Non-PotD Chanter.. need info on the exact role in party.

Chanters are great, as many people have mentioned there are a number of approaches... Ranged, tank, dps(at high level). I personally like dwarves. And I quite like the winter of the World Series, so a boreal dwarf from white that wends with the laborer (smith) background is great especially for white March. With relatively high might, resolve, Int and lore gets a lot of dialogue checks. Also ends up as a smith being the mechanics trap guy. With all of that he is a beastly dps character, and an awesome tank. And he switches easily from passive to active just by switching chants. Probably my favourite character and that includes my nature godlike Druid. Ticks all the boxes from power to role playing and thats not easy.

Please Rhein, describe me this build in a bit more details, I kinda like it!!

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Phew, I'm probably more of a role player though I do appreciate some of the power builds out there.

He is more of generalist but the great thing about chanters is they don't really loose anything by that. So I'm not sure if you've read the winter of the world books by Michael Scott Rohan. Fantasy heavily influenced by mythology and ancient history. Long and short of it, set pre history, pre historic times in an ice age. The smiths in those lands are the mages, who creates fantastic works by infusing magic and chanting. The greatest smiths are the duergar, dwarves, (though actually the Neanderthals in this world).

So boreal dwarf from White that Wends with the laborer background. When Callista asks just tell her that you where a smith whose master was jealous of you - which is incidentally, remarkably similar to the books.

I don't min/max so I normally keep all stats at a minimum of 10 except:

Might 16

Int 16

Con 10/12

Resolve 14/16

Heavy armour - though I don't like plate so brigandine works for me, until the soul bound breast plate in White March.

Helmet and hammer from the shop just out the adventurers guild in DB. Can't remember the names, but the helmet gives +2 intellect and more importantly looks the part. The helmet from the quest in white March is also good as is the Stag helm. Wayfarers hide and the stag helm look great on a dwarf. (As you can see I'm not the biggest power gamer out there).

I normally build him as a tank with two handed weapon as an option, so a large shield, and eventually he will get Abydons hammer. But will use the shield in tough fights.

Stack the defensive feats - cautious attack, superior deflection, weapon and shield etc and he ends up with around 145 deflection. Add an item with constitution bonus... I'm serious when I say he is a better tank than any of my Paladins have ever been.

I take dragon thrashed for flavor but hardly ever use it. I far prefer the ice bolt seven nights for damage, which means using shorter chants. So I use soft winds and wendrith most of the time.

So invocations: seven nights, renys ghost, at the sound of his voice, the lover cried out, and white worms, the drake summon and the champion braved their horde.

Chants: wendrith, soft winds of death, harbingers of doom, rime and frost, dragon thrashed and courage thick as steel.

I don't take ilya because he's normally in the front line. I also take some abilities and talents for flavour, so I take secrets of Rime and scion of flame as he is a smith.

Don't forget to name your chants as well:) that's one of the more interesting aspects of the class.

Obviously he would work fine without the white March expansion.

The bottom line he is very flexible but doesn't sacrifice any power.

He gets loads of dialogue options, ends up with around 8 lore or so which is enough for some good scrolls, is the mechanics monkey, does some serious damage at high level, has the option to do crowd control while being the best tank in the party and looks good doing it.

Edited by rheingold
  • Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Rhein you know I don't min max so I really appreciate your build. Have you already played it for an entire play through? So you give him warhammer? and what kind of sword and board? I'm not a huge fan of it... oh and... do you take kana with you?

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I have played a couple of playthroughs with him :) works nicely.

I usually give him a one handed hammer and the biggest shield he can get. Normally it's the shield from the slaver bounty. When he gets Abydons hammer he will use that for the majority of fights. He should have around 110 deflection without a shield. Comfortably. So he'd use the shield in tough fights. I'd imagine on hard though, he'd get away going two handed for most of the fights.

I'd also use shorter chants on hard as the fights are shorter. Just make sure to use all 4 slots for chants - have a couple shorter and quicker low level chants and then a couple of the slower more powerful ones. You can switch in the middle of a fight then.

Re Kana, I have used 2 chanters but not on a regular basis. Boeroer and Raven have both used multiple chanters in a playthrough so they'd be the ones to ask. But it should work really well. Wether or not you are losing something by doubling up on a class I can't say.

Re sword and board, well chanters are flexible, you can give him a gun and Ilya or a two handed weapon. But a chanter is never going to do a lot of weapon based damage, he's never going to come remotely close to a rogue or even fighter. Chanter damage comes mainly from dragon thrashed or seven nights.

Dragon thrashed you get at 9th level, seven nights at 10th I think. Until then your damage output is pretty well pathetic.... So if you want a damage dealer chanter is not a great idea. They do a substantial amount of damage - at high level. They just bring so much more to the party....

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Thank you Rhein, you have been most helpful. I must say, he is a strange kind of tank, but surely a funny one! I didn't get exactly if you chose the dwarf because he is good for this, or just out of roleplay... rest assured that tomorrow, I'll try him out.

• Like 1

The dwarf is just for role play, durgans keep, a smith enchanter Mage, a big hammer.... Really the race is not that important. Choose whatever race you want. For me I like dwarves.... Enjoy tomorrow or should I today:)

• Like 1

Lord of Light

Rule of thumb: The more chanters in a party the better. :)

Very low micro. Veeeery looow. 

That's good to hear, 'cos I really like to have Kana in the party.... do their chants stack?

6 chanters for the win. :p

The damage chants stack, even soft winds does.

Must be a tad boring though:)

• Like 1

Lord of Light

Oh yes, maybe so... but the chanter itself is fun... Tried your version this morning.. it works, alright.. I'm not very sold on the dwarf, i can't imagine dwarf who sing...hehe but nevertheless it works...

• Like 1

6 chanters for the win. :p

The damage chants stack, even soft winds does.

Must be a tad boring though:)

Yea, it's zero Micro.

One of the few parties where AI actually works pretty well.

There's a reason I never finished my 6 chanters and it's definitely not because it was to weak. :D

Oh yes, maybe so... but the chanter itself is fun... Tried your version this morning.. it works, alright.. I'm not very sold on the dwarf, i can't imagine dwarf who sing...hehe but nevertheless it works...

Well, in Hobbit and LoTR everyone sang whenever they had the opportunity, including dwarves.

• Like 1

Well, in Hobbit and LoTR everyone sang whenever they had the opportunity, including dwarves.

That's true... but maybe it's just because I don't wanna copy someone else's char entirely.. moreover, he's passionate about the dwarf's story in the book...I don't have that bond...

Reent, come to think of it... You made me think of a Skald.... Maybe Aumaua, or even human... two hatchets.... mmmm

Reent, come to think of it... You made me think of a Skald.... Maybe Aumaua, or even human... two hatchets.... mmmm

Sounds fun, altough I'd recomend hatchet+shield in one slot and staff on the other. There us even a speed-enchanted staff that may allow good weapon damage with Their Cgampion Braved The Horde Alone. Not spetacular but still useful if you find yourself bored by Dragon Thrashed.

Would you go human or aumaua? (or other race?) The staff may be useful but is out of context...

I mean that skalds use hatchets... they're crazy visionaries not calm travellers... :)

Nothing keeps crazies from using staffs. I mean, look at Durance! :p

Hey, durance is not crazy... poor man... or at least not like maerwald! ;)

Here's a build that I've come out with: 

A pale Elf, from the White t.w. armed with hatchet and board. Background: mystic (or scientist...maybe he takes alchemical drugs to go in trance during battle cries?)

Someone can maybe tell me if, once in the expansions the cold resistance will prove useful? 

Anyway.. just comment ;)

Here's a build that I've come out with:

A pale Elf, from the White t.w. armed with hatchet and board. Background: mystic (or scientist...maybe he takes alchemical drugs to go in trance during battle cries?)

Someone can maybe tell me if, once in the expansions the cold resistance will prove useful?

Anyway.. just comment ;)

Pale Elf is my favorite race :). And yes, its passive will prove useful. BTW, the scientist background is not available for those from The White That Wends, but on the other hand mystic is unique to the location.