I wondered what kinda character would be the fastest caster? I have my money on a Priest with minor avatar for max dex, is it that one? He has no innate speed modifiers thou. U could make a barabarian that has no recovery after each kill but that needs u to kill something. 

All you mega wise on this forum pls enlighten me ;D!

Imo, Elf Wizard protagonist with maxed-out DEX and durganized robes opening the fight with DAOM.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I included that in "maxed-out DEX" ;) should get to 30, I believe:

18 + Elf + Archipelago + Caed Nua resting bonus + Rauatai Sweet Pie + Ring + Caroc's sacrifice

That's a whopping +60% speed.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

A cipher with Time Parasite can be as fast as a wizard - but later in the game and you have to pile up some focus first - it lasts longer than DAoM though. He can also pile up his DEX into the sky with Wild Leech if he's lucky. It stacks. Had a MIG value of 56 at one point while I was only casting Wild Leech while my team mates had my Reaping Knives - should also be possible with DEX, but it's all random. So I think a cipher can be the fastest caster out there.

By the way you can add Spelltongue (+15%) and Gauntlets of Swift Action (+15%) to the mix.

A priest could also add Aggrandizing Radiance. And A Nature Godlike priest with Aggrandizing Radiance under 50% endurance could even add another +2 DEX. But in theory a cipher could still be faster if he's lucky with Wild Leech.

A barbarian with 9 fireballs from spell binding (2*Flames of Fair Rhian, 1* Taluntain's Staff) and some scrolls can quickly get into a 0 recovery frenzy. After some fireballs or Fan of Flames he starts to kill enemies and once that starts there's no holding back. It's still worse than dual wieldung + HoF + Combusting Wounds though. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

But priest should still clearly beat those 2 becouse he gets DAoM from items/potion and just higher dexterity than anyone? Exept Beorers lycky Cipher then i guess ;D

Wizard should be strictly worse than both Priest, Cipher and Barbarian

Edited by bescheid

Wizard can use Citzals Martial Power and use spell bindings or scrolls then (still work). He will also have +8 DEX. Only 2 less than the priest. Not "strictly" worse. And you can factor in that he could call a duplicate which also could cast - doubling his casting speed sort of... for a short time. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Gauntlets of Swift Action apply to spells too? Whoa!

Wizard can use Citzals Martial Power and use spell bindings or scrolls then (still work). He will also have +8 DEX. Only 2 less than the priest. Not "strictly" worse. And you can factor in that he could call a duplicate which also could cast - doubling his casting speed sort of... for a short time. ;)

Yes strictly worse than Priest;) 2 dex is 2 dex! But nice u mentioned Citzals didnt think of that u could still use scrolls and such thx!

The max dex achievable by a cipher would be 18(base)+1(racial)+1(culture)+3(rest)+2(brothel)+4(item)+1(effigy)+1(boon)+5(invocation)+10(leech)=46. With the Gauntlets of Swift Action, the buff from Spelltongue and Time Parasite he can also have close to 0% recovery. 

In practice, I've found that Dex in the 22 region with little to no armour (Durgan-reinforced padded or robes for example) still gives exceptionally fast casting - I think it's what's made the boss fights on my Gunslinger build pretty easy when paired with high Intellect for long durations.

I guess if you want to max Dex for the fun sake of it for a particular build then that's okay, but getting it much higher the early 20s will likely lead to diminishing returns in terms of what else you could be spending those points on.

• Like 1

The max dex achievable by a cipher would be 18(base)+1(racial)+1(culture)+3(rest)+2(brothel)+4(item)+1(effigy)+1(boon)+5(invocation)+10(leech)=46. With the Gauntlets of Swift Action, the buff from Spelltongue and Time Parasite he can also have close to 0% recovery.

Wild Leech stacks, so in theory a cipher could have +10 to DEX mutiple times. As I said, I once had 56 CON on my cipher - 16 base + 40 from Wild Leech. "In theory" because you never know which stat gets boosted. So it's not of much use in the game itself unless you want to cast Wild Leech only all the time. It debuffs pretty nicely, too and the buff to all the other stats that will occour are also welcome. Maybe you can even prolong that with Spelltongue - but I doubt it because the effect seems to be attached to the enemy only, not to you. It doesn't even show up in the list of active effects. You can only observe it when you look at your current stats.

But Spelltongue surely prolongs Time Parasite.

A priest with Aggrandizing Radiance + Minor Avatar would be more reliable but only can get DAoM by potion and his buffs are per rest, whether a cipher could do it endlessly as long as there are enemies to hit.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Nope, not for sure. As I said once I had 56 MIG because all leechings went to MIG at that time. Guess I was lucky. I think there's no hard limit.

It's hard to keep up a lot of them at the same time. You need a lot of speed,  ACC for crits , a lot of INT for duration and also tons of focus. I tried to use Time Parasite plus Reaping Knives on a team mate and it worked quite well - but even then I wasn't able to stack more than two leechings on one  stat because the damn thing would always choose a different stat. :)

I guess it doesn't work if you cast it all onto one foe. You have to cast it on different foes. At least that was my impression. Maybe that is the "stacking rule". But to be honest I didn't even try that. I always chose a different target.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1