Hi mates, I would like to know what class you recommend me to play on PoD difficulty. I want to know if there is a viable build to make a melee character with high survivance and able to do good damage. Which is the best class to off-tank/dps?. I have started playing a Two-hander Paladin with heavy armor but not sure if is the best option. 

For the other hand, which is the best melee class to Triple crown solo on PoD?. Thanks and sorry for my limited english.

I can't say where you draw the line between melee and non melee classes. I guess you mean fighter, barb, monk and paladin?

Best melee offtank/dps in my opinion: monk... until lvl 13, then barbarian

Easiest TCS-PoTD melee class: paladin I'd say

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes I mean Paladin, Rogue, Barbarian, Fighter.

I don't like monks because I hate how they look fighting with their hands xD.

I want a character able to receive some damage while he does good damage vs one target. I will try Paladin then, thanks for answer.

Then why don't you put a weapon in the monk's hands?

The char you described would be a fighter or monk.

Paladins are not very good dps characters until lvl 13, but sturdy and great supportes as well as good burst damage appliers.

Monks can do tremendous single target damage as well as a lot of AoE damage. They don't need to go unarmed. All their abilities work with weapons, too. They get stronger with every hit they take.

Barbs are better at dealing AoE damage and become great meat shields after some levels.

Fighters mainly do good single target damage and are very sturdy.

Rogues do great single target damage but fall apart when enemies look at them (you can build them more sturdy though).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

No you just are < lvl 13 with pala..

Edit: nevermind, i understood the opposite of what you said...

Anyway pala is good for the First 2 shots ( flame of devotions) , after that fighter is better ( +5 starting accuracy, +10% dmg talent, -20% armor recovery, can prone 2 times a fight... )

Edited by Dr <3

Actually, fighters can do a lot of damage with the right abilities and talents. Disciplined Barrage alone leads to a big increase of damage. Combine that with Savage Attack, Knock Down, Appr. Sneak, Weapon Spec & Mastery and Armored Grace and you'll have a really good single target DPS guy with lots of standing power (for a DPS char).

But I still consider monks to be more powerful. ;)

Monks are sure more fun imo. Even if you'd play 'em bare handed, they're fun. Boeroer knows I'm no expert in PotD, but since monk is a class that relishes on pain, I'd say he's right to say they're more suited for you than the plain fighter..

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Oki, thanks for the answers guys.

One more question, what spec is better for melee DPS? Two-Handed or Dual-Wield?. And what weapons are better?, I like flais.

Testing on low level fighter, Dual Wield seems to do much more damage. I can kill without problem 2 or 3 mobs in Raedric casttle solo with my lvl 4 fighter.

Thanks!

It generally depends on your build, but most times (and until patch 3.04 drops), dual-wielding Sabres will get you the highest DPS.

After patch 3.04 two-handers may be better but again it depends on your build, as dual-wielding makes it easier to attack really fast.

If you're at 0 recovery with both styles, two-handers have an edge.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Best tank dps is chanter, tho the dps doesn't come from weapon damage but chant.

Probably not what you wanted to know but I threw it in there for good measure.

Otherwise everyone else is right about monk ofc.

If you have a lot of Full Attacks - like monks have with Torment's Reach, Fighters up to 3 knockdowns per enounter and so on, dual wielding will always give you more damage with those Full Attacks because you'll get two attacks instead of one. After patch 3.04 I guess it depends on the enemy. Against high DR foes two handers are better. Against "softer" targets dual wielding should be better.

With weapon & shield you'll have a lot more defenses and more staying power though. That sometimes means you can do more damage because you don't get knocked out. ;)

A nice compromise is full attacks with a bash shield - especially with full attacks where the damage is not determined by the weapons' base damage. Because bash has crappy damage, but for example Torment's Reach doesn't care. It deals AoE crush damage that is not influenced by the weapon damage.

^ yeah, it's that

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think a tank Chanter would be pretty good for Triple Crown. Something I've noticed is that the Dragon Thrashed often applies to Confused enemies (e.g. Confusion can have different stages, they'll take damage in their wander stage but won't when they're attacking their friends).

I'm playing solo PotD with my Gunslinger Chanter, who - though they have some tanky capabilities - aren't really a true tank, and I've found the Kraken, Adra and Alpine Dragons a cakewalk (with the previously mentioned tactic on the latter two); I imagine if you go a tank Chanter it's all the easier. The Bog Dragons are immune to confused, so I'll have to wait and see how they turn out - but I'm not too worried.

Like i said in other places: if you go for a fully def Chanter build ( max str & cons for very High fortitude and health pool + sword & shield, medium shield or little savion later, cautious attack, bear fortitude, Snake reflex, excellent deflecion ) you can winning boss fights just drinking llengrath potions and casting defensive scrolls while the burning chant take care of everything.

I succeded in "the ultimate" achivement that way, and the worst fight where the big dragons, but they were manageable after all

I don't really see the purpose in high con, since you can just use ancient memory and veterans recovery for endurance and wound binding for health... I really like wound binding for my solo chanter, it basically spares me camping supplies ;)

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

High CON (and MIG) lead to high fortitude. You can't even sing a song if you're disabled (prone and Withdraw aside) - and most afflictions that completely disable you target fortitude. That's one reason. The other is that with high CON, high DR AND all the self healing things you listed you can eat a lot more grazes and that can be essential in tough fights.

But I consider high fortitude to be the more important outcome.

If you are Fire Godlike you also might want very high CON - because 50% of let's say 300 endurance is the same as 150 endurace if you have dumped CON. You can retaliate with fire and still have the same endurance as someone with low CON. But it's obviously a very special situation... 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Fair enough... But for example I use a 15-10-3-14-18-18 (Wild Orlan) spread for my chanter, and honestly,I wouldn't know where to get these extra points for con... If I need extra fortitude I just use the Lvl 1 chant (I'm only at the beginning from act II and since I'm not on PoTD but on hard it's usually enough...), especially since it also boosts my invocations fortitude, I believe . But please do correct me if I made mistakes, I'd really like to have a efficient chanter running around.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I wouldn't max out RES - but that's just me. For me it's ok to loose a few points of deflection and will and a little bit of concentration because those can be buffed more easily than fortitude. Raising fortitude is possible of course, but it's harder.

And the other thing: if you get grazed instead of missed by a normal hit that targets deflection it's not that bad. You get damaged a bit and that's it. No after effects.

But if you chatch a graze from a disable like stun, paralyze or petrify that's nearly as bad as a hit - because then your other defenses will drop immensely and that can mean game over for you because all the hits that follow do harm you a lot more.

On hard this may make no big difference, no idea.

Although: In a party with a chanter who uses The Dragon Thrashed it's not bad if he has a lot of will defense - so in this case it's also a good approach to use 18 INT and 18 RES.

Getting burned by your own chant is not so cool. :)

Edited by Boeroer

If you wanna min max for solo maxing Res will just not do at all, 10-12 Res more is not needed either.

As mentioned before the fortitude coming from MI and CON is much more important.

I would always max MI first the health from CON is not that important.

Yeah i totally agree with boerer...

When soloing in particolar, fortitude > every other def, even deflecion...

And if you take a yellow potion you became pratically immune to every status effect ( they graze you all the time, and you subtract 4 sec to the duration)

So i would go for max might & 15-18 in con with 8-10 points in resolve.

Just writing here because, after all those builds tested, I'm confused about what to play ;) It sounded like it could be fitting with this thread ;)

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I must say I enjoyed my fire retaliation monk on my first playthrough but i am enjoying my fighter on second play through much more, but I didn't min max much

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"