Defiant Resolve and Crucible of Suffering question

So, do they stack? I'm thinking of a somewhat unique monk build for my next solo run, and as I like to plan things out well in advance I was curious to know if they stacked up? It's a little hard to test seeing as you'd have to warp to someone who will affect you with a will attack, which can be easier said than done so I was hoping someone might already know.

Does Crucible of Suffering also stack with Scrolls of Defence too?

Thank you kind people in advance.

Crucible is everything except Deflection, right? In that case they almost certainly stack, because there are separate AllDefences and AllDefencesExceptDeflection ModifiedStats (naming might be a bit different, but same idea). Scroll of Defence and Defiant Resolve would affect the first, Crucible the second. I'll check to be sure tonight, but I have no doubt that they will stack (Scroll and Defiant Resolve shouldn't with each other, though). They will also all stack with active/modal bonuses to individual defences, by the way.

Crucible is everything except Deflection, right? In that case they almost certainly stack, because there are separate AllDefences and AllDefencesExceptDeflection ModifiedStats (naming might be a bit different, but same idea). Scroll of Defence and Defiant Resolve would affect the first, Crucible the second. I'll check to be sure tonight, but I have no doubt that they will stack (Scroll and Defiant Resolve shouldn't with each other, though). They will also all stack with active/modal bonuses to individual defences, by the way.

You've talked about AllDefences before, so I was hoping that was the case. A +20 shift to fort/reflex/will and +10 to deflection when being exposed to a fear effect (or other will attack - but mainly fear due to the low duration and the fact all boss monsters have it) sounds pretty great.

Scrolls of Defence and Defiant Resolve do stack for sure as well, just went and double checked on the Adra Dragon with my Chanter. I guess they must be applied in different ways for some reason.

Edited by Jojobobo

By the way: why exactly do things like Stalwart Defiance, Shielding Touch, Shielding Flames and Inspiring Triumph all stack (also with Reinforcing Exhortation)? I mean code-wise. What's the difference or which "group" are they in? I'm playing a Shieldbearer atm with said talents/abilities and when he decides to fully buff the deflection of my barb tank (who has Stalwart Defiance of course) and pick up Outworn Buckler, too, it gets really ridicilous. Shielding Flame and Insp. Triumph alone stack to a nice +19 bonus to all my party members when I shoot some squishy foe with my arquebus.  :)

I also have the impression that Circle of Defense stacks with everything, or is it in the "AllDefenses" section and therefore stacks with the above because of that (but would not with Defiant Resolve for example)?

Since all other racials stack with everything (like Wellspring of Life stat bonuses stack with every other stat bonus) and also all talents attached to abilitites (see above, or Inspiring Radiance, Inspiring Exhortation and so on) I guess Defiant Resolve also stacks with everything. I recall that Kaylon said something like that in one of his videos where he kills a dragon with a wild orlan paladin.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That's right actually, those triggered passive abilities always stack. Works for Wellspring of Life, but also eg. Defiant Resolve or Bloodlust; it's because they count as passive. So in this case it doesn't matter what stat they actually affect. Though as it turns out for some reason Defiant Resolve is four individual bonuses rather than a single one to AllDefense. Similarly, Crucible actually also is three individual bonuses rather than one to AllDefensesExceptDeflection. I suspect those were implemented fairly early in development, whereas those composite ModifiedStat's are much more recent. 

Scroll of Defense and Circle of Protection do both affect AllDefense, so those don't stack with each other, though they will with Crucible.

As for the ones Boeroer mentioned: Inspiring Triumph stacks for the same reason as Wellspring et al., the ability it originates from is passive. The other three all modify activate abilities, and stack because they have AbilityType.Talent which as it turns out makes them inherently stackable. Given the amount of digging through the code you need to do to find that out, I think we can safely designate that "not very intuitive". 

• Like 2

Yeah, I hope so too. They should keep the code much more structured and relational I think. If the code more closely matches the developer's conceptual intuition of what it is representing, it is much less likely to result in errors. The whole StatusEffects thing in particular is just not very intuitive (pretty much any effect is immediately translated into a StatusEffect on the characted; eg. Knock Down effect = OneHit StatusEffect on attacker, weapon enchantment = StatusEffect on wielder, etc.)

Edited by Loren Tyr