be about mental durability?). Seems people are approaching the whole lore aspect as if becoming a watcher is a choice your character makes.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

It may not be a choice ypur character makes, but I think someone already linked to souls of others, living or dead, would be more ready to accept it, and maybe even more likely to develop the condition.

Let's not forget, that our character has probably met Thaos over other lifetimes and never got awakened then.

(The tree chicks in Twin Elms say this)

So something special about him/her now made the awakening possible.

• Like 1

I once had a tree chick. It refused to lay eggs into those nice little nests I made for my chickens, like all the other chickens would do. Instead, it flew clumsily onto a branch of the nearest tree and lay an egg from here. Every day I had to clean up the mess under that tree. I guess that tree chick was awakened, too. Was probably a dove in its previous live.

Ooops - sorry for being super offtopic...

• Like 1

I tried to imagine how the MC can be justified in becoming so powerful so quickly. In this game, I imagined that it was due to being Awakened, since during the total of twelve months that my MC took to go through Acts 1-4 plus WM1 and WM2, it is kinda amazing that he suddenly becomes powerful enough to take down millenium old archmages and favored avatars, to say nothing of the antagonists in the Bog fight. Then I think to myself, what does Awakening do that confers such power? Knowledge gained from previous lives is how I would imagine it, which is why I favor casters. I've completed the game with druid, chanter and wizard, the last with all content upscaled. And I've found that the casters end big fights faster than the others.

I still can't decide whether a chanter is to be considered a caster. I mean... certain effects ( especially invocations ) are very caster-y... then I look at how he can stand amidst the battlefield and tank like a pro.... and think that chanters are gods.... hahah

Edited by Slack83er

I tried to imagine how the MC can be justified in becoming so powerful so quickly. In this game, I imagined that it was due to being Awakened, since during the total of twelve months that my MC took to go through Acts 1-4 plus WM1 and WM2, it is kinda amazing that he suddenly becomes powerful enough to take down millenium old archmages and favored avatars, to say nothing of the antagonists in the Bog fight. Then I think to myself, what does Awakening do that confers such power? Knowledge gained from previous lives is how I would imagine it, which is why I favor casters. I've completed the game with druid, chanter and wizard, the last with all content upscaled. And I've found that the casters end big fights faster than the others.

Well, keep in mind that all classes, regardless of whether they use magic or not, utilize the power of their soul to fuel class abilities. The Fighter's Knockdown ability is literally using their soul to over-power the enemy and force them off-balance. A Barbarian's Carnage isn't them hitting in wide, sweeping motions, it's the power of their soul exploding out of every hit they lay on the enemy. 

So Awakening will sensibly convey power to all classes. It doesn't explain why Aloth or Edér go from being nobodies to killing Archmages though, or why Durance, maker of the Godhammer can regain his lost power. I mean, it was literally sheared off. Shouldn't be there to recover/restore. 

Well, keep in mind that all classes, regardless of whether they use magic or not, utilize the power of their soul to fuel class abilities. The Fighter's Knockdown ability is literally using their soul to over-power the enemy and force them off-balance. A Barbarian's Carnage isn't them hitting in wide, sweeping motions, it's the power of their soul exploding out of every hit they lay on the enemy.

Really? And a rogue's Cripplng Strike doesn't injure the senews or something like that, it's his soul that drives into enemies' knees and makes them wobble? ;)

Who said that by the way?