Non-PotD Chanter.. need info on the exact role in party.

I know, the scientist will relate to living lands... but those are described as savage and full of madmen ;) so I thought it fit...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

6 Chanters wins the game - but everytime someone gets charmed he dies xD

I'd rather use 1 hatchet (because of the ACC bonus +12 ACC is nice for dragon thrashed) instead of 2 - or 1 hatchet+shield... the weapon isnt the part with damage (at least not with hatchets)

damn, my monk died stupidly yesterday (ToI), now i am thinking about playing chanter a bit more (it simply suXX that the soulbound armor is bugged for monk... so my build isnt done for the lategame... and i never used a cast chanter, always a dragon thrashed+summons one)

6 Chanters wins the game - but everytime someone gets charmed he dies xD

I'd rather use 1 hatchet (because of the ACC bonus +12 ACC is nice for dragon thrashed) instead of 2 - or 1 hatchet+shield... the weapon isnt the part with damage (at least not with hatchets)

damn, my monk died stupidly yesterday (ToI), now i am thinking about playing chanter a bit more (it simply suXX that the soulbound armor is bugged for monk... so my build isnt done for the lategame... and i never used a cast chanter, always a dragon thrashed+summons one)

Heyyy from what I understand you're THE authority in the mad Chanter!

So... I thought I could benefit either aesthetically or practically from the shield or maybe the 2 hatchets...

it's just that I like sticking to a concept...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Soloing with a chanter who uses the "Kindness" chant followed by several "Come Sweet Winds" for building phrases up for Seven Nights is not that much less dps than with Dragon Thrashed, but at the same time a lot more tanky in combination with self heals like Veteran's Recovery (Ancient Memory after with version 3.04, too) and potions/scrolls and even Wound Binding. Like described in my Chillfog Build. With low DEX and thick armor the recovery after casting Seven Nights takes a bit, but it's still ok. With DT only you don't have any recovery at all, but at the same time it's more boring of course.   

I don't know if they are going to nerf the +12 ACC for chants that you get when going one handed. It's a bit stupid that only one weapon only makes your songs "hit" better.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well Boer, I don't wanna solo, y'know... so I'll get help from my comrades... 

What do you prefer as bg? White or Lands?

And even if the chants get better with 1 hand...would you not take 2weapons or weapon and shield?

I don't know if they are going to nerf the +12 ACC for chants that you get when going one handed. It's a bit stupid that only using one weapon makes your songs "hit" better.

If they fix the bugs i dont care about the +12 ACC...

i am thinking about a fun playthrough where i use charm all the time - with low might! Next patch the main problem should get fixed (fight end if all enemies are charmed) so it sounds real fun to walk around charming everything!

And even if the chants get better with 1 hand...would you not take 2weapons or weapon and shield?

2 weapons... i'd only use them if they can deal damage, hatchets are a bad choice for damage... so 1 hatchet+shield or 1 hatchet, but i'd never use 2 hatchets... i'd change to other weapons in that case

Edited by Reent

i am thinking about a fun playthrough where i use charm all the time - with low might! Next patch the main problem should get fixed (fight end if all enemies are charmed) so it sounds real fun to walk around charming everything!

Sounds exactly like the Drake's Ambassador - without the drake part. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Well Boer, I don't wanna solo, y'know... so I'll get help from my comrades... 

What do you prefer as bg? White or Lands?

I meant Reent. :)

I prefer no certain background. Has to fit into your idea of the character. Stat wise both are ok.

I prefer no certain background. Has to fit into your idea of the character. Stat wise both are ok.

I does fit my idea of Skald. I'm just getting doubts about the weapons... skalds use hatchets... but they are weak... sigh..

They are great if you like your deflection. And dps wise they are not much worse than all the other fast, small one handed weapons. There's a rending one that comes with burning lash, so not too bad.

I you're concerned that they are not good enough for your melee damage per hit, take battle axes instead. Same style, less defenses, more damage.

Deflection for me please! ;) Skalds don't wear heavy. They wear the skin of killed beasts.

Edited by Slack83er

Skald - I'd probably go Dwarf/Human - wayfarers hide and stag helm. Batltle axe, Pike or Spear. Skalds as far as I know originated in Scandinavia. So Barbarian or Chanter as a class. Possibly Druid could work. But hide armour definitively. Other option is the armour in the asylum, can never remember its name or heaven forbid its pronunciation.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Dwarf...Don't Like... not savage enough. I too liked human, but it's so... predictable... and no really good bonus... 

What you say about skalds is true, Scandinavian origin. But the hatchet is the signature weapon of that people. We could cope with the battle axe, no big difference, more damage, less defense. I don't know if I like barbarian (not as a class, which I like, but lore-wise). They don't have any war chant or cry... I wish I could multiclass...

From level 1 Barbs have a Yell ability that Frightens the enemy.

Yeah, I know... but it's not how I intend my Skald to be... let's see if I can clarify this for you guys:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/4e/49/954e49337938de5c35324f02a0d3c7b1.png

Hope it works....

• Like 1

Chanters have that as a chant, too. And an invocation that terrifies. I mean Skalds are basically lore keepers, wayfaring poets and storytellers who also could and would fight. Can't see any other class that fits better than a chanter here. Although skalds didn't sing a lot but did more recitations and storytelling. But still. There was something like rune-singers in finland/estonia - a kind of skald (who were located in Norway and Island mostly) who sings songs which were called "runes". Same thing as skalds just with more music I guess. Rune-Singer also sounds more mystical I must say. ;)

• Like 1

From level 1 Barbs have a Yell ability that Frightens the enemy.

Yeah, I know... but it's not how I intend my Skald to be... let's see if I can clarify this for you guys:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/95/4e/49/954e49337938de5c35324f02a0d3c7b1.png

Hope it works....

That's from a fantatstic (maybe Pen & Paper RPG) background though with a lot of interpretation from the realm of "freedom of arts".

Where it comes from is of little relevance Boer... The Idea I have in mind, is a fanatic "almost possessed" bard/barbarian who exalts his comrades with war chants and cries. I don't exactly know if this translates better into a chanter or into a barbarian, in the world of PoE... I vote for a chanter. 

As for the race, I could pick human, sure it fits better than elf, but game-wise, he's noticeably weaker in special abilities... humans are so...meh...

Where it comes from is of little relevance Boer... The Idea I have in mind, is a fanatic "almost possessed" bard/barbarian who exalts his comrades with war chants and cries. I don't exactly know if this translates better into a chanter or into a barbarian, in the world of PoE... I vote for a chanter.

As for the race, I could pick human, sure it fits better than elf, but game-wise, he's noticeably weaker in special abilities... humans are so...meh...

I say you should pick a Pale Elf. After all elves come from escandinavian and germanic folklore.

Better yet, if you take the Seven Nights invocation and wield either the Rimecutter axe (very hard to get, depends ob RNG) or the White Spire estoc you can have an ice theme as well. The second weapon also increases the accuracy of allies targeting the same foe, which fits the rallying part.

To go with the theme, use the low level chants most of the time (the defense buffs and fear aura fit well your concept), and have fun with your invocations (calling vengefull spirits, paralysing people with a terrifying scream, summoning blades of glacial ice, ressurecting your allies or empowering yourself with an warcry).

For stats, I'd suggest average physical attributes and high mental ones if the chanter is supposed to be your main character, with an emphasis on INT. If not, increase CON and MIG instead of RES and PER, but don't dump anything either way. Skills should be lore first and survival second. Which also heppen to be the skills that give the most dialogue options.

Pale elf would work really nicely. Quite coincidently Boeroer has a pale elf build called Chillfog, though I wouldn't follow it exactly for this particular build, for instance I'd go hide armour not plate. Also pale elves have beards which look cool, though perhaps not so much on their ladies....

Pale Elves also fits in with lore - you just need to read "the broken sword" by Poul Anderson :)https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broken_Sword

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

I'm wondering, how useful is using sure -handed chant together with the three wurms you can summon?

Sry for stealing the thread

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

BTW there are a couple of really good hatchets, one very early the other not so much. Not sure if you want the locations though.

Lord of Light

I'm building my chanter on the basis of Rheingold's example couple pages up. Lore, Survival, Mechanics. Either 2 hatchets or 1 hatchet 1 round shield, pale elf, prolly white that wends, mystic. High Mental stats along with good strenght. Let's see what comes out of it. I'll be able to respec the stats later if something goes wrong..

Edit. Rhein... the first hatchet only please!

Edited by Slack83er